Bipod

• Nitrodog

Looking to get a bipod for my rifle for antelope hunting. Any suggestions what to looks for and what brand to go with?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

The height of the sage brush often dictates what height is best. Too many times I needed 2-5 more inches of height. So I went two directions.

I pack a tripod and find I use it most often. I have the older Caldwell dead shots and they work ok. The legs have more to be desired, but still work well. I’m replacing them with BOG when they retire.

I have all Harris bipods now. They’re solid and I’ve had very few issues over the last 30 or so years.most common is the leg screws falling out with continuous open-close on cheap pods. Haven’t had that with Harris.

Pivot head on a bipod is a personal preference and you really need to shoot both stationary and pivot to find what’s best for you. I do not like them. I have friends that love them. Both work, just a personal thing

tornadochaser

I have caldwell bipods I occasionally throw on my hunting rifles and ARs. No issues with them, other than it’s extra weight to lug around in the field.

I’m going away from bipods all together and going with a carbon tripod, ball head, and saddle.
    Going the tripod route allows for more comfortable glassing as well. Can throw a spotter or a bino holder on the ball head.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I have both the dead shot and the bog death grip.

Death grip is 2x the weight but also 2x the height.

These are my prairie dogs rests. I still prefer the dead shot to the death grip.
    I’ve almost never needed more height than offered by the dead shot, but they’re are times it is nice to be able to stand and use the bog, but you will find it harder to be steady aim. Each system requires some investment of time to find your steady positions.

Death grip can go from prone to standing and dead shot is roughly 18″-30″ off ground depending.

I keep my dead shot strapped to my rifle and carry them together as one unit, fast to travel with and setup. Whereas I just haven’t found a nice way to do that with the deathgrip so I’ll hold my stand and sling my rifle, will actually keep my rifle slung when using deathgrip. (Hangs on chest, not on back in a tactical way.

I can’t tell you how many hours I’ve spent dialing in both those systems for fast deployment and easiest walking(comfort)/ fastest packing.

I’m sure the above didn’t point you in one singular direction but they’ll certainly both work. I can get more steady any day on my deadshot compared to the deathgrip, but that’s due to the amount of body weight I lean into the deadshot with my non trigger arm.
    Might add an arm to my deathgrip to accomplish the same weight into the stand.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

If you don’t plan to pack a chair I’d consider a shooting stick. I spent lots of time designing a custom light weight chair with comfort and packability in mind so if I was going to go without and shoot prone or from knees or standing stick may be lightest and most versatile. Maybe a 3-leg one for sturdiness.

Many options to have just one laugh

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Will this be spot and stalk hunting, or will you be setting up in ground blinds and watching draws or water holes?

First what not to get. Prone-height bipods are completely useless for hunting. You don’t want to be laying in the prickly pear and stickers, and the slightest rise or fold in the ground will put the animal out of sight once you’re prone. And as Randy mentioned, sage brush height will put any plant in your way.

Spot and stalk, there won’t be time to set up an extendable leg tripod like a Caldwell Dead Shot. Since it’s likely you’ll want to stay low, I’d go with a sitting-height bipod and if possible get one that allows you to kneel upright to get some extra height. I have a Harris that is the right height for sitting but it has enough extension that I can use it kneeling as well and the extra height has come in handy with coyotes.

IMO if hunting with a guide or someone else, that ideal to me would be to have the guide or spotter carry a standing height, Africa-style tripod shooting stick and then have a bipod on the rifle. The key here is the guy carrying the shooting sticks has to know how to quickly set them down so they are the right height for the shooter so time is not wasted adjusting them.

For blind hunting where you can sit, the Caldwell Dead Shots are awesome. I’ve killed hundreds of p-dogs off these and they are a solid rest with reasonable weight. The only downside is the setup time, but for blind hunting that doesn’t matter.

robby
    Quad Cities

I have Caldwells and they have worked well for me. Note, When shooting my rifles with the legs folded, so off hand. I know my point of impact is slightly different. Those legs and springs really sing when you fire. The harmonics of the rifles is changed. This said, you may be better off with shooting sticks or a free standing tripod. See what works for you. Hope I did not complicate things for you. Keep in mind I am very particular about my rifles shooting really, well, and set up to do so consistently. I probably go overboard, but it is an obsession deal. I have also been called a “Trigger Snob”, because I insist on a good trigger and will go to lengths to achieve a good smooth, light, clean breaking trigger.

E4mo

I have experience with several options.

I really like the convenience of Caldwell/Harris style bipods. I’ve owned more Caldwells, but would only buy Harris going forward because of the China vs. USA made factor. I love using the 6″-9″ tripod on the bench. For hunting I’ve used the 13″-27″ size and shoot from sitting.

I’ve also used a carbon fiber Gitzo tripod with a Hog Saddle on it. I like the setup, but it’s not fast and light. The same goes for my Dad’s Bog Pod Death Grip system.

Out West, I like to cut weight so I use either my frame pack or the tripod for my spotting scope as a support. Quigley down under, I am not.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

For prone shooting, I love Atlas bipods, but I also use Harris bipods as well. For shooting sticks, I think mine are Vanguard and they have served me well.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I can’t give brand suggestions but I highly recommend a tripod.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.