Big Creek Ice Fishing?

• jay_davis
    Central Iowa

Has anyone had any luck at Big Creek this winter? I went out this past Sunday and worked hard for 2 small Crappie. I fished by the handicap fishing pier. Thanks for any info.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Welcome!

bigesox
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Good luck getting anyone to post about Big Creek. Sorry I can’t help ya.

jay_davis
    Central Iowa

Well everyone must be tight lipped about their big creek trips or not that many people who fish there know how to use a computer.

I guess I’m niether…I went to Big Creek tonight from 5 until 9. I caught 4 crappie on the west side of the lake just south of the furthest south boat ramp…basically across the lake from the handicap fishing pier. I was in 35 feet of water and fish were suspended between 20 and 30 feet. I used minnows and wax worms. I marked a lot fish but it took a lot to get them to bite. 3 were decent fish one was small.

BigZamer

I have been out a number of times with mixed results. Finding and fishing the brush piles is the key. Most of the time you will need to be a foot or two on the outside edge of the brush pile. Fishing directly over the brush doesn’t seem to work. The fish don’t seem to want to come up out of the brush but will come out to the side. It takes some work and you have to punch plenty of holes to get situated correctly. The gills have been pretty good, crappies have been slow, and the walleyes have been eager to bite but most are small. We have been moving around a lot to find active fish. Utilizing a GPS and knowing the locations of the brush piles is certainly an asset. The most productive depth has been 20-25 fow.

jay_davis
    Central Iowa

Thank for tip on how to fish the brush piles…and the depth. I would have tried to set up right over them.

Does anyone ever fish the point west of the beach? I know there’s some rock piles there in about 18 foot of water.

BigZamer

There has been quite a few people fishing that area as it has been good in the past. I haven’t heard of much success in that area though. Most of the good reports are coming from the south end of the lake (towards the dam).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.