Open Water

• ranger777
    OtterTail Cty/Minnetrista

Is there open water yet on Big Creek?

nirrad
    Des Moines, Iowa

I think there is, but I haven’t heard much about anything being caught, below the spillway they have had a little luck but not much yet.

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

What are you catching below the spillway? Never tried it!

Toothfish
    central Iowa

Just thought I would give a quick Big Creek report.
    Many small eyes being caught on most techniques. Few are over the legal limit. I hear of some cats being caught up in the arms. Gills are doing well in the lake with some keepers being taken. Crappie are coming back and will hopefully continue to do so. Water is clear with good weed growth.

uhlee1
    Dav. IA

Thanks for the update I may head up there over the fourth.

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

It will be a zoo! It is plenty busy on a regular weekend. I just let the drunks own the popular spots on weekends like this. Bluegills were good last year. They are really good if you find a bed.

uhlee1
    Dav. IA

You’re right, and I don’t play well with others when i’m in the boat. Especially when a pontoon full of drunken morons start asking if you are catching anything. The bikinis are always a welcome sight. But I think I will leave the boat at home this weekend. I’m outboardless temporarily so my boating options are limited.

uhlee1
    Dav. IA

Well I couldn’t resist the bug so I went anyway. Managed about a dozen or more small walleyes and one that went 16″, a few decent bass, a couple drum, and one fish maybe 1.5lbs that looked like a large chub. And yes it was packed, but we left as the crowds grew. Not a bad trip for only my second time fishing big creek. Just wish I could get there more often when the crowds arent bad and have more time.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.