Big Creek Update

• dm5000
    Des Moines, IA

Fished Big Creek 8-11 am. Nada. First time in a while that we have gotten skunked. I had high hopes that the water was down enough and clear enough to be fishable but it is not the same lake that it was before the storms rolled through. We need at least another week of clear weather to get it back in shape.

At least one boat was catching bluegills in the far end of the coves but that is all the action I saw. I thought one possible answer to the murky water was to fish the deeper holes but we quit before trying that. I didnt see anyone else fishing deeper either.

Perfect day… its always nice to catch fish but even getting skunked beats sitting at a desk..

Dave

JKwildhunting
    somewhere lost in Iowa

The fish must have known you were fishing. LOL
    thanks for the report
    i planning on going out this weekend or go hit our 31ft farm pond catch some big bass!

Thanks for the report
    Joe

dm5000
    Des Moines, IA

Quote:

The fish must have known you were fishing. LOL

Gee thanks Joe!!!!
    Yeah, something like that. If it were me, I’d hit the farm pond and wait a week on BC.
    Good luck man….
    Dave

bigesox
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

That’s kind of discouraging, but much appreciated. It’s about 2 hours from my home and BC was to be my weekend destination. Maybe I’ll just wait until my club’s tournament next Sunday. Hope the fishing is better then.

How do you catch the walleyes at BC?

dm5000
    Des Moines, IA

Im no walleye expert but the dominate method seems to be jigs tipped with minnows, nightcrawlers or leaches over rockpiles (many of which are actually concrete blocks placed by the DNR). I highlighted in yellow some popular spots.
    Good luck.
    Dave

bigesox
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Thanks Dave,

We’ll hit it hard on Sunday, rain or shine. Looks like a pretty good weather week. Hope the fish are back on by the weekend. I’m looking at the Cedar river now and it’s down 2 feet since Friday.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.