Big Trout Lake

• Hagcel
    Participant
    Saint Paul, MN

Anyone ever fish Big Trout Lake?

I’m heading up to a wedding at Manhattan Beach and we’re going up a day and a half early to get some fishing in.

I don’t have downriggers for lake trout so will probably be targeting pike, bass, walleye.

I’ve never fished a lake so deep before and looking at the depth maps it drops off very very fast to very deep. In deep lakes how deep will walleye go? I assume the bass and northern will still hang out around the the 1-15 ft range? I guess I’ll be spending most of my time close to shore.

404 ERROR
    Participant
    MN

I have fished Big Trout and the chain a few times. The chain holds TONS of hammerhandle pike and baitfish. Big Trout can be good for small-medium sized lake trout, in my experiences.

I would not be discouraged to fish for Lake Trout without a downrigger. Slow cruise fishy areas and check for activity, drop a waypoint on marked fish then analyze the data. You should be able to narrow down where to fish relatively quickly out there. Depends on how active the fish are, vertical jigging can be very productive. There is a plethora of baitfish for the trout to snack on, I would bet they will be chasing some of the schools suspended over deeper water.

Mos’
    Participant

I have read articles about ice out lake trout shallow.. Has anyone trolled shallower water around opener when the water is still cold with luck? I struggled with walleye on opener last year on the Chain (not unusual for me) but it was especially rough so I thought I would give Lakers a try. trolled in a big circle around the shoreline and only got 3 pike.. You would think the Lake trout take advantage of the cooler water this time of year right? the stocking looks promising the last few years out there so it would be fun to get into some Laketrout!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Rig up a deep diving shad rap and slow troll on the shallow side of deep water drops. Lakers right now will be in the top 20 feet if feeding and will come to the top to chase food.

Mos’
    Participant

I will have to give that a try thanks! With the late ice out this year maybe there will be a longer window for that bite too!

biggill
    Participant
    East Bethel, MN

Ideally, lake trout like upper 40s and low 50s. If surface temps are below say 52, you should see them in the top 20. As it warms, they sink but still maintain that water temp range or cooler.

I’m not familiar with targeting lt in inland waters, more so on Superior, but I’d focus on steep breaks near very deep water. From 10’- whatever. They’ll suspend wherever the food is. I do believe you’ll find most over 50 FOW or less though. This is what I’ve picked up by watching numerous YouTube videos.

Crankbaits or meat rigs seem to be popular baits. I’m thinking slower speeds too, maybe 1.5-2.0.

Mos’
    Participant

And I thought Big Trout was a good sized lake! There is plenty of deep water to cover, I think it will be a great change up if the walleye do not cooperate on opener.

Flashier brighter cranks the better?

Charles
    Participant

Well I literal live a mile away from Trout I am hoping to get some good trolling in this year now.

Mos’
    Participant

SO I did not get over there to try the shallow water lakers like I was planning while the water was still cold with the late ice out.. did anyone get over and get into them? Its gotta be tougher now heading into summer might need to wait until fall now for me

djshannon
    Participant
    Crosslake

I was out on Big Trout last week for two days. Water temperature was about 70 deg. There were many clouds of bait fish but not a trout to be found. I trolled most of the lake with side and down imaging on, not a big fish in sight.

There were at least five boat trailers in the launch each day and all of them shot across the lake and into to Lower Whitefish Lake. I should of taken the hint.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

A friend of mine has a family cabin on that lake and has tried for lake trout out there without success for years. He finally admitted it was a lost cause so he goes into Whitefish instead now and targets other species (walleyes in the spring/fall, bass in the summer).

Mos’
    Participant

Shoot that is discouraging!! With how many they have stocked in there you would think you could find one! Maybe the water temps being in the 70s already are causing the issue? Have to wait until late fall or ice maybe

Mos’
    Participant

Is Big Trout locked up well enough to fish opener this weekend? Anyone plan on going out?

Mos’
    Participant

Alright I want to restart the conversation and get other’s thoughts.. From what I can gather Lake Trout spawn in the fall. Do you believe that the stocked lake trout in Big Trout lake also attempt to spawn on some of the rock/gravel this lake has to offer or is it a whole different ball game with stocked fish.

I am wondering because like my post this spring – it seems like now could be an opportunity to try a little shallower for them casting or trolling?

I went out early September and did not confidently mark a fish over deep water but I gave effort for about 4 hours trying for them so still puzzled by this lake!

I cannot seem to get out of my head that according to the DNR website 106 nearly 8 pounders were put in there just a couple years ago and that’s not counting the fingerlings! They have to be somewhere!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Alright I am wondering because like my post this spring – it seems like now could be an opportunity to try a little shallower for them casting or trolling?

Trout season is closed now until it opens again in January.

Mos’
    Participant

I suppose they have a separate season then stream trout in lakes.. my fault I was assuming we had until Oct 31..

Well maybe the season is a good sign then – assumes they attempt to spawn and let them without being targeted

biggill
    Participant
    East Bethel, MN

I suppose they have a separate season then stream trout in lakes.. my fault I was assuming we had until Oct 31..

Well maybe the season is a good sign then – assumes they attempt to spawn and let them without being targeted

That’s correct. Statewide, lake trout closes at the end of September. Lake Superior goes through the first Full weekend of October.

dentedboatguy
    Participant

Spent two days trolling Big Trout for lake trout a few days ago. Was using lead core and was able to catch one trout. 29 inches and it was a fatty, guessing fish at about 11 pounds. It was released. Had out 8 colors of lead core and was just trolling the deep basin. Probably down 40-45 feet with a shad rap 7. I consider the trip a success as I didn”t think I would even catch a trout, but they are in there.

Charles
    Participant

bout 11 pounds. It was released. Had out 8 colors of lead core and was just trolling the deep basin. Probably down 40-45 feet with a shad rap 7. I consider the trip a success as I didn”t think I would even catch a trout, but they are in there.

Oh there is some fatty’s in there, I have seen some huge ones from ice fishing.

I have yet to catch one and I am only 5 minutes away from there lol

Hydro
    Participant
    Brainerd Mn

I have ice fished it for lakers with decent success, I haven’t tried it in open water…. yet.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.