Big Stone State Park

• hop307
    Northern Todd County

Going to be staying at big stone state park towards the end of July and going to be bringing the boat. What type of bite can a person expect at that time of year? Are there panfish to be had? How about the walleye/northern bite day or night? Looking at the navionics map it looks like there are a couple underwater points, rock piles, and islands close to the state park.

Thanks for the help.

Jeffrey Trapp
    Milbank, SD

You should be able to catch plenty of perch if you move around. The lake is absolutely full of them. Shoot me a PM when you are about to head up there and I’ll point you in the right direction. I fish that lake a few times a week for perch all of July. I have a slight addiction to panfish.

zooks

Weed lines, rock piles 6 FOW+, or troll right down the middle. You’ll run into everything by trolling cranks or spinners, don’t be afraid to go fast (3mph+). Remember you can have two lines per angler on Big Stone, helps with the trolling spread or when bobber fishing.

Good amount of eater walleyes in the lake right now. Perch have been easier to find up the lake from the Meadowbrook area the last couple summers and there’s a fair amount of eater crappies out there now, too. LMB is really underrated if you’re into that, in certain spots by the islands there’s plenty of 3lb fish to be had.

Might be a bit early for the deep rock bite to start but it won’t hurt to try. Bring all kinds of bait if you fish deep rocks, fish tend to have a preference day to day. Night bite can be good off shore if weeds allow, lighted bobbers are always fun.

Hope this helps, good luck

hop307
    Northern Todd County

You should be able to catch plenty of perch if you move around. The lake is absolutely full of them. Shoot me a PM when you are about to head up there and I’ll point you in the right direction. I fish that lake a few times a week for <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>perch all of July. I have a slight addiction to panfish.

Thanks I definitely will. We are heading that way the 21-23 of July.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.