Big Sandy Crappies

• Walleye Hungry

I was invited to a family cabin the last week of September on Big Sandy. The family i am staying with do not fish nor have fished big sandy (they are just pleasure boaters). Long story short they want me to put them on some crappies over the weekend. Being a walleye fisherman i dont typically target crappies this time of year but i heard it can be a blast.

I have never fished the lake and even though i still plan on trying to find some walleyes i may need some help in where to look for some crappies to fulfill the wishes of the family. From what i gathered is small tubes, live bait, and maybe size 3 rippin raps should do the trick. Location? am i wrong to think they may be suspended over deeper water by then? Might work from weed edge out. walleyes probably will be in 10-12 foot rock transitions than?

If anyone that fishes this lake in the fall and has some pointers i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

When I saw this topic, I was hoping for a report! I’ll send you a PM with the little I know.

tim hurley

Been there enough to know a few things (just have not caught many!) They are there and the size is good. If you have side imaging I would look for planted structure people do it out there because it is a good for lake for it. They plant it illegally mostly but you can fish it they put it by their docks and other places too. When you go to a new area its always a good idea to ask at the bait stores-not out there! Fishermen must be tight lipped because the bait store people are nice but worthless! (sorry) Smart to ask on this site. Good luck

Walleye Hungry

Sounds good I will have to poke around. Being they are fair weather “fisherman”…we will be targeting them during high noon I would guess. After dinner though I plan on walleyes for myself…being a dark stained lake do they bite into the night or is it like LOTW

sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

8-15 FOW off of pencil reeds using plastics.
    Best time of the year to fish them!

Walleye Hungry

I will try and find some of those. Thanks for the reports guys

dbright
    Cambridge

Not sure what part of the lake you are finding pencil reeds but I can’t think of any place on the lake with pencil reeds. Lots of wild rice.

Walleye Hungry

I would have no idea. haha. I will just find dropoffs close to shore and tight inside corners…every article for fall crappies has pretty much said that so i guess its a good place to start.

Walleye Hungry

Searched a little bit today as a prefish for the family. No crappies found but couldn’t keep the dink walleyes from attacking the crappie gear. Will search again tomorrow

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.