Big Mckenzie Lake Spooner WI

• lrott2003
    Wisconsin

Anyone ever fish this lake? I am heading up for a sunday-monday trip and heard good walleye population along with bluegill and crappie. Just looking for general presentations don’t need specific areas. Looking for set ups.

I have heard leeches for walleye that is about it.

Any info I would appreicate.

404 ERROR
    MN

Spinners with leeches and slow death crawlers on the south side sand flats. Pitching jigs up on the humps and retrieving them back down has also been good. I’ve been visiting that lake every 4th of July weekend for the last 10 years and have always done very well. Beautiful lake with very diverse structure. The Walleye population has been in decline out there for years with LMB taking over.

I’ve never really bothered to fish the north end of the lake as it is a very heavily used recreation lake with lots of pontoons and jet-ski’s, which usually hang out up there.

Will you be staying at West Point? If not, stop in for a refreshment, they make very good drinks.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Its right by my cabin. PM sent

zooks

I’ve caught crappies in the bay in front of the supper club – nothing special but lots of action and you can sort through for your eaters. Weed lines are pretty well defined, you should be able to figure it out once you’re on the water.

Never seriously tried for walleyes so I can’t point you in the right direction there. I also believe there’s muskies in there, too but I don’t know how that population stands right now. Hope this helps, good luck.

lrott2003
    Wisconsin

Merican Eagle

We fished Sunday June 4 from about 10:30 a.m until about dark 9:45 p.m. we caught fish all day in different areas doing anything from slip bobbers with leeches and minnows to drifting and trolling with jig and minnow, jig and plastic, etc… we caught a lot of panfish, more rock bass than we wanted and some large mouth. Only two walleye we caught were in front of west pointe which we did stay at. Both walleye were right at 20 inches. Was a good day. My buddy and I have never fished a real clear lake like this with all the weed growth targeting weed edges we did not do since we had a hard time finding them with our electronics.

I am going to message you the other question I had.

404 ERROR
    MN

Did you do much night fishing? I have done pretty well in the evening on the south end also.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

As stated above….. I used to fish this lake back in college. Had the best luck in June with jig and/or spinner and leeches for walleyes. Caught many crappies on weed lines this time of year. The deeper weed edges being best.

lrott2003
    Wisconsin

we did not do much night fishing other than we did fish until about 9:45. But we did not fish much after that. It was a lake that we will definitely go check out again I think. Is there a public boat launch on the lake or just the resorts?

What kind of size do you get for crappie in there. we did catch one 12 in and one 11 but both were really skinny so we did not keep. We were really impressed with the two walleye we did catch so we want to go back. when you say south side sand flats are you talking in like really shallow water or are there flats in deeper water. seemed about everything was weedy in areas we fished.

catmando
    wis

That Southside cabbage is where I used to pound the walleyes,flip the pockets in the cabbage. Use to do real well night fishing for musky ,the big point across from West point was always good for a nice fish.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.