Big c pro downrigger release

• Gino
    Participant
    Grand rapids mn

Anyone use these? I was recommended to get these from a local sporting goods store. They need the bolt reversed for left and right side but they do not say what side of the release should be facing the boat. I have had small pink salmon and coho release them fine but I can’t get them to release manually by pulling on them. They will pop open but the line doesn’t want to come off the pin until I start bringing the ball up. I was using the black cannon releases but the braid keeps slipping out and get false trips, Frustrated to say the least.

Attachments:
    1. 2EAF88F0-1174-4699-82A2-EDDFBD589551.png

catmando
    Participant
    wis

Nope never used those, I use Scotty power grip plus, recommended by the lady that owns Algoma hardware tackle.

Ripjiggen
    Participant

Oh man that store is something else in algoma. Sorry haven’t used those I use the ones cat uses.

Gino
    Participant
    Grand rapids mn

Oh man that store is something else in algoma. Sorry haven’t used those I use the ones cat uses.

Do you use braid with these? And any false trips ? Just trying to find something that works. So far I’ve had nothing but headaches with releases.

catmando
    Participant
    wis

Yep, I use braid and mono, pretty foolproof, way better than the Cannons I used to use. Like anything, it depends on how much you want to load your rigger rods. I am not rich by any means but when in that store and in a buying mood, I ask her to pick out the spoons…she knows her stuff.

Ripjiggen
    Participant

I use mono on my down rigger rods for salmon. Sometimes with a couple colors of lead sometimes straight mono. Not many false trips.

David Blais
    Participant

I really like the chamberlin releases

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Scotty power grip plus

I also use these same releases. They work very well with braid. Very, very few false trips.

Gino
    Participant
    Grand rapids mn

Thanks guys I’ll have to get them!

to_setter
    Participant
    Stone Lake, WI

I also recommend the Chamberlain releases. These allow “tension to trip” settings for both up to the rod and back to the fish. This allows you to dial in the trip tension for everything from very small to very large fish and everything in between. It also allows for a light trip setting up to your rod, so you don’t have to fight to release the line with your rod to re-set, check bait, etc. And the best thing…….it’s 100% repeatable every time. it does not rely on how deep you set the line in a pad, etc.

to_setter
    Participant
    Stone Lake, WI

I brought my wife there this summer while on vacation just to show her the chaos and much to my disappointment, it’s now just a really organized normal hardware store with NO Salmon fishing stuff that I could find……

Ripjiggen
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

I brought my wife there this summer while on vacation just to show her the chaos and much to my disappointment, it’s now just a really organized normal hardware store with NO Salmon fishing stuff that I could find……

I think you went to the wrong one. I was just there and it has salmon gear piled on the floor all over with piles and piles of empty boxes everywhere. I think he is talking about the one next to the actual hardware store. The lady that works there literally has a walking path through boxes and paper to get to the line spooling counter. Some good deals in there. Sorry not trying to derail thread but if you ever been to Algoma this place is a must stop.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.