Best Walleye fishing

• Talya Barbanente
    Participant

Hello gentlemen,

I’m trying to surprise my husband with a fishing trip for his 30th birthday and I was wondering if you all could recommend a good walleye fishing spot. I’m planning for mid April. I know he has fished Prairie du Chein, Greenbay, Menominee, Dubuque, la crosse, and probably some other locations I don’t remember. I’m looking for somewhere 5 hours or less from the west suburbs of Chicago. Thank you for your input!

mxskeeter
    Participant
    SW Wisconsin

Detroit river around Trenton,Mi. Jig and plastic bite for numerous fish of 8 lbs. or more. Very good chance of a 10 lb. plus.

bowtecmike
    Participant
    Zimmerman mn

Rainy river

watisituya
    Participant
    North Metro

There is a Flowage near Hayward Wi, called the Chippewa flowage, one of my favorite places to fish. But I believe opener is the 1st sat in May if you can wait. Most people target it for Musky, but there is a good walleye population.

Also I have heard nothing but good things about lake Erie Walleye (Toledo area?) but im not sure when that opens nor the distance from your location.

Mike Klein
    Participant
    Hastings, MN

Lake Erie. Best option for size of fish usually numbers and close enough to home.

sticker
    Participant
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I agree Lake Erie. If I was making a run somewhere, that is where I would head for walleye.

Talya Barbanente
    Participant

Thank you for all the replies! Is it easier to fish a river or something similar for the first time than it is a lake? We would be without a guide, and a big lake like Erie seems a bit intimidating. Although, if we chose to go there, im sure once I tell my husband where we’re going he’ll jump right on all the forums to find the best spots, haha.

Chuck Melcher
    Participant
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

I am really hoping to make my first trip to Lake Erie mid-April. Spent a lot of time on the forums, reading, asking questions and such.

Yes, it is a big water… but with the right weather (safe wind) I hope to feel at ease in my deep 17′ boat. A lot of the comfort thing will come with experience and I’ve had some on Lake Michigan, so that is purely individual. To some, a river is far more intimidating due to wing dams, current and such. In the spring, the western basin of Lake Erie is said to be as good as it gets. All my looking into it has me very confident it will be a great time. If you are looking for a special experience, consider it. There are some great guides out that way as well… booking now though.

Go to the forums section, down to the western basin. A lot of good threads to drive a fisherman totally nuts.

http://www.walleye.com

http://community.walleye.com/forumdisplay.php?6-Western-Lake-Erie-Fishing-REPORTS

On the Erie thing… wind and spring come together… you can even youtube Lake Erie Spring walleye fishing and see some of it and on the nicer days, it is easy, nice enjoyable fishing. April is a special time when you can have some really good fishing, and not need all the trolling gear. Rod in hand jigging/drifting.

Another option is the west side of the Bay of Green Bay in WI. Basically a catch and release fishery that time of the year though unless u catch one single trophy fish. Again, a big water, but he could fish the mouth of the rivers along there, and expect the ice to be off earlier this year. Crowds on weekends, but many travel from far away for it.

With the big lakes, a little extra attention has to be given to boat set up for legal safety gear, but nothing that shouldn’t be considered anyway.

Chuck Melcher
    Participant
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Talya…. what is his and your water experience, and boat set up? What are you comfortable with taking on? My, and others advice may be better directed knowing a little more on that.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.