Best vacuum for dog hair

• Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

For everyone with dogs that shed a ridiculous amount, what vacuum are you using?

My dads golden retriever shed enough to fill pillow cases. It’s insane. Anyways, I’m sick of rippin these cheap vacuum apart because their jammed up. Been burning them up at about 1 per year,

So, what ya using?

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

I have a yellow lab and use a Shark Rotator. I’ve had it for 8 years and it still works good. I do clean up the suction point about once a month so it doesn’t clog.

Golden Retrievers hair is different than a labs though. It’s longer and more likely to get wrapped up.

Netguy
    Participant
    Minnetonka

Shark makes a few with a brush roller that’s not supposed to wrap hair. I have a Shark Lift Away and I have two labs. Works well and have only cleaned the brush roller once in about a year.

Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

We have a shark as well. I was amazed when we switched from a cheap one with a bag to a good vacuum with a canister.

I’m sure there are other good options but like with most things….you get what you pay for.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

We also have a shark and works well. I have a lad golden mix and Yea he sheds ALOT. surprised he had any hair left crazy

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

I love dogs, but I don’t do dogs in a house because of this. In our family dogs have always been outside animals that don’t even think of setting foot in the house. They love the garage, sheds, and spending every moment possible roaming freely outside.

For the original question, I can tell you to steer clear of the automatic robot vacuums if your dogs shed substantially. My brother-in-law thought it’d be a great idea to beat their 2 labs’ hair, and he just ended up with an expensive burnt up robot vacuum.

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

Interesting. Appreciate everyone’s responses. Dad has been burning up Sharks at a rate of 1 almost every year

mxskeeter
    Participant
    SW Wisconsin

We use a Dyson but our 4 legged daughter is a Vizsla=super short hair. So I can’t tell ya if it is better than a Shark. They are $$$ than a Shark.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

I also run 2 sharks at home. 1 up stairs and 1 down. 2 cats and dogs. If I keep the filters clean they continue to take my abuse

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Dyson Animal (Ball – Corded) Had it since it came out. No problems.

-J.

to_setter
    Participant
    Stone Lake, WI

I love dogs, but I don’t do dogs in a house because of this. In our family dogs have always been outside animals that don’t even think of setting foot in the house. They love the garage, sheds, and spending every moment possible roaming freely outside.

For the original question, I can tell you to steer clear of the automatic robot vacuums if your dogs shed substantially. My brother-in-law thought it’d be a great idea to beat their 2 labs’ hair, and he just ended up with an expensive burnt up robot vacuum.

I suppose all robot vacuum’s are not the same, but our Roomba is the only vacuum cleaner we can effectively use for our dog hair. We tried all kinds of vacuums and all would plug up a lot and eventually burn out. The Roomba needs cleaning after each time it vacuums, but is super easy and has taken a beating in our house.

Long soft dog hair……its the only downside to our English Setters. Burrs in the field if I don’t buzz them, and crazy soft dog hair in the house. Good thing we love them!

luttes
    Participant
    Maplewood/WBL

x3 on dyson, stupid expensive but man do they work well. I’m still amazed at how much it will suck out of the carpet.

gregory
    Participant
    Red wing,mn

Shark lift away here also! Had 2 full size dogs in house, did burn one up but returned it and got a new one, they work awesome and like others said have to make sure you clean out the filters!

vinella
    Participant

Interesting. Appreciate everyone’s responses. Dad has been burning up Sharks at a rate of 1 almost every year

Sharks have I believe a 7 year warranty

Reef W
    Participant

I still think Dyson is slightly better but when we went all LVT flooring we got a Shark Navigator Pet Pro or something like that that also had the option to turn the brush off. The Shark is just as strong as the Dyson and lighter but my complaint is that the wand system seems incredibly unergonomic to use.

picklerick
    Participant
    Central WI

I bought a Kenmore Elite upright when our black lab was still alive but I think my wife sheds more than he did. 20″ long spiderweb thin blond and gray hairs everywhere. Have to remove the beater bar a couple times a year to cut it all out. I would think it would handle whatever a golden can dish out.

Edit: We’ve had it about 7yrs now and I see you can get one at Walmart.

Gitchi Gummi
    Participant

Kenmore canister vac and I’d highly recommend it. Going on year 6 with it and no complaints. I should state that is 6 years with a golden retriever and a house with no carpet to hide dog hair (only tile and LVT), so the house gets fully vacuumed a couple times a week.

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

We have had this vacuum for going on 12 years and it is going strong, we have had two dogs and 3-4 cats until recently loosing my lab last year. You have to change bags and belts like the old days.

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

We just bought this cordless vacuum last week after reading reviews that it was the best for pet hair out of 10 other brand name vacuums. It has three modes all with different levels of power. Works great on hardwood or carpet and can break down into a handheld to use on stairs or furniture. It’s on sale right now too. Very impressed with it so far.

https://www.bissell.com/bissell-iconpet-cordless-vacuum-22883.html

chuck100
    Participant
    Platteville,Wi.

Dyson Animal same as Jon.I have a heeler-terrier mix with shorter hair but seems to have alot of it.
    I think this Dyson could suck a golf ball through a garden hose.

buck-slayer
    Participant

Im amazed how dog hair can poke its way through the couch cushions and car seats.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.