Best trolling line for walleye

• Ben Hesse
    Participant

Any recommendations for trolling line for Great Lake eyes and inland walleyes? Currently running braid and not nuts on the lack of stretch think it is costing me some fish lol. Any recommendations?

Deuces
    Participant

What rods are you running, drags set accordingly?

Ben Hesse
    Participant

Fox river 7’6 and drags are real light maybe I’m being to critical. Buy have some where I feel like I’m pulling out in hard hits

chuck100
    Participant
    Platteville,Wi.

Best trolling line-Hi there sweetheart can i sniff your white spot.

Iowaboy1
    Participant

Best trolling line-Hi there sweetheart can i sniff your white spot.

Bwahahahaha!!!
    I was thinking, Girl, you are a looker, any chance we can HOOK up????

Chris Messerschmidt
    Participant
    Minnesota

I used to run 10lb Berkley XT on everything. But also have a couple of rods with Suffix 832 braid that seems decent.

But last year I switched to Berkley XL 14lb. It has a higher breaking point but the exact same diameter (0.014in/0.35mm) as XT in a 10lb.

I found myself breaking off less, while still having that stretch.

This was mentioned to me by Korey Sprengel. In all honestly great advise as well.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

There are a lot of options out there that can work. I’m no expert but have ran quite a few different lines over the years. The most important thing I’ve seen is to match the line you are using to the correct rod and drag setting. I personally run braid now as it dives deeper and lets me notice fouled baits easier.

I used to pull mono a lot for long lining cranks shallow. With mono you can get away with more types of rods and keep the drag set at a typical setting. The stretch allows you more of a margin for error with hooks ripping out of fish. It does take a bit more line to get to desired depths. Up shallow this can be helpful though.

With braid (suffix 832 or Power Pro) I like a longer rod that has a bit more give, and I set the drag quite loose. I like it so that anything larger than an eater size fish hitting a crankbait will immediately start pulling drag out. You’ve got to be quick to react with braid on a good hit to either get the rod in your hands controlling the drag or slowing the boat if needed. I run a 8′ mono leader to both give me some stretch AND help with line shyness.

isu22andy
    Participant

There are a lot of options out there that can work. I’m no expert but have ran quite a few different lines over the years. The most important thing I’ve seen is to match the line you are using to the correct rod and drag setting. I personally run braid now as it dives deeper and lets me notice fouled baits easier.

I used to pull mono a lot for long lining cranks shallow. With mono you can get away with more types of rods and keep the drag set at a typical setting. The stretch allows you more of a margin for error with hooks ripping out of fish. It does take a bit more line to get to desired depths. Up shallow this can be helpful though.

With braid (suffix 832 or Power Pro) I like a longer rod that has a bit more give, and I set the drag quite loose. I like it so that anything larger than an eater size fish hitting a crankbait will immediately start pulling drag out. You’ve got to be quick to react with braid on a good hit to either get the rod in your hands controlling the drag or slowing the boat if needed. I run a 8′ mono leader to both give me some stretch AND help with line shyness.

Thinking about re spooling all my trolling rods with braid but wondering if it’s worth it – what lb test you guys running to line up with the precision trolling app ? I realize there’s a fire line option with only 10 lb fire line as the option I feel like it’s a lateral move ? I’ve often thought about running like 30 lb so it lines up with Berkley xt so I can run dipseys for salmon once or twice a year and use the same reels. Thoughts ?

Ripjiggen
    Participant

How does 30lb braid line up with XT? Are you talking diameter? They will not line up because they have same diameter.

isu22andy
    Participant

How does 30lb braid line up with XT? Are you talking diameter? They will not line up because they have same diameter.

Yes diameter .

Ripjiggen
    Participant

No they will not dive the same because they are same diameter.

Chuck Melcher
    Participant
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Probably not a popular choice…. But I run a low cost 40# braid to help fill the spool with a mono leader based on what and where. Walleye on Erie, 12-20# mono 50’ leader, lake Winnebago (much smaller fish and clear water) 10# leader. This way I can simply swap out for salmon fishing on the same weekend if I wish.

Drag settings I feel feel are just as if not more important.

snelson223
    Participant
    Austin MN

I think it’s Sunline that has 16lb mono that’s the same diameter as 10lb XT. I tend to use 20lb 832 and if I need to I will add a mono leader. If I was going to run planer boards I would probably run all mono.

Karry Kyllo
    Participant

No they will not dive the same because they are same diameter.

If you match diameters, the dive curves of two different types of lines will be so close that for all practical purposes, the dive curves can be considered the same.
    I’ve been matching various braids with mono equivalent diameters since the Precision Trolling book first came out and even if the dives curves aren’t exactly the same, they are so close that the walleyes certainly don’t seem to mind. A more important factor is how well ones line counter reel is calibrated.
    Everyone has their own preferences for which line to use for trolling but I prefer Power Pro 15/4. Like others mentioned, there is no stretch with braid which may cause problems with fish coming off when using some rods, but I don’t have that problem at all. It’s all a matter of using the right rods and having them at angles in rod holders to take advantage of the rods. I have my drags set fairly tight and use the rod to provide any needed “give” when a walleye hits. If I have a large fish on, I’ll loosen my drag when reeling in the fish if I have to.
    Another advantage of braided line is that uv light and heat don’t degrade it like mono. A spool of braid can be used for years while mono likely has to be respooled every year or more in some cases.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.