Best recent outdoor gear purchase

• Riverrat
    Participant

Ruger American 450 Bushmaster. Wanted a larger caliber rifle for target and entertainment purchases. On my 200 yard range I can cloverleaf on almost every target. I’m not even a good shooter but Ruger nails the straight wall cartridges on its American Lineup. And they are cheap until you decide to buy a chassis.

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

Ruger American 450 Bushmaster.

I had to look that one up. That is a wicked looking cartridge. Getting that kind of accuracy out of such a heavy grain bullets is also impressive. I’d say you are a better shooter than you are giving yourself credit for.

Steven Krapfl
    Participant
    Springville, Iowa

Left hand Winchester Model 70 in 300 win mag. Now I gotta figure out what to do with my custom 30-06 and my Sako 338. Thinking I’m gonna dump the 338 and rechamber the ‘06 to a 35 Whelen.

stevenoak
    Participant

Power pole mico spike on my kayak. I fished 30 of 58 days in Florida this year. It’s a game changer. A lot of my fishing is in limestone oyster bottom shallow water that will not take a traditional sand spike. I also bought a additional bracket so I can use it on my small jon boat.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

I just ordered 2 new HDS 9 Live units along with the active target. Should be here Friday. Im sure they are going to be fantastic and excited to get into the live imaging game. Thinking I will mainly use it ice fishing vs open water, but we’ll see.

jake47
    Participant
    WI

The Sitka gear I have purchased so far. For a long time I was an anti Sitka person. I was never (and still won’t) paying those prices for outdoor clothing. But if you shop their deals it is by far the best purchases I have made to make my time outside more enjoyable. The fit and comfort is amazing. I own more than my wife knows about. And I definitely see more purchases in the future.

When I get down 30 more lbs, my wife will not be happy with the amount of Sitka purchases she’ll be seeing. Do you use the Fanatic system for deer hunting. It’s been highly recommended to me and I plan on that being my first purchase. My 20 year old Cabela’s cold weather gear has completely fallen apart so I need new stuff anyways.

queenswake
    Participant
    NULL

An electric lunchbox warmer thing. Tons of models out there on Amazon. I used it last weekend for ice fishing for the first time. So nice to have warm food. I’ll be bringing this out on the boat. I’ve never wanted to mess around with a grill out on the boat. This way, still have hot food without any mess or prep time on the boat taking away from fishing time.

Erik Swenson
    Participant

Chainsaws for removing some dead and unwanted trees. Does that qualify? wink

crappie55369
    Participant
    Mound, MN

disc-o-bed XL. works great for saving space while camping in the pop up and very comfy. Will also work well at deer camp. Built tough and i assume will outlast me

Erik Swenson
    Participant

Oh yeah, I do love my Amok Draumr sleep system. That would be more appropriate than the chainsaws for this thread.

Anyone else like hammock camping?

B-man
    Participant

My new toys came today toast

Gonna get them all rigged up this weekend.

Attachments:
    1. PXL_20230316_163215763-scaled.jpg

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

My best purchase was my vevor 18 pound electric stuffer. Best thing I’ve ever bought. Did all our venison I’m sticks and summer sausage in no time

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Chainsaws for removing some dead and unwanted trees. Does that qualify? wink

Yes and I want one

Karry Kyllo
    Participant

Rapala R12 Fillet Knife I’ve wanted a cordless for years.

ThunderLund78
    Participant

My best purchase was my vevor 18 pound electric stuffer. Best thing I’ve ever bought. Did all our venison I’m sticks and summer sausage in no time

Was looking at these, I still run a hand-crank 5-lb Lem and it’s fine, but the time spent stopping and reloading gets old, especially if I’m doing it by myself.

Erik Swenson
    Participant

Only one BC?

That’s what I had planned and ended up with 2 saws bidding on eBay… doah

orve4
    Participant

I took a chance On Garmin 73 color model side view for my boat. Has been a great upgrade over my older lowrance easy to use. second purchase this year is the 24volt Strike master to use in the Ice castle. Cuts like butter and got it at reeds for 299.

My favorite purchase is my Blackfish pull over. I find myself wearing this thing for everything I do from fishing, to deer hunting to even wearing it in my blind duck hunting

Onthewater
    Participant

I got the green light from mom to do some MAJOR upgrading to the electronics on the Grady

I kinda started without her consent by buying a Garmin Panoptix PS-30 transducer (shhhhhh), and snowballed from there.

My current set-up is/was a 942xs GPSMap dedicated to run the Garmin GMR18 xHD radar and Fusion Radio, two Echomap 73sv plus’s at the helm, and a third 73sv plus at the stern of the boat (for passengers to watch/set riggers with).

The GPSMap and Echomaps can’t network, so I had the 942xs/radar separate, and the three Echomaps networked for sonar/mapping.

Now that I have a PS-30 I wanted to have the ability to see it on all of the units and be able to network everything together (four chartplotters, radar, PS-30, Fusion radio, traditional 2d/side vu), and have bigger screens all around.

I saw that Hodges Marine had 1042xsv GPSMaps on sale for $1,139 and picked up two of them, as well as a 943xvs GPSMap (similar to my 942xs) for about the same price. Now I’ll be able to run a 1042xvs on the overhead electronics locker for primarily radar, the 943xsv and 942xs at the helm (mapping and sonar/PS-30) and the other 1042xsv at the stern for watching the PS-30.

It’s going to be a fricken awesome setup for trolling

I’m going to run the PS-30 in the “flipped” orientation which gives an incredible view of what’s behind the boat and even what’s in front of the boat while trolling. It will shoot 120° fore and aft, and 40° port to starboard, and show everything in real time.

It will be cool seeing a fish 75’+ in front of the boat and be able adjust the riggers before running the fish over.

<div class=”ido-oembed-wrap”><iframe loading=”lazy” title=”Garmin Panoptix "Flipped" review Plus a BONUS Tip!” width=”850″ height=”478″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/FyB9Lxf8JjM?feature=oembed&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></div>

I’ll never own a boat without a ps30 unless they somehow make a better transducer that does the same thing. If they discontinue it I’ll probably have to buy a few extras. Like side imaging it gets used everytime I’m on the water almost 100% of the day. I only make a couple trips a year for salmon and haven’t gotten the bracket to use it the way you intend. Still planning on mounting one next to the regular bracket so I can change over to salmon mode when needed

Hodag Hunter
    Participant
    Northern Wisconsin

Tikka T3x Lite Stainless in .308 and a Vortex Viper HS 2.5-15×44 scope.
    Time to retire the Savage 99E I bought in 1979. Not for sale.

Problem is I have too many guns . . . . . Wait a minute . . . NOT true. I don’t have enough gun safes.

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

My new toys came today. Gonna get them all rigged up this weekend

WOW. That is major Haul. Did you get one for each boy and one for yourself?

AK Guy
    Participant

An electric lunchbox warmer thing. Tons of models out there on Amazon. I used it last weekend for <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>ice fishing for the first time. So nice to have warm food. I’ll be bringing this out on the boat. I’ve never wanted to mess around with a grill out on the boat. This way, still have hot food without any mess or prep time on the boat taking away from fishing time.

Never heard of this. I went to Amazon and ordered one. I hope this will be my “best recent outdoor gear purchase”.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

At the risk of losing my IDO card, I’m not big on new gear or the latest and greatest. A lithium battery for the Vexilar last year would be about the latest and best thing I’ve bought “recently”, it’s quite a bit lighter and no need to charge it over a long weekend. So I got that going for me, which is nice…

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Tikka T3x Lite Stainless in .308 and a Vortex Viper HS 2.5-15×44 scope.
    Time to retire the Savage 99E I bought in 1979. Not for sale.

Problem is I have too many guns . . . . . Wait a minute . . . NOT true. I don’t have enough gun safes.

That is my next purchase but in a .270

Brad Dimond
    Participant

Russell MoccasinSignature South 40 Birdshooter – didn’t wear them in the field, just breaking them in now. Retired and plan on spending a lot of time chasing grouse this fall. Treat for my feet.

Youbetcha
    Participant
    Anoka County

At the risk of losing my IDO card, I’m not big on new gear or the latest and greatest. A lithium battery for the Vexilar last year would be about the latest and best thing I’ve bought “recently”, it’s quite a bit lighter and no need to charge it over a long weekend. So I got that going for me, which is nice…

How do you even catch fish? jester I also only use flashers and no live imaging.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

How do you even catch fish? I also only use flashers and no live imaging.

I don’t really, but back in my day all I needed was an FL-8, some twine and a 2×4…UP HILL BOTH WAYS!!! rotflol

Viewing 27 posts - 31 through 57 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.