Best non insulated boot for early season Idaho elk and mule deer trip

• mattgroff
    Participant

I am heading to Idaho on sept 20th for elk and mule deer. Looking for a good hiking boot? Also any other gear you recommend that I bring out.
    Thanks Matt

Deke12
    Participant

Under armour valstez military boot

mattgroff
    Participant

Thank you. I will check them out

steveo
    Participant
    W Central Sconnie

Highly recommend the UA boot line.

Hoyt4
    Participant
    NULL

Danner Pronghorn, Great boot for the mountains.

Ryan P
    Participant
    Farmington

I have a pair of Irish Setter non insulated boots that I love…completely waterproof and lighter than most tennis shoes. Where them all the time pheasant hunting and also a lot bow hunting if its not too cold.

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

Highly recommend the UA boot line.

Same here. I gave up on Danner after a couple of bad experiences. UA has some fine fitting gear. My UA Grouse boots must be 6 or more years old. I am also happy with my Irish Setter Vapor Treks. Been wearing them pheasant hunting for the last two years. Both un-insulated and very comfortable.

whitetails4ever
    Participant
    Rochester, MN

Kenetrek BRIDGER RIDGE HIGH
    And I would highly recommend their gators as well.
    It’ll keep the morning moisture from soaking your pant legs, then into your socks and ultimately your feet.

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

I love the Danner Pronghorns because they are a light, uninsulated boot and there was always very few choices in that department. I’ve had 2 pairs so far, they last about 4 seasons for me.

If this is a mountain hunt, you may need to look at boots with stiffer soles than the standard upland boot.

Whatever you choose, you’d better get it fast. I’d already be very uncomfortable with the amount of break in time you have left! You better be getting boots and putting daily miles on them real fast.

Grouse

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

Go to your nearest Red Wing Boot store, and have them size you up. Making sure you start with the proper fit is as important as whatever you end up buying. If you are looking for a hunting specific boot it’s tough to beat Irish Setter. Red Wing’s hiking line, Vasque, may be worth looking into as well. I have a number of Vasque shoes/boots and love them all.

zooks
    Participant

Go to a couple big box stores and start trying stuff on. Manufacturers have lots of different “lasts” or styles of fit, depending on the type of boot. All mentioned so far are good options but unless it fits your feet specifically, it does you no good.

For example, I can’t wear any Red Wing/Irish Setters because their last just doesn’t work for me. After trying on about 20 pair, I eventually bought the Cabela’s Meindl boots because those fit me best – they would also be a good option for you since they’re built more like a light duty mountaineering boot vs an upland boot but are versatile enough any other purpose.

Whatever you choose, you’d better get it fast. I’d already be very uncomfortable with the amount of break in time you have left! You better be getting boots and putting daily miles on them real fast.

I’ll echo this from Grouse, too. As soon as you buy them, would be best to basically live in them until you leave to get them broken in enough. Hope this helps, good luck.

wormdunker
    Participant

I have owned nearly every brand of boot made and available here in the USA. Danner, Rocky (yuck but the originals were great), Red Wing, Irish Setter, Filson, and on an on.
    The most durable, comfortable and well made boot I have found for my foot is Cabelas Meindl line.

I have stopped looking at other brands.

Jon Stevens
    Participant
    Northfield, Wi

Crispi, Hanwag, Lowa, Zamberlan, and Solomon are great boots. Sierra Trading Post has some killer deals on the Hanwag Dakotas right now. Just picked up another pair for a backup boot (98$). I have all five brands. Kenetreks are awesome as well. My hunting partner loves his. The 90 mile break-in period is a bit for you to get through before your hunt though. Love my Lowa Cevedale Tech Light Hunters. They are all stiff before they are broke in. My feet actually ache the first few days of break-in. After that, you can’t beat boots with good support and no “hot spots” or blisters.

huntinforfish
    Participant

I second what Bigwerm stated. A local Red Wing store is a good place to start. I have a pair of their Vasque hikers that I really like. I also have a pair of the Cabelas Meindl in 400G that are great.

If you are only going to use them out west, a stiffer sole will pay dividends on the rough terrain, but if you will use them more here in the long run, it may not matter to you.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.