Best low Lb. test Braided line for ICE fishing ???

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

The Sufix 832 Vs Fireline post along with the cold temps in the forecast has me thinking about starting to get the ice gear out and ready for the season. I mostly fish Sunfish and Crappies and almost always out on the open ice. In a Low Lb test size (1-3lb ) what have you all found is the best braided line to use? I’ve always been a mono guy but am willing to give a braid a try this season. For those of you who are using braided line for panfishing on the ice do you tie direct to the lure or run a fluro leaded? Thinking of most the braided line I use for open water summer fishing I would think the line would absorb the water and then freeze creating problems – Correct me if I am wrong on that.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

I fish Fireline and suffix in the winter but only on my lake trout rods for no stretch. But yes that line does freeze up and is harder to use if you are fishing outside in cold temps. Mono’s has worked and will still work for the other species.

Deuces

I would be curious to how many more fish are lost to lack of absorption with braid than more fish caught by the small amount of sensitivity gained with braid.

It’s a straight vertical presentation so sensitivity factor is overhyped IMO, but one can’t argue how small these hooks are we use on ice needing that shock absorption.

BackwaterICE

I use fireline crystal and ultra 8 on both open water and ice in 4, 6 and 8lb

Open water it is on my 7′ panfish rod that I cast small jigs and/or slip bobber ice jigs

Ice I use it for jig and spoon fishing crappie and perch. I also have a rod spooled up with crystal for a finicky fooler set rod. It hole hops great, just pinch the line between your fingers and squeegee water off every now and then. You can pull the line between you fingernails and clear ice. I hole hopped for 4 days with minimal fraying. It doesn’t build up any more ice than fluoro

That said, I backfill my reels with cheap mono, add about 50 yards of fireline, micro swivel, then fluoro

I’ve used power pro ice tec and 832 ice – not a fan, they both ice up more than fireline and don’t jig as well for me

You don’t have to worry about shock absorption if the rod can compensate. I get much better open water hooksets with fireline over mono or fluoro

Ripjiggen

No braid on my panfish rods. Not needed imo. The rods I use are sensitive enough. And hole hopping for panfish sucks when you have line freeze. Use braid on most of my walleye rods with leaders.

Deuces

You don’t have to worry about shock absorption if the rod can compensate. I get much better open water hooksets with fireline over mono or fluoro

It’s not comparable hooksets on open water to ice. Rod lengths are completely different as well. And my point is an average 18-24″ rod, which the handle is a good percent of that, will not absorb shock like a 7′ rod. As stated, the hooks on some these panfish lures are microscopic making that absorption imperative.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I don’t ice fish but I do fish docks well into early ice territory temperature-wise and I use Clams Frost braid in 4 pound on my two long rods that I use. Love the stuff except for knot tying. 4 pound frost braid is thinner than a hair. The line handles fish well beyond the 4 pound test its rated at. Unlike so many braids that get stiff in the cold when wet the Frost stays super supple allowing me to read upward hits in a heartbeat and transfers hit like an electric shock. Love the stuff.

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

I have been only using braid for ice fishing (panfish) for years. If you can find (My supply is dwindling) 1 lb test Berkley fireline crystal…it is incredibly thin….super strong… and really fun to tie a jig….cheaters….They quit making it about 5 yrs ago but there still may be some around. 2 lb in my opinion is too thick to use as is. 4 lb Sufix ice braid is close…..

BackwaterICE

It’s not comparable hooksets on open water to ice. Rod lengths are completely different as well. And my point is an average 18-24″ rod, which the handle is a good percent of that, will not absorb shock like a 7′ rod. As stated, the hooks on some these panfish lures are microscopic making that absorption imperative.

The hookset sweep is fractional as well, so its a wash. A decent 28-32″ noodle or soft tipped carbon blank can handle a braid hookset. I build ice rods a little different knowing they use fluoro/braid primarily. Most ice mono/fluoro is limited stretch but not no stretch as braid, especially 2lb or less. Some fluoro stretches more than others, like suffix invisiline. Berkely, seagar, and clam fluoro are very limited stretch. Suffix ice magic is pretty good for mono

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I have been only using braid for ice fishing (panfish) for years. If you can find (My supply is dwindling) 1 lb test Berkley fireline crystal…it is incredibly thin….super strong… and really fun to tie a jig….cheaters….They quit making it about 5 yrs ago but there still may be some around. 2 lb in my opinion is too thick to use as is. 4 lb Sufix ice braid is close…..

What knot do you tie when using that 1 lb. crystal. I know when it came out people were saying any knot you used would slip with almost any pressure on it. it was real waxy and micro small diam.

asch
    Eastern Iowa

Fish two rods, one with 2 lb fluoro, one with fireline, for a while and I think you will find that you catch more fish with the fluoro. My experience is in shallow backwaters.

Tinker
    Iron Range

A couple of years ago I switch my open water and ice rods to 4 and 6 Lbs Sufix Advance Mono . It is a low stretch copolymer line. I use it without a Fluoro leader.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Fireline Ultra 8 is very good on the ice. I still prefer to just use it in the heated shack.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I don’t ice fish but I do fish docks well into early ice territory temperature-wise and I use Clams Frost braid in 4 pound on my two long rods that I use. Love the stuff except for knot tying. 4 pound frost braid is thinner than a hair. The line handles fish well beyond the 4 pound test its rated at. Unlike so many braids that get stiff in the cold when wet the Frost stays super supple allowing me to read upward hits in a heartbeat and transfers hit like an electric shock. Love the stuff.

Yes, it was upon your recommendation last year Tom I was able to chase down some of the Clam Frost Braid.

I will say I was not at the least disappointed. The two things I favored with the braid is little to no line twist. I’ve watched panfish on the camera and then they’ll charge in as the bait dropped, but then pull up and wait as the bait spins. Light biters don’t care for a spinning meal and want it almost dead still before they nibble.

Which leads to the second plus, with some the bite so light I’ve found the braid will send a signal to the rod tip better then mono.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

The two things I favored with the braid is little to no line twist. I’ve watched panfish on the camera and then they’ll charge in as the bait dropped, but then pull up and wait as the bait spins. Light biters don’t care for a spinning meal and want it almost dead still before they nibble.

Which leads to the second plus, with some the bite so light I’ve found the braid will send a signal to the rod tip better then mono.

These two are the only reason I’m even considering using braided line. Sounds like both of you tied direct to the lure. what is the underwater visibility of the clam braid like?

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

These two are the only reason I’m even considering using braided line. Sounds like both of you tied direct to the lure. what is the underwater visibility of the clam braid like?

Well, that’s a good question. The line appears super thin but I’m sure it’s not invisible underwater.

I’ll confess I’m not as much concerned with line color, leader type, length if using one.

I’m sure my lack of attention to that detail may have prevented me from catching as many fish as those that obsess with such things.

But I do okay otherwise. I’ve also wondered how much a fish notices the line for it’s color or existence at all. I’m sure they do…sometimes, but how often do they care?

I’ve observed reluctant biting crappies and bluegills on an underwater camera. Fun to watch them and hopefully your jig and spike aren’t spinning. But as they approach and either back off or just sit there, they appear to be entirely focused on the bait. Not the line from which it is suspended. Move the bait and the fish reacts…or doesn’t react.

I’d suggest you give it a try. FWIW, I’ve mostly gone to braid on all my ice fishing. Most of which is walleye though, and jigging in 25-30′ of water, the no stretch braid will stick the hookset much better than mono IMO.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

….with some the bites so light I’ve found the braid will send a signal to the rod tip better then mono.

The Frost braid I prefer is just like this. I have hits so light that there is noting in rod movement at all, but the line itself sends a definite message indicating a hit. In my opinion that is one of the few attributes to braids that makes a real difference. Why spend $100.00+ dollars on a rod when $9.99 worth of line will do more for you?

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

I tie a Palomar knot ….

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I tie direct, no snap or clip. As for visibility, the 4 pound is such a small diameter that it looks more like a filament in a spider’s web in the grey color that I use so it doesn’t really show up anywhere, including in your hands while trying to tie a knot in it. I use my glasses and tie against a dark background so I can see what the heck I am doing. It also comes in a chartreuse color but I avoid it.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

X2 on the Clam Frost braid.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Is 4lb test the lowest test that the clam frost braid comes in?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I’ve never looked for anything in the Frost braid smaller than 4 pound, but seriously the 4 is so thin its darned hard to see at times and if you are trying to tie in the wind have fun. Like I’ve mentioned, the 4 pound Frost braid is as fine as a blonde hair so I wouldn’t even consider buying something finer at my age with my eyes.

I first bought into the Frost over a year ago for my dock rods, full sized 6 foot ul action hand builds I did up. I had 4 pound Nanofil on the reels prior to that and thought it was a superb line. Since I am not casting so much, mostly just vertical drops like ice fishing would allow, I just spooled one of the rods up right over the nanofil to try it. 50 yards too up no room at all. I’ve fish jigs down to 1/64 ounce on the Frost and the line, even in freezing temps, allows even the slightest coiling that may occur to come right out. The merest, slightest, upward suck on the jig shows visibly as a relaxed line PLUS a very definite TICK you can feel in the rod without any direct contact with the line. I can feel these light hits with jersey gloves on when its real cold.

Go buy a spool of the 4 pound braid in grey. Spool it up and fish it. Save your receipt. If you are not impressed with it just hand wrap it back on the factory spoon, slip the spool back in the original box/packaging and return saying you’re not happy with it. After using it a couple times I’m betting you’ll throw the box and receipt.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Here are some data that I kept on the lines I used. Pay attention to the manufacture listed line diameter and test#. Of course I line test them off my fish line scale to check their strength and knot strength based on how I tie them in real life usage.

Stren Microfuse .08 mm 2# line break 4# 9 oz.

Berkley Fireline Crystal .06 mm 1# line break 3# 5 oz.
    Berkley Fireline Crystal .08 mm 2#knot break 3# 9 oz.
    Berkley Fireline Crystal .10 mm 3# line break 6# 4 oz.
    Berkley Fireline Original .13 mm 4# knot break 6# 12 oz.

Diawa J-Braid x8 .06 mm 6# knot break 8# 4 oz.
    Diawa J-Braid x8 .15 mm 10# knot break 13#
    Diawa J-Braid Grand x8 .06mm 6# knot break 6# 4 oz.
    Diawa J-Braid Grand x8 .13 mm 8# knot break 10# 12 oz.
    Diawa J-Braid Grand x8 .15 mm 10# knot break 16# 14 oz.

ASSO Micro Finish braid .08 mm 10# knot break 8# 4 oz. Mfg claim break of 13.2#
    ASSO Micro Finish braid .10 mm 12# knot break 9# 12 oz. Mfg claim break of 16.5#

Berkley Fireline Ultra 8 carrier .12mm 4# knot break 8# 4 oz.
    Berkley NanoFil 4# .10mm knot break 7# 5 oz.
    Berkley NanoFil 6# .13mm knot break 9# 14 oz.

They are all great lines in low #test. As the going goes, smallest in diameter is not a simple answer. Everything from your equipment and how a person uses it matters. In terms of freeze resistance it’s more about line diameter and shedding the whole water droplet. Getting teflon treated line is wonderful for water shedding, but it creates smaller water droplets and freezes up faster. It’s a trade off and how one works with it. This applies to braided line even more so in terms of line diameter.

Given that Berkley Fireline Ultra 8 is coming out with some 2# and 3# versions for ice in 50 yd spools. They’re listing the 2# at .07 mm and 3# at .10 mm.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Slipperybob, interesting-thank you. Which came off your spool the easiest and overall favorite for panfish? You must have good eyes I’m guessing. That’s so thin going up to a little higher pound test really doesn’t sacrifice diameter. Thoughts?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The Frost braid at 4 pound has a diameter of .108mm. Most likely thinner at 4# than the Fireline ultra at 4.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Slipperybob, interesting-thank you. Which came off your spool the easiest and overall favorite for panfish? You must have good eyes I’m guessing. That’s so thin going up to a little higher pound test really doesn’t sacrifice diameter. Thoughts?

Every year, I see less clarity in those little lines. I just trust that when I am able to thread it through the hole, I will still be able to tie my knot. Gets to the point where I cam almost tie it blind or in the almost complete dark. LOL.

As for which braid peels off the spool the easiest…depends on actual equipment and situation. I didn’t list in there, but the Sufix 832 4# line comes with a listed mfg line diameter of .10 mm. is a really good contender overall.

In the heated shack, I will go with Diawa J-braid x8. Outside in the subfreeze, I will go with Fireline Ultra 8. That thermal fused makes it more water resistant than a straight braid.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

That thermal fused makes it more water resistant than a straight braid.

Woven or layered braids are magnets for water absorption and freezing issues when in the open air on the ice. I didn’t notice it much with the Frost when I fished on the docks a couple mornings when the temps dipped into the teens. I always like Nanofil as long as the temp was on the top side of freezing but it got miserable below freezing.

The fused lines are great for not icing but I found them stiff when the temps took a dive. I’m getting to be a puss in my old age and enjoy reading about fishing when its cold out than fishing in the cold. lol

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I’m getting to be a puss in my old age and enjoy reading about fishing when its cold out than fishing in the cold. lol

Me too Tom, I spend more fishing time vicariously the older I get as well…reading or watching something, or following actual fishing discussion here.

Another reason though I’ve continually transitioned to ice fishing in a sleeper house. Two lines in the water, wearing slippers and pajamas for a couple days. Cookstove and an indoor bathroom, beer and…what more could a guy want. yay

Here are some data that I kept on the lines I used.

Actually…if you could, how about a refresher on those mini baitcast type reels you’re using for ice fishing?

I remember you posting about them some time back and was curious again.

Brands/costs…advantages?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.