Best Fish house for a Short Bed Truck?

• BigWerm
    SW Metro

My buddy bought a new Chevy pickup with the 5’10” box, and is looking to get a fish house for ice fishing with his son this winter. My understanding is most flip overs don’t fit in that bed. What would you recommend? Hub?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

69?
    rotflol rotflol: rotflol

ekruger01

I have a crew cab tundra with the smallest bed and a 2600 eskimo fits with the tailgate closed. Barely, But fits.

Mookie Blaylock
    Wright County, MN

Websites give the dimensions…

I had a Nanook that fit in my old short bed, but I had to remove the toolbox first.

Hauling anything with a short bed was a real goat rope.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

I believe the newer eskimo flipovers (eskape??) work really well in short beds. My buddy got one for his ford specifically for this reason. It’s a nice shack. As mentioned check dimensions on mfg’s website.

IDK though I’m considering once again switching to hub shacks exclusively. setup and takedown are exactly the same in practice, transport is much simpler, etc. I currently own both but the two times I took out my Otter Pro Cabin last year really weren’t worth the hassle. And I can’t sleep in it comfortably.

404 ERROR
    MN

I’ll give the IDO answer. Your buddy needs to sell his truck for a 8.5′ bed 2500…Only way he can ice fish.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’ll give the IDO answer. Your buddy needs to sell his truck for a 8.5′ bed 2500…Only way he can ice fish.

Yeah, I already congratulated him on the minivan. I don’t care enough to check out a bunch of websites, so just looking for some easy answers to send his way. Thanks for the feedback thus far!

IceManBran

Psh…2500? 1 ton dually with a 24′ wheel house is bare minimum for fishing success. Anything less and you might as well stay home.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

The flip up house dimensions are all available online. An idea would be to look up Otter, Clam, Eskimo options to see which ones could dimensionally fit. Find some store setup demos to get a sense of how they will fish with respect to space (smaller flip ups are going to fish small). Entertain a hub if house space isn’t there.

Flip ups are more mobile than hubs. That may or may not be a primary consideration based on fishing style.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

My buddy bought a new Chevy pickup with the 5’10” box

I already congratulated him on the minivan

It’s not a minivan. hah It is a Subaru Baja. Wait I think that had a bigger bed.

I know they make these boxes so small so the overall length can still fit into a standard garage. What is even the point having a 5’ something bed? 9’ bed was at one time called standard and 8’ was short. Then 7’. Suggest a hub. That will fit in his back seat.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Flip ups are more mobile than hubs. That may or may not be a primary consideration based on fishing style.

I’ve owned 2 sled shacks, 4 hub shacks, and a plywood suitcase shack and honestly I disagree with this. Juts my opinion, but the only thing that’s truly more mobile is being on foot.

Flipping up the shack, throwing everything in the tub, dragging it to a new spot, drilling holes again, etc. takes just as much time as crashing down the hub, throwing it in the tub and dragging it all to a new location.

I think many here already know the only real answer for mobility and that is a good ice suit and a lightweight flasher. Whichever shack you use, use it as a base camp and stay mobile in the surrounding area without dragging a shack.

it took me a few years to realize this but once I did my wallet was happier (not chasing the next best shack) and my fishing time increased exponentially. The shack stays warm so when I need a break I can go back to jigging in there.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I have a grocery store truck and use an otter cottage and a 7 ft otter sled for my hub. Closing the tailgate is overrated. Grab a few rachet straps and leave the tailgate open and chose whatever sled you want

B-man

Another thing to consider is height. Most Otters are too tall to close the tonneau, but I think Eskimo designs some of their shacks intentionally short enough to do so.

404 ERROR
    MN

It’s not a minivan. It is a Subaru Baja.

No it’s not…It’s an Equinox with a patio…

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I know they make these boxes so small so the overall length can still fit into a standard garage. What is even the point having a 5’ something bed?

I just moved in May and I can say with almost 100% certainty that the reason is for the garage. A full size truck is about 20 feet long, give or take. A standard size garage is 21 feet long.

I think a lot of people use a crew cab truck as their “family” vehicle. Big SUVs are more expensive and the insurance costs more, so a truck with a crew cab is what they’re using.

mojogunter

the Otter Cabin is 5’6″ long folded up, and the cottage is 4’6″ folded up. Both should fit fine in the back of the ford.

mojogunter

I am pretty old and I don’t remember anything longer than a 8′ box. When did they make a standard box longer than 8′?

I know they make these boxes so small so the overall length can still fit into a standard garage. What is even the point having a 5’ something bed? 9’ bed was at one time called standard and 8’ was short. Then 7’. Suggest a hub. That will fit in his back seat.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I am pretty old and I don’t remember anything longer than a 8′ box. When did they make a standard box longer than 8′?

40’s and 50’s Chevy 1-tons. My uncle in law has 4 of them with 9’ boxes and refuse to sell me one. Wish he would. They are just rotting in the field. I did reach a little with a 9’ standard box comment.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Merican Eagle wrote:</div>

Yeah, I already congratulated him on the minivan. I don’t care enough to check out a bunch of websites, so just looking for some easy answers to send his way. Thanks for the feedback thus far!

Hey now! You can fit an otter lodge in a minivan with the 2nd and 3rd rows folded down.

In that configuration my wife’s van has more bed space than my Silverado doah

deertracker

This is why I love my 6.5 foot bed and topper. I leave my Otter in there all winter. Ready to fish at a moments notice. I don’t, but I could… rotflol
    DT

big_g
    Isle, MN

Clam Nanook XL is 5’1″. With room to spare. waytogo

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

I’ve owned 2 sled shacks, 4 hub shacks, and a plywood suitcase shack and honestly I disagree with this. Juts my opinion, but the only thing that’s truly more mobile is being on foot.

Flipping up the shack, throwing everything in the tub, dragging it to a new spot, drilling holes again, etc. takes just as much time as crashing down the hub, throwing it in the tub and dragging it all to a new location.

I think many here already know the only real answer for mobility and that is a good ice suit and a lightweight flasher. Whichever shack you use, use it as a base camp and stay mobile in the surrounding area without dragging a shack.

it took me a few years to realize this but once I did my wallet was happier (not chasing the next best shack) and my fishing time increased exponentially. The shack stays warm so when I need a break I can go back to jigging in there.

My knock against hubs… WIND. Maybe there are better designs now but when I was using one the production of dealing with ice screws and guidelines pushed me away from using them. I spend the majority of my time ice fishing outside anyway. It sounds like we probably have a similar approach while on the ice but personal preferences probably differ. I like the flip ups because I find them more flexible. It’s already a sled. I’ve removed all the seats and just use a bucket as I’m already bringing one. If you’re hole hopping and just want a wind break they can work for that. If you’re using it as a wind break you can easily position it to watch tip ups, AFs, etc. It can be flipped down to run a heater as a warming house if you’re going to sit for a while. For what I want out of a portable the flip ups seem to be the best design.

mnfisherman18

I own a Ford F150 Minivan (5.5 bed with topper), and the otter hub sits in back all winter. With a lightweight sled, I think I am more mobile than I would be with most of the heavy flip-overs.

Nodakk

As said earlier, can confirm an otter cabin will fit in a short bed with the tailgate closed. Tonneau cover is a different story…

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Ice runner is worth looking at. I use one and the 2 man explorer fits in a short bed and has a shallow tub. No issues with the tonneau.

Only weighs 49 #’s. It’s a bit on the small side for a 2 man but they also have a three man that could work. I love mine.

https://icerunnerhouses.com/ice-house-explorer/

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I have a grocery store truck and use an otter cottage and a 7 ft otter sled for my hub. Closing the tailgate is overrated. Grab a few rachet straps and leave the tailgate open and chose whatever sled you want

I close my tailgate and let the shack ride on top at the angle. The auger fits perfectly next to it and the rod case fits under it

rjohnson8404

I have short bed Ram and my Clam Yukon Xl fits great with the tailgate closed

MX1825

Are you crazy Eagle? He needs a dually with a 22 foot trailer minimum. Cause you need a 6 person SxS to haul everyone’s gear. whistling

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.