Best Fish Fry?

• Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Participant
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I know most of you here would say your own fresh caught fish on a shore lunch with a 12 pack of Hamm’s. jester
    I’m wondering though what some of your suggestions would be for restaurants, supper clubs, taverns,…for best fish fry’s. Myself, having lived in both Minnesota and Wisconsin, I’d give the nod to Wisconsin for the best, most diversity in fish choices (walleye, lake perch, bluegill, even Rainbow trout).
    After spending this weekend visiting family in Wisconsin…2 votes.
    Culvers, I know?? But where can you get walleye fast food from a drive thru?
    Overlooked, but beautiful…walleye and eggs, from Maple Tree in McFarland Wisconsin. Without this digressing into a Packer/Viking finger poking game…favorite fish fry’s?

Attachments:
    1. 20170331_180939.jpg

2. 20170402_110705.jpg

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

Hard to say who is best. I can tell you what makes some not the best. Many (you would be surprised) cross fry with other foods. They will do chicken, potato’s and fish in the same oil. So you get a cross over of tastes. Also many don’t do a fish fry starting with new fresh oil. If your fish is a darker color or seems oily it’s because they are using old oil which takes longer to heat up allowing more oil to soak in.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

The FW used to get fish pretty regularly at restaurants. Then she started to eat the fish I cooked at home, now she rarely orders it, and if she does usually is disappointed. I’ve stopped ordering fish out to eat, to many things on the menu that I cant cook myself id rather get.

With all that said, I am a sucker for McDs fish sandwich every once in awhile. Almost like being disgusted with that thing they call a cheese slice, and whole thing is usually always assembled crooked aint they?!

And during Lent the kids school has Friday fish frys, and man I tell you everyone loves that stuff. Beer battered I believe but everyone grubs down.

riverruns
    Inactive

My house, bar none! toast

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

The 5-8 Tavern in Maplewood has an excellent fish fry on Fridays. $12.99 all you can eat. It’s cod or haddock, obviously, but it’s well prepared and very crispy. For $13 a head, it’s really good. Get there before 6 and you can double down on drinks for $1.

Grouse

shefland
    Participant
    Walker

The annual smelt and fish fry at federal dam on Leech around the middle of April, absolutely outstanding, sides are out of sight, fry bread, beans, salads, deserts, put on by the federal dam Fire Department

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Mmmmm, you had me at frybread mrgreen

djshannon
    Participant
    Crosslake

If your are up in the Brainerd Lakes Area on Wednesday Night, you can’t beat Andy’s Bar and Grill in beautiful downtown Crosslake. All you can eat batter fried Walleye and chips for $13.95.

You will find me there about once a month!! wave

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

Growing up the best were always at a VFW or American Legion. I haven’t been to one in a long time, but always cod or pollock for me.

Leo Dogg
    Participant

The Valley Bar. Best in western Wisconsin.

Seven miles east of Prescott on highway 10.

Buffet style. Great selection. All you can eat.

The Valley has had great Friday fish fries for 3 generations. Amy the owner and chief cook continues the tradition.

Every Friday the parking lot is usually 50% Minnesota plates.

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

As a kid growing up in Michigan all the lent fish fries included smelt. I miss eating smelt.

Geerdes
    Participant
    Brandon, SD 57005

Wagon Wheel in Brille, WI is very good.

robby
    Participant
    Quad Cities

So Long Johns doesnt rate???

Mike Stephens
    Participant
    WI.

Yes the Maple tree is Good chow. I’m partial to the Mrs. walleye and crappie that we catch. Next time your in the Madison area Andy try the cod at the 5th Quarter in Verona, good stuff.

riverruns
    Inactive

My house, bar none! toast

Mmm. Some of the best. We wrapped some in the bacon I made. toast We didn’t do it on a Friday.

Lent, and a fish fry wrapped in bacon wont work on a Friday. devil Shawn

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

Cowboy Jacks has a Sunny or Panfish platter. I won’t say it was anything extraordinary, but to be able to eat panfish at a restaurant in MN was cool.

It probably was tilapia LOL

catmando
    Participant
    wis

Ditto on the valley bar ,it’s the best!

bigpike
    Participant

My favorite recent fish fry – within the last 5 years would be the Greshem Inn on Lower Greshem north of Minocqua about 45 miles. Family style, excellent fish, potato salad and slaw. My all-time favorite was Etzels in Germantown Wis. Best perch fry ever. I miss Etzels and everything about it and the era. While the fish has to be excellent a great fish fry must include fresh rye, great potatoe salad and great creamy slaw for it to make it to greatness on my book. I will add that the cherry on the top is real old fashions. 2 before dinner.

mattgroff
    Participant

Cast iron pan with coconut oil and shore lunch. It was awesome

belletaine
    Participant
    Nevis, MN

Cowboy Jacks has a Sunny or Panfish platter. I won’t say it was anything extraordinary, but to be able to eat <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>panfish at a restaurant in MN was cool.

There’s a restaurant in Marine on St. Croix that has bluegills on the menu, very good.
    The Groveland Tap in Mac Grove has a great all you can eat fish fry. I’ve been there five out of the last seven Fridays! They also have malt vinegar on the table which I love on battered fish.

Buzz
    Participant
    Minneapolis MN

Anchor Cafe in NE Mpls. authentic fish and chips fried in beef tallow.

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mplspug wrote:</div>
    Cowboy Jacks has a Sunny or Panfish platter. I won’t say it was anything extraordinary, but to be able to eat <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>panfish at a restaurant in MN was cool.

There’s a restaurant in Marine on St. Croix that has bluegills on the menu, very good.

Now you tell me coffee

Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

Seeing as how I am more of a Fisherman and less of a Catcherman any other suggestions?
    Preferably in the S. Metro.

Rod Bent
    Participant

EPG, you crack me up! You have a knack for one-liners. LOL
    I like the walleye dinner at Culver’s. Fresh and hand-dipped.
    And smelt anywhere

gotone
    Participant
    Burnsville, MN

EPG, the Red Fox Tavern in Lakeville-just south of Mcstop..has a great walleye dinner! It was recently sold and closed for remodeling for a few more weeks. Hopefully, the new owner will keep it on the menu and still be good. My wife always orders it broiled and loves it. I am more stubborn, I refuse to order walleye in a restaurant….. because I’m the walleye fisherman and should be able to supply fish for my wife????. Guess, I’m also more of a fisherman and less of a catcherman too????

ozzyky
    Participant
    On water

I don’t think valley is as good as it used to be…still good but, if just comparing fish I’d take the bluffs in Hager city over the valley every time.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

I ate at a pickled loon in grand rapids Minnesota. there special was sunfish. and I,ve been seeing this more and more but people I talk to that have bought this says you nee to rescale most of them?????

never had it since its the main fish I chase so usually have my own. eating fish out scares me. while fishing in Canada I seen how they keep them on occasins, I cant get that outta my head when I see fish on the menu. they basically threw them in like a big garbage dumpster and throw ice on them and close the lid. then there was the flies.

now smelt fries!!!!!!! but there hard to find around here nowadays!!!!!!!!

1hl&sinker
    Participant
    On the St.Croix

I don’t think valley is as good as it used to be…still good but, if just comparing fish I’d take the bluffs in Hager city over the valley every time.

Sorry for being off topic but anyone been to the Valley’s chicken fry? been invited to go this later today.

Sharon
    Participant
    Dakota County, MN

St. John Vianney Church in SSP has a great fish fry. Jersey’s in IGH is good as well. Fireside Lounge in WSP. Tinucci’s in Woodbury.

We’ve also heard good things about St. Matthew’s on Hall Ave, Guardian Angels Church in Oakdale, and Holy Family Maronite Church in Mendota Heights. They are a Lebanese-based Catholic Church and I hear the side dishes they serve are delicious! We’re going to try them out the Friday after next.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Participant
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Seeing as how I am more of a Fisherman and less of a Catcherman any other suggestions?
    Preferably in the S. Metro.

Thanks for rebooting this thread EPG. From almost 2 years ago, I forgot all about it and don’t even remember all the good suggestions…and there were good one’s.

As history repeats itself, I’ll be going back down to Madison to visit my youngest daughter and grandsons next weekend, just like when I started this thread 2 years ago. Did the same last year too and as has been tradition, I’m sure we’ll do the Culver’s and Maple Tree again.

Nevertheless, good suggestions have been put forth. I’d like to follow up on some of those but this thread also gives good information for anyone else following.

Bon “fish” appetite’ smile

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.