Best Electric Ice Auger

• John Duns
    Participant

Appreciate all the replies! I’ll keep an eye out for any deals on the SM40 or the Ion. Good to see both offer a solid product for us to choose from.

KwickStick
    Participant
    At the intersection of Pools 6 & 7

Scheel’s just lowered their prices on Strikemaster augers.

Aboxy17
    Participant

I just got the 8-inch lite flite to put on my clam plate with a Dewalt switched from the K-drill and I like it way better. It would be a lifesaver if SM started selling the 40v and 24v powerheads separately because my Dewalt probably has 1-2 years left. I think Jiffy sells its electric powerhead separately actually. Anyways if you see this James put in a word with the big man over at strike master.

Ripjiggen
    Participant

I just got the 8-inch lite flite to put on my clam plate with a Dewalt switched from the K-drill and I like it way better. It would be a lifesaver if SM started selling the 40v and 24v powerheads separately because my Dewalt probably has 1-2 years left. I think Jiffy sells its electric powerhead separately actually. Anyways if you see this James put in a word with the big man over at strike master.

So they have sold like 2 in the upper Midwest. jester
    Jiffy probably needs all the help it can get at this point.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Yeah, just buy a unit with the drill then you have an extra.

Aboxy17
    Participant

I remember when Jiffy was top of the line and the most popular brand then they went straight downhill with the electric auger boom. I don’t think I have seen a Jiffy Electic auger on the ice ever.

Hookset
    Participant
    Southern MN

I remember when Jiffy was top of the line and the most popular brand then they went straight downhill with the electric auger boom. I don’t think I have seen a Jiffy Electic auger on the ice ever.

I owned a jiffy for many years, cold blooded, but never failed me, then the ion came along. I have had ion x for 5 winters, never changed the blades and the same battery. Only burnt the battery down twice on it, 25” of ice and hole hoping for late season crappies, never had an exact hole count but it was a lot!

Ripjiggen
    Participant

They went propane when everyone else went electric..fell way behind. I sure don’t miss those loud things. Always knew when a jiffy was drilling a hole.

Coletrain27
    Participant

They went propane when everyone else went electric..fell way behind. I sure don’t miss those loud things. Always knew when a jiffy was drilling a hole.

They always seemed to be twice as loud as another gas auger. Definitely had a distinct sound to them

grpubl7
    Participant
    Central WI

Had a 10″ Jiffy 3Hp that I bought new in 1976. It had the suicide handle. My dad tried it circa 1985 and it launched him one time when the blades stuck trying to break through on the bottom of the ice. You really had to hang on. Ended up contacting Jiffy and they sent the butterfly handles with throttle assy, free of charge. Apparently, that suicide handle was a liability waytogo

Got a 7″ Strikemaster lightweight power auger in ’93 that drilled many a hole. Sold it when I moved to Phoenix in ’12…didn’t figure I’d ever use it there. Made it back to the Frozen Tundra and now run a Milwaukee FUEL with a 7″ auger. It cuts fine and al, but I can see myself moving up to a Strikemaster Electric or an Ion Alpha within the next year or two. Going to see if I can wear out this 1200 inch/pound hand drill first. woot

lrott2003
    Participant
    Wisconsin

I have the drill set up mainly because I wanted drill set for home so I use that all year round. I run the Lite Flight 8 inch with a dewalt and it is awesome this is my third year with it. Cuts super fast and as clean as day one. That being said I will be going to a 24 volt SM next year with extra battery just because I am getting tired of having to chuck mine every time since I use the drill for other things during winter.

I am pretty sure I will lose some cutting speed but oh well… I would look into the Ion’s as well…. I don’t see much difference.

BAR
    Participant

I use the drill dewalt with 8” pistol bit. Super light and effective. Bought an adapter so don’t have to re-chuck between auger and ice anchors.

KwickStick
    Participant
    At the intersection of Pools 6 & 7

The other day I snapped and bought a 24v Strikemaster on sale. It will be great for the river backwaters I fish. Going to resell my pistol bit and M18 fuel. I use my 12v drill for everything around here anyway.

Joe Dirty
    Participant
    Big Lake

Has anyone tried a 10″ with a drill set up? If yes, what bit did you use? I am leary of trying it in fears of my drill burning up but I might try it if someone else has had good success

Aboxy17
    Participant

If I am not mistaken I think I saw a clam promo vid with a guy drilling a 10 in bit on a clam plate with the gearbox as a wheelhouse setup. I think Joe Holland on youtube also uses a 10 in Ion bit with a Cordless drill.

Joe Dirty
    Participant
    Big Lake

If I am not mistaken I think I saw a clam promo vid with a guy drilling a 10 in bit on a clam plate with the gearbox as a wheelhouse setup. I think Joe Holland on youtube also uses a 10 in Ion bit with a Cordless drill.

I’ll look into that! I have the clam plate so would need to add the gearbox to it for sure.

lindyrig79
    Participant
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

My buddy just bought an Ion 40 today at Reeds. Thing is so light and cuts ice good. So far liking it a lot.

disco bobber
    Participant

I got a Jiffy Torch/Dewalt drill combo and am really happy with it. Kind of an accidental purchase.

Viewing 18 posts - 31 through 48 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.