Best ATV Winter Battery?

• Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

2010 Honda Rancher 420. Towards the end of ice season last year sounded like the battery was about to die while starting. Of course, no problems during spring/summer weather. Looking to update.

Thanks!

-J.

404 ERROR
    MN

Yuasa or Odyssey. Nothing else compares in regards to LA powersports batteries.

JoeMX1825
    MN

a bit off topic, but I carry a noco battery jumper in my atv glovebox just in case my starting battery dies…I have a plug-in dongle already wired to the battery so it’s a simple plug-in and charge vs messing around with plastic covers and small bolts & screws in the freezing cold…

Spencer Haugen

Joe could you post a picture of that battery jumper and how you have that thing wired to the battery? I’m curious on how it’s setup I have a Yamaha kodiak and the battery is under the front rack so becomes a pain to get to

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I Usually get around 3 years out of my ATV batteries regardless of the brand. Better with my Kawasakis for some reason. They must have a very good charging system. I was using Yuasa but lately just Duracell purely out of convenience. That’s the brand sold at my local batteries plus. So far so good.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Joe could you post a picture of that battery jumper and how you have that thing wired to the battery? I’m curious on how it’s setup I have a Yamaha kodiak and the battery is under the front rack so becomes a pain to get to

yep, i’ll post some pics

JoeMX1825
    MN

Here’s my setup, NOCO GB40 and a directly wired dongle cable. Just plug the NOCO into the dongle and jump your ATV.

I think this is the dongle model now (https://no.co/gbc003) just make sure you can remove the clamps and use the circle connectors on the battery terminal bolts (back when I purchased mine a few years ago, they had a specific dongle model that had removable battery clamps)

My Grizzly has a gap between the plastics that the dongle cable can route through.

Attachments:
    1. A3B0D045-BAD0-4A71-A33A-BCF5A115C8FA-scaled.jpeg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I keep a battery tender on mine ALL the time, seems to help with longevity.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Here’s my setup, NOCO GB40 and a directly wired dongle cable. Just plug the NOCO into the dongle and jump your ATV.

I did something similar on my Polaris. Wired a 2-wire plug directly to the battery and then fed and zip tied it under the frame so it just hangs out on one side above the footboards.

I connect it to a solar charger that sits in the window of my shed. Works great. I think the output of even a solar charger is PLENTY to keep a little ATV battery topped up.

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

Not brand specific but any AGM battery. Most of mine last over 5 years. If you don’t charge it for several months it will be fine.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I keep a battery tender on mine ALL the time, seems to help with longevity.

Yep, I use battery tenders with all my toys, I agree it makes a difference… This NOCO jumperpack is for remote situations (like in the middle of a frozen lake) and the starter battery is toast…

munchy
    NULL

I think this is the dongle model now just make sure you can remove the clamps and use the circle connectors on the battery terminal bolts (back when I purchased mine a few years ago, they had a specific dongle model that had removable battery clamps)

My Grizzly has a gap between the plastics that the dongle cable can route through.

They make a cable with rings already attached now, so you don’t need to butcher a good cable and can still use the jumper for other things as well.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B071F36LXZ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_XARHHSAS3B2ENX8RTTZS

JoeMX1825
    MN

yep, that’s similar to what I have, although my connector and cables are much more heavy duty… the terminal clamps simply unbolted revealing the rings…

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

A bit off topic, but I’m another person who uses a battery tender on everything. My tritoon doesn’t have an on-board charger and I only have a 2 bank charger on my boat for the trolling batteries.

I flip a battery tender between the tritoon and starting battery for my boat once a week until they’re topped off. It takes seconds and seems flawless. This way if there ever is an issue with my onboard charger, I don’t find out about it as I am at the landing. I’ll at least have my cranking batteries good to go. I’ve seen plenty of people with newer boats and batteries confused as can be when their boat was “plugged in” but the cranking battery is dead due to an onboard charger fault.

I also carry an Audew Jump Pack in my truck at all times and toss it in the tritoon, side by sides, etc. for all day adventures. They are more compact, have more power, and substantially better reviews than the NOCOs.

Spencer Haugen

Awesome thank you! I’ll have to order one for my kodiak

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Went with a new AGM. Already have a trickle charger wired in. Picked up a portable jumper unit. Has a USB plug for the phone and a small air compressor to add air to a flat tire. Not too hard to lift the seat off and hit it with the jumpers if needed. Should be good to go!

-J.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Slightly off topic but sometimes if I need my plow atv to start in subsonic weather a fully charged battery still wont do it. My solution has been a hose heater. Works like a champ as long as you are near electricity.

munchy
    NULL

I think this is the dongle model now (https://no.co/gbc003) just make sure you can remove the clamps and use the circle connectors on the battery terminal bolts (back when I purchased mine a few years ago, they had a specific dongle model that had removable battery clamps)

They make a specific cord with rings now so you don’t need to butcher a good set and can use the jumper for other things as well.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B071F36LXZ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_XARHHSAS3B2ENX8RTTZS

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.