Best All Around Ice Fishing Gloves

• bryan t
    Montana

What’s everybody’s go to glove. Mitt or glove?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I fish with out gloves the majority of the time. Rarely have gloves on. So I use mittens so I can clinch my fists when real cold. And I think they are good on the wheeler and sled

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Brown jersey gloves. Cheap enough to carry a few incase a pair gets wet.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Amazon wool gloves with a few fingertips cut off. $15 or so. Difficult to wash effectively. They get smelly. But warm, and I can tie knots easily.

Strike Second Skin. Waterproof. Surprisingly warm for how thin they are. Pricey. Hooks like to stick in them. Forget about handling a treble hook bait with gloves on.

Striker Combat. New addition for me. Super warm. Pricey. I can see these lasting for many years, however. Way better than the Striker Climate, which had cracking palms after two seasons and were not nearly as warm as what the Thinsulate ratings would suggest.

And my personal secret trick: use non-latex medical gloves. They keep the hands dry and free from wind. Sometimes that’s all you need.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

And my personal secret trick: use non-latex medical gloves. They keep the hands dry and free from wind. Sometimes that’s all you need.

This. Go to northern tool and get the thick latex mechanics gloves. You can wear them under anything. Keeping your hands dry is key.

bryan t
    Montana

I have used the latex gloves in black. They seem to absorb some heat from the sun and stay a little warmer. I like the Jersey glove idea for an outer layer.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bass Thumb wrote:</div>

This. Go to northern tool and get the thick latex mechanics gloves. You can wear them under anything. Keeping your hands dry is key.

I do that at work. Working outside in the winter with water. Keeps the hands dry when my gloves are damp

Andrew Pansch

I think this is a really tough question. My skin doesn’t tolerate water well and dries out very fast. I also get cold fast. So I use hand warmers and a variety of different gloves. Mainly I keep my hands dry as best I can. The best thing is to try different types because like most things each person is different. I have some under armor hunting gloves that I love and also have some special water proof ones I can’t remember the name of that work awesome as long as I keep them warm enough from freezing. They’re thin but very warm.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

For whatever reason I’m a mental midget when it comes to reeling in a fish or shooting a gun with gloves on. Just cant do it. I’m a huge fan of the ice armour jackets because their hand pockets are so incredibly warm. Highly recommend. Will bring a few non-latex gloves home from work to see if those are any different though. Decent idea for avoiding the hand to get wet when a fish comes up or grabbing minnows

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

There is no perfect glove for all situations, but over all my years fishing here are the best that I’ve encountered for heavy, medium and light weight gloves. (Sorry, they aren’t the cheap ones)

Heavy gloves (aka gloves for driving your ATV/sled miles across a lake gloves) – hands down the new Striker combat gloves. Nothing else is close.

Medium weight – Sitka hunting gloves

Lightweight – Cabelas windstopper. Light enough to fish with and waterproof enough to handle fish with soaking the gloves. Single layer so they are easy to take on and off with damp hands. Very very good gloves.

Will

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

A pair of choppers, hows that!
    Seriously. I haven’t found a pair of gloves that have worked for me with keeping my fingers warm or giving me the dexterity.
    Choppers work well because they keep my hands warm and they are easy on an off.

However, I would give a $1,000.000.00 for a pair of gloves that would work for me.
    There was a post a year ago on some type of salmon fisherman gloves, but the company ran out of inventory and never offered them again.

IceHawk
    Richmond mn

Have to give the latex gloves trick a try. but for me green millatary liners are my go to if I fish with gloves.

I live and die by my leather choppers. I mostly fish bare handed outside and use a set of loose fitting choppers with a wool liner to warm up.

I also use and recommend Joka gloves and Mitts. HT re-markets a version. It’s not a cure all, but the rubberized products are great for ice fishing. The wet grip on these is outstanding.

al-wichman
    SE Wisconsin

I’m with Eel on this one. I can’t find any that really work for me. So it’s either big ol choppers or bare hands with one always tucked in my bibs.

Jake
    Brainerd

Simms guide windbloc foldover mitt are my favorite so far. Good for 80% of what I do. Has a little pouch that holds a hand warmer against your wrist. Nice little feature for the colder days.

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

I still have and use my old Sno Suit gauntlet gloves. They’re warm easy on and off and waterproof and I wear them running the quad. But the Striker Combat gloves deserve a look from me for sure. I’m always trying new gloves trying to find the ultimate do everything glove for ice fishing. Personally my main concern is warmth,easy on/off and waterproof. I tried the second skinz gloves from Striker which are nice but if your hands are wet and real cold it’s a bitch to get it back on.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

I always struggle with cold finger tips. I haven’t found the perfect solution yet, but this works decent for me.

Bought a nice pair of snowmobile gloves that I wear while setting everything up. Then while fishing outside the shack, I usually don’t wear any gloves… I’ve found that I can keep my hands warmer by putting one of those hot packs in my pockets of my striker ice suit and just holding onto it with my bare hands in the lined pocket. The downfall is that about every 2 minutes I am switching back and forth between fishing left handed and right handed as one hand is in the pocket and one hand on the pole. I’ve tried a lot of different gloves, and I always eventually end up with painfully numb finger tips.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

I wear cotton Jersey gloves with the finger tips cut off that work for most days and have a pair of leather chopper mittens with hand knit wool liners for when it’s real cold.

Aaron Kalberer

My hands get cold easy (soft keyboard hands) I run large chop mitts for everything, that way when I need my hands I can just flick my wrist and they come off. It works great for hunting and fishing. When a fish comes in on the vex, I whip them off to work the fish. I like the black latex glove idea and will be adding those under my mitts from now on!

tswoboda

I’ve tried way too many ice fishing gloves, and still haven’t found one I really like. I’ve found a few work gloves that are great though. They are all around $20 or less, super durable, and out perform any “ice fishing gloves” I’ve ever had.

Showa Atlas 460 (orange pvc insulated) for general use while fishing. 100% waterproof and warm to around zero degrees. Easy on/off and I can unhook most panfish with these on. Very stylish and virtually impossible to lose jester These gloves are most well known and popular for commercial fishermen in AK. I originally picked them up to fillet fish on the ice at -20, and it didn’t take long to figure out they can do a lot more than that.

Kinco 901 (pigskin leather) for drilling holes, setting up, and used while fishing below zero temps. Less dexterous and less waterproof than the Showa 460 but warmer and more durable. I’ve had 1 pair for almost 10 years and with a yearly snoseal bath they still look and perform like new. These gloves are popular among ski patrol and lifties.

Military surplus N4B mitts with quilted and wool liners for long snowmobile rides in super cold weather. These are basically sleeping bags for your hands. Virtually no dexterity, but I think it’s impossible to get cold hands in any temp with these.

Attachments:
    1. n4b.jpg

2. SHOWA-460-DataSheet-Americas-en.jpg

3. 901.jpg

Phil

Seirus All Weather Gloves have been my favorite outside of extreme cold situations. Then throw on a handwarmer pouch/muff

Neal Keeling

My go to is a good deer skin glove. Once broken in, they conform to your hand and offer great dexterity. And are still warm even when wet. Only drawback is that when you wear them wet for extended periods your hands turn a little orange.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

The latex gloves under any decent glove/mitten is key – make sure it’s a glove/mitten the liners don’t slide out of easily. You can land fish, re-tie, etc with just the latex gloves on. Keeping your hands dry and out of the wind is what matters. The black gloves do seem better but get the thickest latex you can otherwise it rips.

I use thin North Face gloves when it’s cool and then Striker Climate gloves when it’s colder. A lot of times it’s the heavier glove on the reel handle and lighter on the rod. Latex gloves underneath.

Loren I Duerr

I cannot find a pair of icefishing gloves big enough for my hands. The 2x and 3x gloves made in china or whatever country they are made must have very small hands. Sorry venting It would be nice to find water resistant gloves I could wear.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.