bersa thunder 380

• nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Really liking this for first handgun. CC mainly. Any concerns? Any other in the 380 caliber to check out around $300? Not interested in the LCPs, those things are tiny. Also not interested in other calibers. wave

Haven’t shot to many handguns but do know the more straight style stock or handle part is what I prefer. Not familiar with any brands well enough in the gun world nor would know the difference in quality to take notice.

Thanks for any ideas.

Regularpaul

My ccw is a bersa thunder as well. I really like it a lot. Very reliable, accurate, unsung little gun.

Is yours the standard thunder or the carry model?

Gotta brag, I bought mine 7 or 8 years ago brand new for $210 before small gun craze started )

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Haven’t got it yet, nor handled it. Most likely the CC model.

Don’t want to make a big deal of the feel. I know that’s sinful as I would say the same about picking out a new rod but it’s the first one, it’s a smaller caliber so any kickback shouldn’t be too bad, got to start somewhere and it looks to be a good place to start. Plus I always wanted to be James Bond in a way grin

Good to hear you like it. Thanks for feedback.

Regularpaul

I always wanted to be Bond too actually ) and according to the gun guys online, in most ways it’s a superior gun to the Walther.

CC model looks quite different from the standard. They trimmed off a lot of bulk and rounded all the edges. Never held one so can’t say anything about it.

Don’t understate feel, even with a “small” gun like this. Even though it’s a small caliber, a short barrel like this will have pretty snappy, sharp recoil and you’re gonna appreciate feeling like you have a solid grip on it.

Follow up when you get it with a pic and your first impression!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

The Bersa Thunder in .380 below.

As an owner of a Keltec .380 (I don’t recommend them btw) I will say how it fits in your hand is a big deal.

Depending on the ammo, the checkering in the grip actually stings. Small guns are harder to control on discharge and it’s this movement that not only stings, but slows the second shot.

Your milage may vary.

Attachments:
    1. bersahand.jpg

2. Bersa_Thunder_32.jpg

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I’ll add that I haven’t handled a Bersa, so keep that in mind.

Size is important. The only reason for a handgun to be built like a Keltec or a Bersa is for self protection. Then only if your in a fight in a phone booth.

If I was to do it over again, (and I still might) I would go with a .380 that I can put a laser on. Reasoning? If I would ever need it, I would want to fire before my arm is extended. Just above waist high.

Aiming this type of gun is a waste of time.

But again, I’m talking about what fits for me and that might not even be close for what you’re planning.

Attachments:
    1. Keltec-in-hand.jpg

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Good stuff. Ill make sure to find one locally and get off a few rounds.

404 ERROR
    MN

I have shot the Bersa a few times and it was smooth and reliable. When the Bersa models first came out, they were heavily scrutinized as being cheap and unreliable guns. Now those folks who made those statements are biting their tongue and not saying a word about them. For me, the hammer and safety are whats kept me from putting one in my safe, let alone my waistband.

That being said, the Kahr CT380 and CW380, IMO are better guns for CCW. The price is comparable to the Bersa and the gun is 100% American made. Smooth trigger, incredibly accurate and the warranty Kahr firearms have are outstanding. Opinions on guns are just that, opinions. What fits for one person, maybe not fit for another.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

What’s wrong with the hammer and safety?
    It’ll be holstered 100% of the time. Only time I’ll carry is fishing. I climb and walk around alot. So it’ll get banged around quite a bit, you saying I have a chance blowing off the boys? Free, but painful birth control I guess smash

404 ERROR
    MN

What’s wrong with the hammer and safety?

Nothing except two extra things to get hung up on when drawing. Not saying it will happen, but it wont hang up on a hammer if it doesn’t have it…Just an opinion.

I have my share of hammer fired guns, but I don’t carry them.

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

in a life threatening situation you don’t want the gun to go click and then you cuss cause you forgot to take the safety off and now your dead

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Good point and I appreciate the info.

It would be getting pulled from under jacket or bibs mainly early spring and late fall fishing when I do most shore stuff.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

in a life threatening situation you don’t want the gun to go click and then you cuss cause you forgot to take the safety off and now your dead

Well at least I’d have it on me when needed whistling jester

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I’m going to one up that.

Bill’s Gun Range. Timed shoot with moving targets. Five different scenarios.
    I was smirking at the people that forgot to put a round in the chamber at the start of one of the rounds. CLICK! Then scrambling to load a round in and get the prescribed shots fired.

I was amazed how dimming the lights and having red and blue lights flashing along with a timed event shook a person up. Yes it was just target practice but it made the adrenaline flow. Something I wasn’t use to at a firing range.

So when my Glock went CLICK I said “damnit” and cycled the receiver to get a round in the chamber….then it went CLICK AGAIN!

I didn’t put the mag in.

My point here is that less is more when you’re in a bad situation….except when it comes to practicing.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

my main comments are how well Brian and Merican have said it.

I don’t worry about a hammer on the draw. I do believe in keep it simple stupid. As Brian pointed out how easy it is to get dumber, now imagine under truly serious stress.

Many hammer guns are double action/single action. Is there anything wrong with that, no. Just you have to be able to use that proficiently where it’s easier to become proficient on something where every trigger pull is the same.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Very interesting. I would’ve thought the safety would be a bonus but the more people I talk to that carry don’t want a safety on it.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.