Berkley gulp 1" minnow vs. live minnow for crappies

• C. Steele
    Participant

Hey guys, got a question to throw out there. Im rigging my gear for another day on the ice this weekend and im thinking of trying my Gulp minnows on a lindy slick jig. anyone have any experience with the gulp minnows? I guess ill give it a try and see what happens. been a tough bite here in Michigan so far.

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

Gulp minnows have been good to me during ice season. Not sure if I’d say they are better than real minnows but they work.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

I can’t comment on any experience solely related to ice fishing but in the spring I often do just as well using gulp minnows compared to real ones. Plus they are way more durable and don’t have to be kept “alive.”

C. Steele
    Participant

I figure ill give them a shot and see what happens. I will reply again with info on how they work for me. as we all know, every day is a different day and crappies (or “specks” as we call them in Michigan) are very fickle.

robby
    Participant
    Quad Cities

Gulp minnows have been good to me during ice season. Not sure if I’d say they are better than real minnows but they work.

Yes, this!!

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

I have more confidence in them than live bait. Bret Clark taught me a couple tricks that make a huge difference. Be creative in how you hook them and vary how you work them. Some days wiggle, some days falling, some days spiraling fall, and some days swimming up.

C. Steele
    Participant

I have more confidence in them than live bait. Bret Clark taught me a couple tricks that make a huge difference. Be creative in how you hook them and vary how you work them. Some days wiggle, some days falling, some days spiraling fall, and some days swimming up.

Thanks for the info Randy. ill keep an open mind and not get discouraged too quickly.

Mike m
    Participant

I haven’t tried them ice fishing , but summertime on the Mississippi River the big gills love them .

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

I figure ill give them a shot and see what happens. I will reply again with info on how they work for me. as we all know, every day is a different day and crappies (or “specks” as we call them in Michigan) are very fickle.

Gawd I haven’t heard that in a long time! I grew up in Michigan and was 10 or 11 the first time I heard them called crappies by a family that moved from the south. Do they still call grouse pat?

milemark_714
    Participant

X2.Plus I take the jars they come in,and dump the contents into whizz sample jars.They don’t leak like the factory gulp jars can.

Also don’t be afraid of using the larger sizes through the ice,walleye/sauger do like them.

Mark Wilson
    Participant

Can you provide which (brand/ size) sample jars you use?

I’m a big fan of the 1” gulp minnow, but I’m tired of the jars constantly leaking.

Driftless Bowhunter
    Participant
    Stoughton, WI

I’m a big fan of the 1” gulp minnow, but I’m tired of the jars constantly leaking.

Mark, get these containers from REI, and you will never have that problem again and they are very cheap (as in price). I just picked this size off their website, they come in a size smaller.
    https://www.rei.com/product/402056/nalgene-polyethylene-bottle-2-fl-oz

Mark Wilson
    Participant

Thanks! I’m stopping at REI on the way home today. I use the Gulp minnows all year long, and I’ve had so much trouble with the Berkley Jars.

Chad McDonald
    Participant

I rip the head off and put it on a tungsten or a small jig head. They work great for crappie and an occasional walleye. I really like them on colder days when the bite is hot, so you don’t have to keep tinkering with wet minnows.

Rick Janssen
    Participant

I use them all year long and have great luck. Just Monday I was fishing for perch and had a live minnow down one hole and my Gulp minnow on jigging. I did catch more on the Gulp minnow but the biggest ones came on the live minnow. I use them even more in the summer when it is harder to keep live minnows, just go with the Gulp full time then.

eyeguy507
    Participant
    SE MN

Man I got to fish where you guys are fishing. I don’t think I have got bit one time! I carry a container of them in my boat and just have zero confidence in them working I guess.
    I don’t see why they wouldn’t work strapped on a slick jig, especially just a tail end thru the hook. Good luck, I am interested how you do.

KwickStick
    Participant
    At the intersection of Pools 6 & 7

There’s a pool behind culvert between a couple lakes where the bluegills are fished hard by a few old timers and kids. You can see the fish, so it’s a fun little testing ground for seeing what jigs or other artificials will attract them. Usually they will quickly turn off to most everything. The first time I tried a Gulp Alive minnow they not only attacked it, they tried to eat it like a worm when I let it stay still. Felt like I violated an arms treaty using it.
    coffee

Netguy
    Participant
    Minnetonka

Nalgene bottles X 2

milemark_714
    Participant

I have the 4oz size,freebies from the clinic.Perks for having to do pizz tests for work.These are big enough that you could put the gulp jar inside if you wanted.I just mix them up(different colors)and have a tweezer to pluck them out.Gulp juice can get messy.

C. Steele
    Participant

Man, Thank you all for your inputs. Ill be on the ice Saturday and ill give them a go and let you guys know how I do. I have more confidence just by having this conversation between us all.

C. Steele
    Participant

Never heard of grouse called Pats, but im not much of a bird hunter. the monkeybutts usually just scare the hell out of me when they fly off as im walking to my bow stand haha

Bass Thumb
    Participant
    Royalton, MN

They’re great when jigging with a 4-5mm long-shank tungsten jig, but it’s hard for anything to replace a deadstick crappie minnow. I often have both down.

I place the Gulp contents in a baby food or minced garlic jar. Be cautious if you use the garlic jars, because if you don’t wash them repeatedly, they’ll continue to stink like garlic. They’re great jars because of the wide opening and they’re wider than they are tall.

I’m a little surprised that Berkley hasn’t improved the quality of these jars after all these years.

Rackbuster
    Participant
    Spicer MN

I’ve had greats success using the clam plastics for crappies really it’s all I use now is just plastics, you don’t half to worry about live minnows or the juice spilling all over from the gulp jars.

C. Steele
    Participant

well, ill be honest. i spent the weekend on the ice and didnt trust the gulps to really give them the legitimate shot they deserved. walked off the ice with some good gills and had a wonderful dinner with the wife, but nothing on the gulps.
    i was shy and didnt put in the effort. my fault.

Bluegill89
    Participant

They’ve always worked great for me. I keep the jars in a Mason Jar (canning jar) to prevent leaking.

eyeguy507
    Participant
    SE MN

I tried real ones today. Not one bite…..it’s fishing! I’ll hit it hard next time.

BackwaterICE
    Participant

put an oring under the lid

C. Steele
    Participant

So i finally gave the gulp a good try tonight. Im in Michigan so i was trying to fish the tail end of the storm going through. Snow was falling but winding down when we got on the ice 1 1/2 hours before dark and we stayed until almost 8. By then the stars were out and the almost full moon shining. We stayed and fished it out but i knew the night was over with. I had 4 bites in however many hours. But…about the gulp minnows. I tried them two different ways..one nose hooked off the treble of a swedish pimple, and tore the head off of another and had it hooked on a white glow ratfinkee. The bite was so slow…but on the ratfinkee and gulp I had one really good crappie bite and of course I missed it being so sudden. Had fish stacked on the graph…but they didnt want anything. Gave the gulps a try…and they deserve a second chance, in my opinion.

Chad McDonald
    Participant

I use the 2.5”, I’ll rip a bit of the head off at times but I agree with some here. I will 100% take them over live minnows. Caught a few random walleye on them but mainly I use them when going for crappies and they work wonders when paired with a 1/16th oz jig head.

Netguy
    Participant
    Minnetonka

A friend of mine catches sunfish, crappies, walleye, bass and northern on them in the summer.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.