2013 Wisconsin Tags

• Bob Schultz
    Participant
    Wausau,Wi

Anybody draw a tag? Word is people are getting them in the mail. I checked online and it says I didn’t draw. 6 points in Zone A.

Bob Schultz
    Participant
    Wausau,Wi

Online records apparently haven’t been updated yet. My tag came in the mail yesterday.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Good luck!! Got any bruisers you’ve been watching?

Bob Schultz
    Participant
    Wausau,Wi

Unfortunately no. We run dogs and the area we run in has gotten thinned back pretty bad the last few years. If the bears behave and don’t get crabby with the dogs, they might all get free passes this year.

whittsend
    Participant

I drew!!

Zone C – 4 years after my last successful hunt!!

waterswat
    Participant
    WI

Hi all, I don’t post much, but I drew zone C also. Kind of surprised with 4 points. Now time to figure out how to do this. Anyone have suggestions for where to get bait or any advice at all is appreciated. Im a true rookie at this, but looking forward to trying this. Thanks for any help! Im gonna need it.

whittsend
    Participant

Lots of help – search some of the old posts…. Sorry, no time for me to post more… But there are some old pro’s here with baiting tutorial posts — good info!!!

Where will you be hunting in zone C??

Good luck, and post lots of trail cam pics about your progress!!

waterswat
    Participant
    WI

Where I will be hunting is still unknown. I am familiar with Jackson county so am going to try and focus on finding something there. Anyones info is much appreciated!

mbenson
    Participant
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

bearplotts:

I didn’t draw, but probably wouldn’t do so right away as I am not sure of my status location short term or even long term…

whitsend, glad to see you got a tag, but am really surprised you drew so fast!!! Must be such that there aren’t as many people applying…

I got some friends who have already shot bear south of the BRF area… Nice ones too!!!

As for baiting, here’s da short story. Get a log, preferably hollow and grab a shovel and stick it in the ground in a likely spot. You can start baiting as early as April 15, but you need to have bait to do so. Once you locate bait, you can bait as much as you like, but it seems typical to bait twice a week until the week before season.

Once baited, it needs to be covered so that no other animals can get at it. Stick a camera on it, bear proofed if you can, ’cause they like them too… trail cam pics of bear are absolutely the best!!!

Gotta run, more later…

Mark

Oh forgot, my best bud up here got one for “A” in six years, I think he told me…

whittsend
    Participant

Mark – Nice to hear from you… I was surprised I drew this year also. I believe that I’ve drawn two straight tags with 4 years of applications each… Pretty happy to draw. I did hear that zone C was increasing the number of tags this year, where some zones were decreasing, but I haven’t actually looked at the numbers on the DNR website yet.

I thought I’d have to wait another year at least, but was thrilled to get that permit notice in the mail on Wednesday. Since my 2009 rifle WI bear and my 2010 Newfoundland archery bear, I’m hoping to have some more good luck this year. – If so, that would make 3 bears in 4 years. Had a 200 then a 300… Maybe a 400 this year???? LOL! I’ll be dreaming about the opener all summer! We’ll see what happens! I was thinking of trying muzzleloader this fall just for kicks since I already have done bow/gun…. Bear hunting is a ton of fun – you are right, getting all of those bear pics on the trailcams is a huge thrill!…

Waterswat – With over 200,000 acres of public land in Jackson county, I’m sure you’ll find some bear. The state forests and county land should be good, and I would guess you won’t have a zillion other guys to contend with compared to up nort’ (but I could be wrong)… I know some guys around Tomah that have some land and some really nice bear (and wolves) coming around. I’m sure you could find some spots not too far from home and get some bait sites going. Not sure what is around Sparta or LAX, but I’d assume there are at least some bear all up and down the bluff country areas and the bigger woods wherever you can find some…

Jackson county land…

whittsend
    Participant

Waterswat –

As far as bait, I get mine at Vic’s in Cadott, but that’s not too far from me – quite a bit further for you… I’d imagine you can find bait closer to home, or go start hitting up bakeries and grocery markets for bread/pastries/dougnuts, etc…

waterswat
    Participant
    WI

Thanks for the info guys!

steve_white
    Participant
    St Germain, WI

Not surprised at all by drawing a tag in 4yrs in C. Huge increase in tags there. May change next year depending on harvest and numbers that apply. More folks are applying for that zone now. Being closer to home, and less points needed.

A is a bit surprising due to the cuts in tags in that zone. A lower number of applicants, and high permit numbers in years past I’m sure have helped that.

Odds of harvest are always high. At least if you do your home, and leg work.

I’m still a few years out but that dont matter. My tag always goes to a kid. Could care less to kill one. Just enjoy helping others be successful, and chasing them around. It’s all about enjoying being out there, and the dog work.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.