Bay ice thickness

• Tim J
    Participant
    Duluth, MN

Went down to park point today to walk the dog and ventured out on the ice a bit. There were two portables about 75 yards out. It looked like about 3″ of ice near shore just by moving some of the shoreline sheets around. Probably give it a try sometime next week.

Tim J
    Participant
    Duluth, MN

Also, found 6″ of ice on the east basin of Boulder Lake yesterday. Not much action though. Heard from the resort owner that the west side is still sketchy near the dam and public access.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Thanks for the updates, Tim. I really enjoy fishing the harbor area early ice. To be honest I’m surprised to hear there’s 3″ already given how warm it’s been. waytogo

Merry Christmas.

Allan Davis
    Participant
    Carlton, MN

Yah this weekend there has been a few houses out there. The houses are sitting in 5-10FOW on the flats. The shipping lane is still open. The shipping season is over at the end of the year. Be safe out there that area changes day to day. Good luck I hear its a good bite during low light. Stay on the dry side of the ice and keep your rods bent.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Yah this weekend there has been a few houses out there. The houses are sitting in 5-10FOW on the flats. The shipping lane is still open. The shipping season is over at the end of the year. Be safe out there that area changes day to day. Good luck I hear its a good bite during low light. Stay on the dry side of the ice and keep your rods bent.

I appreciate the follow up info. I was up in Cloquet over the holiday and had hoped to at least stop down to the harbor to check the ice but obligations kept me tied up. waytogo

Allan Davis
    Participant
    Carlton, MN

Hey if your in the cloquet area and want to get out fishing let me know. Not now though wait for ice or open water lol.

Tim J
    Participant
    Duluth, MN

Well I’m out here in front of the airport and sitting on almost 5 inches of pretty solid ice. Marked quite a few fish from about 330 to 4 but no takers. Probably give it a little longer and then call it quits. Maybe try again tomorrow night.

Allan Davis
    Participant
    Carlton, MN

Its tough out there because the water is dirty from the fall rain. Try loud vibrating baits. Also big suckers under bobbers. you need movement down there.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Hey if your in the cloquet area and want to get out fishing let me know. Not now though wait for ice or open water lol.

Sorry, I missed this earlier. I’m usually looking for someone willing to sneak out on the ice during the holidays when I’m up visiting the inlaws. In the future I’ll take you up on the offer.

Allan Davis
    Participant
    Carlton, MN

I still haven’t been out fishing there, but there is about 6 inches of ice out there most of the fishing is done down by the last landing on park point. They are fishing in about 8 feet and they are picking up more bonus sturgeon. Walleyes have slowed a little bit but some nice fish being caught. Might make it out Tuesday. Good luck out there and be safe.

Kaylor Tumberg
    Participant
    esko

At idea in the ice thickness now?

muskeye
    Participant
    Duluth, Mn

No first hand knowledge, but I have been hearing of atvs and snowmobiles driving out there.

Allan Davis
    Participant
    Carlton, MN

There were small cars and suv out there this weekend I wasn’t out so I don’t know.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.