Pool #9 bass

• TACKET
    NE Iowa

What’s happened to the bass in this pool? Used to be the best place to fish for bass, but has really stunk all summer long. Terrible results for me after years and years of 100 plus bass days here. What’s going on?

oldrat
    Upper Midwest

well every pool has to have ups and downs.. what a lot of guys don’t know is that the old LaCrosse Bassmasters released over 100,000 bass into that pool back in the 1980’s.. these were 6 inch plus bass that were raised at Genoa..

it wasn’t the intention to release them into the river.. but that’s where they ended up..

its too bad that they didn’t dump them into Castle Rock or Pettenwell.. or Neshonoc.. or some place that needed the fish.

but I haven’t heard that the water quality was bad or even poor..

its just a down cycle for the pool..

however other pools are doing quite well.

bosman
    DeSoto, WI

Quote:

What’s happened to the bass in this pool? Used to be the best place to fish for bass, but has really stunk all summer long. Terrible results for me after years and years of 100 plus bass days here. What’s going on?

I know of three different reputable guides on Pool 9 that have been on smallies and/or the large mouth variety pretty much all summer long. These fellas have the plugs in far more than they do out to keep on the fish which is a significant factor.

One influence we’ve seen this summer is the dredging taking place on the lower west side of Pool 8. This has really stained the water down the west side, including the MN slough and Big slough (two popular bass summer hideouts). However the east side of the river has been very clear. Clear to such a degree, sight fishing is very much in play in some of the shallows.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

or Neshonoc.. or some place that needed the fish.

Why go ruin a good thing by putting more Bass on Neshonoc

I read a good article the other day that made good since. Allot of us tend to hit the same water year after year because that is where the fish were other years. Sometimes there can be changes to the honey holes which can not be seen by are eyes but the change is enough to make fish relocate.
    My favorite area to fish Bass on Pool 8 this year has only revealed maybe six fish all season Moving out and lookin’ for new water did put the boat back into some hungry green fish.

Not the answer you were looking for I’m sure but, just something for you to think about.

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Not having any trouble on 9 this year. I don’t fish MN slough much though.

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

They are all transported to pool 8 with all the tourneys out of LaCrosee, Thanks for all the bass every weekend

duckilr
    Mississippi River

Quote:

They are all transported to pool 8 with all the tourneys out of LaCrosee, Thanks for all the bass every weekend

Not hardly

mountain man
    Coon Valley, WI.

Two 4 -5 day a week walleye fisherman friends of mine say the smallies are big and biting???

duckilr
    Mississippi River

Quote:

Two 4 -5 day a week walleye fisherman friends of mine say the smallies are big and biting???

NO, all of the big smallies are now in Pool 8 from all the Lacrosse tourneys!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.