Where’d that thread go:

• TACKET
    NE Iowa

That pitbull had with all those bass he cut-up? Told my buddy about it and he couldn’t believe that some one was stupid enough to do something like that.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I am pretty sure it got the ax but I do not know for sure

pitbull
    Too far from the river

Quote:

That pitbull had with all those bass he cut-up? Told my buddy about it and he couldn’t believe that some one was stupid enough to do something like that.

about as stupid as you asking, where the thread went!

TACKET
    NE Iowa

Sorry dude, he didn’t believe me and looked on here and it was GONE. I guess people don’t want to see your cut-up bass pictures on a bass forum…….Get the hint or do I need to spell it out better for ya?

pitbull
    Too far from the river

It was bass “harvested” from a farm pond…what’s the big deal…if it was from the river..then i’d be pissed!

Hint, hint…use spell check next time!

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Quote:

if it was from the river..then i’d be pissed!

i don’t mean to start a fight. I personally don’t really care that much, have as many bass parties with fried potatoes, onions on the grill as you want!!
    however I do not understand how it makes a difference what body of water the fish were caught on. I personally don’t want to see a bunch of dead, cut up, bleeding/bloody, mutilated, degraded and disrespected fish on the internet, just as much as I prefer not to see people’s cut up deer, walleye, or panfish pictures! people weren’t pissed about the eating. Its a part of life and reality. But nobody needs to see that imo.

basshundter
    La Crosse, WI

and you didn’t say that they were from a farm pond until later on in the thread after everybody bitched you out.

birdman
    Lancaster, WI

Personally, I thought the other thread was kinda funny. I practice catch and release myself but don’t have a problem with those that keep them either. I think too many people get to excited whenever someone would dare keep a bass. I didn’t think the pictures were that bad. First we ban fillet shots, next thing we’ll start banning pictures of girls in bikinis.

I don’t know Pitbull, but I got a feeling bass fillets are not a part of his normal diet.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

nope I’ve never touched a fried bass. I have filleted them before though. I don’t like killing bass and really don’t particularly care for killing anything, but I, as well as many others are especially sensitive to seeing bass killed. It happens all the time, I’ve learned not to let it bother me so much because I try to keep it real, and believing that hundreds of bass aren’t killed on pool 8 everyday is just living a dream. my point was that posting the pictures when it is blatantly obvious that you would get a negative reaction, is just silly and un-necessary. And yes, I do think dead fish guts and fillets are gross. And in no way are they comparable to girls in bikkinis…

again, I already stated before I wasn’t looking for another argument. I felt that if one has the right to post those pictures in the open, then I have the right to post my opinion about said pictures, too.

I must say, this “stirring of the pot” has contributed to keeping the bass forum quite lonely lately..

gary_wellman
    South Metro

It is all “cosmetic”.
    Yea, Pitbull stirred the pot, in what I believe to be just some “ribbing”.
    However, there are no laws stating you cannot eat bass.
    With that said, I think we don’t need any “elitist” jumping in on him after my post, do we???

Thanks!

stuart
    Mn.

It didn’t bother me near as much as the pics of all the floaters after one of the river tournaments last year.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Too bad they couldn’t have posted pictures of the 406 harvested bass the Nelson Lake Walleye people caught and slaughtered to help grow the walleye population in the lake.

or of all the walleye/sauger floaters we see south of the dams every year in the spring.

willie boy
    Cornhusker Central ... HELP!

that thread was an obvious ‘trolling’ moment…based on the omitted information, which forum it was on and the photos it was definitely meant to stir the pot…which it successfully did.

Now that some of the hackles have lain back down, it was kind of ‘cute’…but definitely in an insensitive, sledge hammer kind of way…no finesse there at all.

Count me as one of ‘those’ that prefer not to kill unless I need to. Do I enjoy eating fish? Absolutely…but the real joy for me is the catching…and I must say, releasing is a big kick too…in fact, the bigger the fish the happier it makes me to let it go…(I always always always keep a camera in the boat…and occasionally I even get to use it)…

Bass filets are tasty…but I’d suggest them grilled, not fried. Fried fish isn’t that much different than fried Zucchini in my mind…

Some of the background issues are these: those fish in the water help generate a lot of monies spent in a community (gas, tackle, lodging, restaurants, ice, sodas etc) and are a lot more valuable ‘in the water’ than passing through someone’s gut on the way to the sewer…meaning that any effort to assist in the maintenance of healthy populations with opportunities at large fish has best chance of ‘pay-back’…

I always thought of it this way: as a business person I’m interested not only in ‘this sale’ but more important, repeat business. The parallel is this: a fish on a stringer only makes one person happy…while in the water, there’s a better chance for repeat business…

Still, and importantly, harvest IS legal AND eating one’s catch is absolutely another way to ‘show respect’ for the resource…face it, it’s a resource with multiple users…

For example, I really don’t see the value in ‘weight’ tournaments unless there’s significant coinage on the line…I believe measure/card tournaments are ‘better’ on the fish and populations…but that’s my opinon and probably not the most popular at that…

howler
    bagley wi.

There is a lot of bass lovers out there

BomberA

Does this mean that dead deer pictures will now be deleted as well?

zombywuff
    Illinois

Here we go again! Same old chit…. different day!

BTW Cade….

Quote:

i don’t mean to start a fight.

You were a few posts short of starting the fight, you just jumped into the middle of it!

pitbull
    Too far from the river

Quote:

and you didn’t say that they were from a farm pond until later on in the thread after everybody bitched you out.

You always gotta throw your lil jab in don’t ya basshunter

Trust me when I say this…i’m not worried about getting bitched out

If you can’t stand to see the sight of carnage…..ya need to stay in the kitchen with mom

B.C.
    La Crosse, WI

I came here for the girls in bikinis.

basshundter
    La Crosse, WI

Pitbull, trust me, If i’m not fishing I’m hunting. I can take the carnage.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

BC, judging by the website pitbull listed on his profile, I think he can supply those pictures…

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

There is a strong case to be made for harvesting bass in situations where the DNR has declared promiscuous harvest. At least in these situations the fish get consumed rather then poisoned or froze out. And many situations exist where selective harvest of smaller fish for the frying pan makes good sense. Esp. on slot lakes and harvesting below the slot.

bassbaron
    eldridge, ia

Man, its like the wall street journal- “miss a day, you miss a lot”. I didnt see the post. Pit- you might have to email me a copy so i can see it. No matter how grossed out you all got rest assured its probably not as ugly or as vomit provoking as a pic of mr pitbull in a bikini! Ill leave you all with that visual.

SLee
    Crystal,MN

Now if a guy really wanted to see some “excitement”… one could take a pic of a big muskie under the fillet knife…and post it in the muskie forum.

What are the odds that would be a big hit?

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

Does this mean that dead deer pictures will now be deleted as well?

Nope but we do have guidelines for Deer Photos (see link below) and the same would hold true for cut up fish, like Gary said it had nothing to do with him eating Bass.

IDO Deer Photo Guidelines

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

I missed the post as well. Guess that’s what I get since I’ve been on the water 17 of the last 21 days. Which reminds me, I’m heading to Pool 4 tomorrow night for more fishing .

Anyway, those who get off by “stirring the pot” just love to see us argue. So, I have chosen (and continue to) not waste my time by adding my opinion on posts like this. I’d rather be studying lake and river maps.

Later dudes…

willie boy
    Cornhusker Central ... HELP!

Okay, now I’m wondering after reading the pic post requirements for deer…

1. Why? Assume it’s a respect thing AND not needing to lend ammo to the ELF/PETA folks…
    2. IF, why not a similar requirement for fish photos? Stuff like horizontal holds, stuff like that…
    3. IF I were to submit a photo of a bass I caught wearing sunglasses, cigarette in it’s mouth (can’t figure out how to put the beer can in cause they don’t have hands)…would it get posted?

While my delivery is suspect, there is a serious thread underlying the questions…is there a need for something like this?

For the record, the photos weren’t egregious…other than my sensibilities as a bass angler…or more important, my personal stake as a bass tournament angler (who’s winning$ depend on fish being there as opposed to ‘fileted’…) were challenged…

Guess I didn’t see the issue of conservation, legality or innapropriate…but certainly trampled on more than a few folks perceptions…

Is this something to discuss? or just let it go?

gary_wellman
    South Metro

It is all about common sense.
    The whole point of removing the pics of “in-process” fish filleting is no different than not posting pictures of open deer carcasses.
    It is about good taste that “US SPORTSMAN AND SPORTSWOMEN” have.

Nobody is against fish consumption and nobody is against showing off your prize trophy of the day.

However, “we” do not want to see pictures on this site, with an animal getting butchered. It is poor taste, lacks respect of our game, and it isn’t sending out the right message to our youth.

What truly disappoints me, no…..it doesn’t dissapoint me me. It makes me sad……is the energy wasted on this thread and the “other” thread, when we could have been talking about good stuff, like “fishing”.

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

Quote:

It is all about common sense.
    The whole point of removing the pics of “in-process” fish filleting is no different than not posting pictures of open deer carcasses.
    It is about good taste that “US SPORTSMAN AND SPORTSWOMEN” have.

Nobody is against fish consumption and nobody is against showing off your prize trophy of the day.

However, “we” do not want to see pictures on this site, with an animal getting butchered. It is poor taste, lacks respect of our game, and it isn’t sending out the right message to our youth.

What truly disappoints me, no…..it doesn’t dissapoint me me. It makes me sad……is the energy wasted on this thread and the “other” thread, when we could have been talking about good stuff, like “fishing”.

Well said sir. The bass forum has not much to look at anymore for useful information.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.