Deep Cycle Batteies

• wrp5
    Participant

I was wondering if anyone has used the Die Hard Platinum Battery or the Odessey Battery for their bassboats? I have a 36 volt trolling motor. I have 2 two year old plain jane Die Hards now but was thinking about upgrading to these I mentioned. They cost alot, I was wondering if they were worth the money? Also do you need a special onboard battery charger that puts out enough amps to charge them?

castle-rock-clown
    Participant

I’ve heard good things about the die hard. I am a big believer in sealed AGM batteries and personally use the marine dual purpose AGMs from fleet farm. I’ve heard of failures with the optima blue, but good reviews with their red top series. As far as chargers a marine rater charger/maintainer/conditioner with a minimum 10 amps per battery will charge a drained deep cycle over night 10-12 hrs.

bluewing
    Participant
    North Iowa

Had the same issue last summer, which batteries to purchase?
    Did lots of research and ended up purchasing two of the Sears Platinum batteries.
    I also purchase a Sears platinum charger that was recommended to adequately charge the batteries .
    I like the fact the batteries are sealed and will not leak acid.
    Have not enough time since last August to weigh in on how well they will perform, so far so good, but time will tell.
    From what I found they are a good option to the typical lead acid battery at Walmart or Fleet Farm.
    They are expensive, but the estimated a life of 6-8 years could make them worth it.
    Guess it comes down to how much you want to spend.
    Just my option
    Hope others will chime in and help you out.

Ed

amundsonjon
    Participant
    wi

What ever you go with it is nice to purchase a battery that a place stocks on hand that way if you have problems you can exchange easily without having to wait. I went with everstarts non agm from walmart two year free replacement and almost every wall mart has them on stock. They have treated me well.

crawdaddy
    Participant
    St. Paul MN

I have heard good things about the die hard platinum deep cycle batteries from someone who has worked in the marine industry for many years. I haven’t tried them myself yet, but never forgot his words of advice, and if I ever spring for high end batteries, those would be the ones.

greg_r
    Participant
    Woodbury MN

The Sears Die Hard Platinum batteries are manufactured by EnerSys company. “ODYSSEY” Trolling Thunder both the same and IMHO the best brand on the market.

elk_addict
    Participant
    Northern IA/Lincoln Lakes Area

I have been using the Die Hard Platinum AGM batteries for 5 years. I use my transom mount trolling motor 60 days or more a year, the battery is 5 years old and still working great. In my opinion the extra money for these is well worth it. After 30 plus years of replacing batteries every 2-3 years I have wised up. Definetly invest in a good on board charger, I plug mine in for a day or two once a month through the winter. Hope this helps.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.