Upper Mississippi River SMB report – 2/9/2013

• kwp
    Participant
    Eden Prairie

Today we tried the upper Mississippi River as more of a scouting mission to see how it fishes in the middle of Winter. We have fished this same section in the Summer and were familiar with area.

Since we haven’t fished the Miss. before in the dead of Winter we brought up both sucker minnows and a wide assortment of plastics (of course, in various styles, sizes, and colors).

For a scouting mission, I would say the fishing far exceeded our expectations…We caught both quantity and quality of Smallmouth. Most we in the 14″ to 16″ range with still alot in 17″ to 18″ range; and 4 or 5 over 18″. Also, caught 3 nice Walleyes, a few largemouth, and a Northern. It has been a while since I felt the tap tap of a Walleye on plastics so it was nice to feel it again.

As for bait selection, sucker minnows might have gotten top bait honors but slowly presented plastics were a very close second. Next time, I think we will scrap the live bait and just go with plastics. Caught an equal number of large fish on both plastics and sucker minnows.

Steve Root
    Participant
    South St. Paul, MN

Mike W
    Participant
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Very nice.

smackemup
    Participant
    North Metro

WELL DONE SIR!

Joel Ballweg
    Participant
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

I’m impressed with the fish you caught.
    The walleyes don’t surprise me but we sure don’t see many smallmouth bass caught from open water in the dead of winter.
    Nice job!

stuart
    Participant
    Mn.

We have been having a riot up in that area this winter.Large suckers have been the bait for us.Saw a pic yesterday of a 5lb 13 oz smallie caught on a green tube from that area Friday! :wayto

Dave Ansell
    Participant
    Rushford, MN

Looks like an awesome trip

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Looks heavenly.

ms75449
    Participant
    Lake City, MN

Very cool. Thanks for sharing!

dbright
    Participant
    Cambridge

Sounds like you guys did better then me. I think i will leave the boat at home if i head out on a weekend again. Tough finding a spot to fish with all the waders. I would have a tough time pulling in and fishing the same spots with them. If you went up river from the discharge or stayed out in the main current they was a constant flow of ice.

fishingx90
    Participant

any whitebass showing?..gonna give it a try soon

jeknight
    Participant

People will disagree with me but the Mississippi River is still the most underfished in the whole USA. You will never know what you are going to catch and when. I have fished this river for 55 years.Some time it seams difficult to catch fish ,but for some reason fish always come back. Jerry

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Shhhhhhh………

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.