is it me or the river..

• smoke grub
    Participant

I am not whining. I fished today in that cold front. and yet we caught a pile of bass including my pb for the year. but I am not catching keepers. our best day so far has been 4 keepers.. 50 bass during the day.. but all sorts of fish in the 12-13 inch catagory. I am happy that even though the water has dropped close to 5 foot since I found this school of fish, my fish are still there.. just not keepers.

my good fish tonight would have pushed 4 lbs. but I am catching piles of square bass. because these fish are tanks. they are 12 long and 12 inch wide with bellys that make me look life barney fife.. if there was no size limit on the river, I would be catching limits within 5 casts.. on a 12 inch limit.. but it seems that 14’s are few and far between..

so I am asking is it me or is it what the river is doing right now. we left those fish today to look for other fish. it was shocking how much the river has dropped since the elite guys have left. its a totally different river. totally different. where there were current breaks and cuts are now dry land.. and a spot that I really thought would be a neat little point,, well its there.. but you have to go through no man’s land to get there..

I am not even venting. I am just asking is it me or just the river situation.. thanks for your response.

Mike Stephens
    Participant
    WI.

As conditions change you must also. Try a bigazz minnow in the wood, or a little deeper,If I was a fish I’d be seeking oxygen and cooler water now. I’m always amazed at the big bass that I catch bobber fishing for crappies and gills,close to current. Worst senario ; You can always have fun and try again. It’s all about fun

kwp
    Participant
    Eden Prairie

What river are you talking about and/or Pool no.??

smoke grub
    Participant

I am fishing pool 8 on the mississippi river. thanks for the responses so far. and yes I am having fun. when you can catch 50 bass in a small area.. yep that’s fun. but since we say that a “keeper” is 14 inches, some times you don’t feel that you are catching anything, if that makes sense..

wimwuen
    Participant
    LaCrosse, WI

I casted cranks on 8 for Walleyes tonight, I had 3 Smallies between 17 and 19. Smallies seemed to be everywhere I Walleye fished tonight. I had one or two others in that 14-15″ range, but all smallies.

Eyes were pretty spread out too.

dank
    Participant
    Minneapolis, MN

I was out there last week and had some real good luck through scumfrogs on the tops of the duck weed and algea. The fish where not in the nearby reeds and good loking weeds though. once we found a spot it was very fast action.

We did not get much throwing on the edges or in the wood.

ozzyky
    Participant
    On water

Sounds like you need to find a new “school” of fish. THey can group up by size. You got the 12’s dialed in. Relocate

smoke grub
    Participant

I am bringing in a punching expert this coming weekend..if he doesn’t catch them over 14 then , yes I am leaving them. but they have been there for quite some time. and I have never seen fish as wide and as fat as these fish are. gees this school should all be 15 inches by next spring. they are on anti nutrasystem. and they are phenomonally strong.
    baby Arnold’s…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.