not river bass

• louis-robinson
    dodge co. mn

Its been a wonderful time here in Cali…great to be back home. after a long awaited vacation
    I got out on my old friends rig Friday …our plan was fish the harbour and rock wall for sand bass and calico bass till the traditional afternoon winds calm down..got on the water at 3pm..covered a lot of area for little to nothing..I was getting a little worried as mike and my buddy Sebastian had a couple fish in the box..its been 15 years since I have touched the ocean…

Around the 10pm hour I started to get my groove after 6 hours of nothing..the harbour.bite picked up ….mostly small Johnny bass and smaller sandbass and sculpin so the call was hit the oil rigs just a few miles outside the gap..
    Throwing 3/4 to 1 oz weedless jighead with 4 inch gulp alive the bite was on…

With some experimental tactics big swim jigs pulled the big calico bass
    Man what a blast we had countless doubles And a triple for the night with well over 50 fish caught for the three of us with several 5 pounders caught and released..
    We called it a night around 2am sore thumbs and all a awesome night.
    it was such a blessing and wonderful time to take the familiy to my stomping grounds as i was a kid .. and to reconnect with old friends——————————————————————————–

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

I’ve been doing facebook too much lately… I started looking for the LIKE button.

Sounds awesome! For us landlocked Midwesterners, what are the fish in the pics?

louis-robinson
    dodge co. mn

Quote:

I’ve been doing facebook too much lately… I started looking for the LIKE button.

Sounds awesome! For us landlocked Midwesterners, what are the fish in the pics?

lol thanks..the second pic is a sandbass and calico bass..next pic after that one is the sculpin.. the spines on these fish are poisinous..but great eating fish..ya dont want to get poked by one.. next pic is a johnybass..then last is another calico

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Nice pics Louis, how do you go about cleaning that Sculpin….besides being dam careful.

louis-robinson
    dodge co. mn

Quote:

Nice pics Louis, how do you go about cleaning that Sculpin….besides being dam careful.

a good pair of gloves to start…when i worked on the sport boats years ago we would cut the dorsal fins off before going in the ” gunny sack”..for fish cleaning later on the ride in.. then fillet as you would a walleye…

ive been nailed by them a few times and its not fun..severe pain for about 8 hours

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.