Bass taken from are league tonight for testing

• mattgroff
    Participant

So last week we fished prior lake and a person contacted are league leader to say that he was from the Dnr and needed 30 fish samples for testing for vhs in the bass in prior lake. Sounded legit knowing years ago prior lake suffered a loss of a lot of big fish from some disease people said. So last week we gave this guy over 30 bass he was not in Dnr clothing nor a Dnr truck. He was in a trailblazer with fishing stickers and put the fish in a white trash bag and a old red cooler.
    Well tonight at lake Marion he showed up again and said he needed 20 samples well that meens 20 bass. Marion is not in great shape right now and this just doesn’t seem right. If the Dnr wanted samples for testing wouldn’t they send a person in a Dnr truck to keep the fish alive and well for testing tomorrow. Instead of a trash bag and a red cooler where they die in just a few minutes.
    Something seems odd to me and a couple guys are going to look into it tomorrow. Why waste 1 and 2 pound fish like that?

deertracker
    Participant

Sounds shady. Did someone grab the license plate?
    DT

basseyes
    Participant

Call the local CO. If he’s shady and stupid enough to try it again, the CO could be waiting in the weeds with bells on. That’s if the guy isn’t on the up and up. Seems a bit odd and particular?

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

Um, how did he contact them? No one questioned him before handing them over? I think it would be pretty easy to verify.

If it doesn’t check out, shame on the league.

That being said, I’d assume it was a biologist. I don’t think they have uniforms or vehicles. And if it was after work hours, that explains a lot.

As for putting them in a cooler, I don’t see an issue. They don’t need the fish alive.

Lastly, that would be a pretty brazen act to collect fish and be witnessed by a lot of people, not once, but twice. I’d be shocked if it were a poacher, but it’s still possible.

munchy
    Participant
    NULL

Did you get a license number? I’d be surprised if he didn’t give someone a business card. I’m just shocked no one spoke up and asked a few questions.

If it is a poacher that guy either has balls of steel or just VERY desperate.

mattgroff
    Participant

The guy that runs are league has his number. Apparently they blood test the fish and don’t need them alive. Well if that’s the case then why not just show up quick and take some samples and release the fish? Why kill 20 bass from Marion and over 30 from prior lake. Will see what the Dnr office says when they get called this am.

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

Good question! Maybe they take a lot of blood razz

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.