Bass fishing in Rochester

• Jack Patschull
    Participant
    Rochester mn

Anybody know 9f a decent spot to catch some smallness in Rochester? I can only shoreline fish as I don’t own a boat at this time. I’ve caught a bass in chesterwoods but by accident. What do the bass eat at Chesterwoods?

Doing some research on bassfishingandcatching.com

chirp
    Participant
    Rochester

You can find smallmouth bass along the Zumbro river. The river below the power dam has a lot of trophy size smallies. As far as Chesterwoods goes I’ve caught Largemouth on anything from spinnerbaits to small cranks. At dusk if you see them breaking the surface you can have a blast with poppers on the surface.

Brad Hak
    Participant

Besides lake zumbro and the zumbro river that is all you are going to find for smallmouth. The smallmouth fishing outside the damn is really a blast. Chester woods bass fishing is getting better every season, flipping soft plastics like a brush hog always seems to produce. Cascade lake and the others attached to it on second street are also good bass producers

Jack Patschull
    Participant
    Rochester mn

Awesome. Thanks for the info chirp. Am I looking for spawning pools for bass on chesterwoods or just free casting in the up coming spring season? Just picked up my annual pass so I plan on fishing there as often as I can. Mainly for panfish fish to keep the little guy occupied.

Is thereally easy access to the zumbro river below the damn for shoreline fishing?

Jack Patschull
    Participant
    Rochester mn

Any particular color, size, brand of brush hog you use Brad? Do you let brush hog lures drag on the bottom as you reel it in?

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Chirp, where would I go to shore fish below the power dam? I went there for the first time last fall and everything was all shut down for the season. Not sure if Macs would let the public shore fish? We ended up making a few casts down by the bridge/public landing but it wasnt more than a foot deep. Do I need a canoe to get up into that fishing beneath the dam?
    Thanks

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Mac’s is the pits. If there is anyone around to take your daily fee, I hear its $20.00.

You can go downstream by car until you hit Co. Rd. 9 where the green bridge is at and work the river back towards the dam by wading if the turbines aren’t working. Or if you have a canoe. You could always run to Zumbro Falls, rent the canoe and they’ll drop you at the dam and you paddle back to the Falls. Lots of great fishing on that run. Its a safe run for kids and women too.

The Wabasha area offers some nice bassing along the dike road between Wabasha and Nelson, Wisconsin, fishing on the upstream side of the road

, between the first cement bridge and the second cement bridge. Walk the rocks and cast to the weeds. Some huge pike are known to play in that same stretch. Top water and frogs are good. Spinner baits get the bass and pike too.

munchy
    Participant
    NULL

How’s the Zumbro between the public access at 7 and the dam for a smaller 16′ with a 50hp? I’d think it would be pretty fun if you could at least putt up to the dam and drift back.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

That would be a no go

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

They cyclewater discharge thru the dam to generate electricity. The water levels fluctuate greatly and even with higher levels you’d find it way shallow and moving very fast. A canoe is doable, maybe even a shallow draft Jon using a push pole. An outboard would be folly at best.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.