Bass Fishing In Big Pine

• Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

I see from the DNR survey there are LMB and SMB in the lake, but they don’t even garner a mention in the notes. I’m in a bass club out of Brainerd, and we have fished Rush just down the road a few times over the years. It looks to me like it would be every bit as good as Rush, or is it a dud for bass?

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Which Big Pine Lake we talking about. What town is it the closest to? Lots of Big Pine lakes here in Minnesota. If it is the one in Aitkin County near the city of Cutler. Here is what the DNR survey from 2021 had to say:

The Largemouth Bass catch rate was 2.5/net in 2021 and has been stable at about that level for the last 20 years. The mean length of Largemouth Bass was 11.6 inches with individuals up to 15.1 inches. Electrofishing for Largemouth Bass was also completed in 2021 and yielded a catch rate of 66/hour, which indicates good abundance. The size structure matched what was observed in the gill nets. A previous electrofishing survey in 2002 had similar results (68/hour) further indicating a stable population. Smallmouth Bass are known to be present in small numbers in Big Pine Lake, however few have been observed in traditional sampling gear, and only one was observed from a trap net in 2021. Several juvenile Smallmouth Bass were also observed in the nearshore assessment (see the 7/06/2021 Targeted Assessment).

It looks to have decent #’s of fish in the 12-14″ range with a few in the 15-19″ range. Only 1 SM bass was shown in the survey. It does look to have some good looking structure with some nice looking points and some humps. From the data and the map, It looks to me like it would be a good tourney lake to fish

blank

I think he’s talking about the Big Pine by Perham, since he mentioned Rush and the post is in the Ottertail forum section.
    I have no idea on how the bass fishing is on the lake.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Big Pine near Perham is known for a lot of good fishing. Featured in many Konnor Kleist/IDO videos. Can’t say I know many people going there to target bass when the walleye and crappie fishing is phenomenal. Many 3# fish around the docks and Otter Tail river.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I did not even notice that this was posted in the Ottertail lakes forum. I assumed because he said he was in a bass club out of the Brainerd area he was talking about one of the Big Pine lakes near there. Looking over the DNR surveys for the Big pine lake near Perham the Bass #’s are not real impressive. then again the last time they did a full survey on it was 2017, so who knows.

Bass Pundit

Yeah, I was talking about the one by Perham. The DNR notes on Rush barely mention bass as well. Rush is a really good bass lake. I would think Big Pine would be as well.

slowpoke
    Perham Mn

I fish Big Pine alot! While I mainly fish for Walleyes and Crappies, I can count on one hand the times I have accidently caught a bass. I also put my spear house out there. Don’t ever remember seeing one there either. Now if you are interested in Rock Bass that’s your go to lake!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Yeah, I was talking about the one by Perham. The DNR notes on Rush barely mention bass as well. Rush is a really good bass lake. I would think Big Pine would be as well.

Ya the DNR survey #’s don’t look real good on Rush lake either. My experience of Bass on Rush is what it lacks in #’s it makes up with in size. I bet over 1/2 the bass I’ve caught in rish have been 3.5 lbs or better.
    I have fished the Big pine you are talking about, but not targeting Bass. Have never caught one while chasing Walleyes or panfish which is odd. If your club does end up there I’d be interested in hearing how it goes.

Bass Pundit

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bass Pundit wrote:</div>

Ya the DNR survey #’s don’t look real good on Rush lake either. My experience of Bass on Rush is what it lacks in #’s it makes up with in size. I bet over 1/2 the bass I’ve caught in rish have been 3.5 lbs or better.
    I have fished the Big pine you are talking about, but not targeting Bass. Have never caught one while chasing <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>Walleyes or panfish which is odd. If your club does end up there I’d be interested in hearing how it goes.

The club isn’t considering it and maybe never has. Now I know why..

tim hurley

I fished panfish on a lake near Park Rapids, we would crush crappies and sunnies, size & #s. The DNR report on that lake at the time was underwhelming. The Dnr put nets all over the lake but the pannies were tucked into one small bay so their sampling did not reflect my sampling.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.