Barometric pressure and effect on game fish

• Drew
    Participant

I always thought that atmospheric pressure had an effect on the stomach of the game fish thus making them feel more/ less full when pressure changes and that was the cause of increased or decreased feeding.

After doing a little researching this morning I found some articles explaining what is really going on. In the articles I read they said that the atmospheric pressure changes have the greatest effect on zooplankton, algae, and other small minnow feed. When the pressure drops abruptly these zooplankton/algae cannot adjust quickly enough for the pressure change and lift off the floor of the lake to become more accessible to minnows and other baitfish. Because these minnows and other baitfish are more out and about the game fish follow suit because of access to easy meals.

Does this sound correct? Anyone else have any input?

TipUpFishOn
    Participant

It sounds like someone much smarter than I came up with that so can’t argue. Alls I know is if anything about this barometric pressure is true, Saturday looks great for fishing! (black line is pressure)

Attachments:
    1. 2017-01-16-14_04_34-Minneapolis-MN-55410-Forecast-_-Weather-Underground-1.jpg

2. 2017-01-16-14_04_34-Minneapolis-MN-55410-Forecast-_-Weather-Underground.jpg

Drew
    Participant

I noticed the same thing for Saturday. I had great fishing this past weekend Saturday evening and wondered if the entire week would continue to be good fishing.

Jordan Weiler
    Participant

Good info, I always wondered myself what the reasoning behind this was!

Drew
    Participant

I don’t know if that’s for sure what’s going on, but it sort of makes sense to me too. Hopefully others can chime in on their thoughts as well

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.