Baking Potatoes

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Im an idiot and never knew this so I am posting for any other fellow idiots. I have been nailing my potatoes ever since finding out the internal temp. I cover them with olive oil, salt and “special spice” and crush them on the grill. I did notice last night they were done closer to 200.

“According to the Idaho Potato Commission, it’s best to bake naked potatoes in a 425 degree F oven for 55 to 60 minutes until the potatoes reach an internal temperature of 210 degrees F. At that temperature, the skin should be nice and crisp, while the inside will be fluffy and tender.”

I have stepped up my cooking game by magnitudes ever since getting quality temp gauges a few years ago. How I survived without them all those years really bothers me.

gary d
    cordova,il

If you like a bake potatoes try them in a instant pot. The good one that are about the size of a baseball and half. Im not a potatoe lover but it was very good.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I bought a MEATER Bluetooth thermometer. Haven’t been home enough to use it yet, but back to taters…

FW heats up the whole house with the oven, but I like them better in 6 minutes or less microwaved with garlic salt, little butter, pepper and whatever cheese is left over in the fridge.

I’m a simple man, but in a hurry most days.

CaptainMusky

I bought a MEATER Bluetooth thermometer. Haven’t been home enough to use it yet, but back to taters…

Those are pretty dang cool. My buddy has one and didnt realize you have to really pay attention with how far you insert it or your ambient temps wont be right.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I have several of the Thermoworks products, ok, I have an addiction to them. jester

2-dots, 4 channel signal, 4 channel smoke, MK1, billows and an infrared reader. Maverick 4 channel, humm seems like there is some others too like a fridge/freezer digital thermometer and more.

Hello my name is Denny O and I’m a thermo-holic. jester

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Digital temping is key to consistent internal temp meats being served! I use them in sausage, bacon, all smoking and grilling. peace

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I go 45 minutes at 500.
    Absolutely the best.
    If it ain’t got crispy skin, I’m not on board.

ThunderLund78

We’ll do a Baked Potato bar for supper some nights in our house. We poke the spuds, rub in olive oil and kosher salt, and wrap in foil. Then put them in the crockpot on low all day. Turns out perfect every time. Bacon, Cheese, broccoli Chives, Sour Cream, Ranch – even chili!

I guess I’ve never checked the internal temp but I haven’t had a bad one using this method.

Deuces

We’ll do a Baked Potato bar for supper some nights in our house. We poke the spuds, rub in olive oil and kosher salt, and wrap in foil. Then put them in the crockpot on low all day. Turns out perfect every time. Bacon, Cheese, broccoli Chives, Sour Cream, Ranch – even chili!

I guess I’ve never checked the internal temp but I haven’t had a bad one using this method.

Gonna have to try this, I really don’t use the oven in the summer bc of the heat.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Doesn’t foil = soggy skins?

Pat K
    Empire, MN

We tried them in the crock pot both wrapped and unwrapped. My wife and I both thought they were too much like a boiled potato and not close to a baked one.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.