Baby back ribs in the oven ?

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Baby backs were on sale yesterday for 5.50 a rack so I bought 10 racks.
    I always smoke them but I won’t have time for that till the weekend.
    Any one care to share easy oven tips and techniques. I want to make a couple racks tonight but I won’t be home until 430. Any way to cook them with out taking 4 hours ?

Greg Krull
    South Metro / Pool 4

You could put them in the slow cooker in the morning before you leave. Although for you, it might be 14 hours before you get back! Definitely won’t beat the smoking method, but it’s a cheap meal of fall of the bone ribs.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Excuse me for the following, but you can boil them, that would probably be the fastest method unless you have a pressure cooker. You could even par-boil, so they are cooked but not fall off the bone, and then finish them on the grill or smoker.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

If you boil them, boil them in beef broth

ThunderLund78

I think if you season, wrap them in foil with a little beer or chicken broth (and some liquid smoke) in there and bake at 375, you might have a shot but I think 2.5 – 3 hrs to at least get them to the “bite-off-the-bone” phase. Then sauce them and put them under the broiler for a couple minutes to finish.

If you have an InstantPot then you can be done in about an hour and they’re awesome. Do it all the time in the winter. Lots of directions out there on the web to do that.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

A pressure cooker or fancy pressure cooker (aka Instant Pot) is the only way to get them done in a hurry.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I bake them in the oven but it takes 3 – 4 hours. I put them in a roaster pan (covered) and pour a can of Coke over the top of them. Bake them at about 300. I take them out when done and cover with barbeque sauce and put them back in oven and turn up heat or put them on grill to let the barbaque sauce heat up. They should fall off the bone.

Erik Swenson

Can confirm instant pot is awesome for convenience’s sake! Just hit them under the broiler for a few minutes when they come out if you want a crispier finish.

Alagnak1

I just found these rib cooking ideas when I was looking for the microwave T bone recipes.

fishdale

Thats how I do them in a hurry. Instapot then through on a grill to get some marks and sauce.

A pressure cooker or fancy pressure cooker (aka Instant Pot) is the only way to get them done in a hurry.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I do 240 degrees for 4 hours wrapped in foil with a little apple juice, then finish on the grill on High for 10 min. Only way to go.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Ribs are not supposed to fall off the bone. That is a instant fail at any BBQ competition. But I’ll probably just bake them at a low temp and slap them on the grill, dinner will be late or it’ll make a great lunch for tomorrow.

Do you guys all like them to just fall off the bone ? I like to eat them off the bone. And look like a animal while doing so

bigcrappie
    Blaine

As long as the meat is tender and juicy guess it does not matter, But I like to fall off the bone.

Ribs are not supposed to fall off the bone. That is a instant fail at any BBQ competition. But I’ll probably just bake them at a low temp and slap them on the grill, dinner will be late or it’ll make a great lunch for tomorrow.

Do you guys all like them to just fall off the bone ? I like to eat them off the bone. And look like a animal while doing so

picklerick
    Central WI

Baby backs can be grilled directly over medium coals. Skip the sugary dry rubs or sauce until the end or they’ll burn. To speed things up you can put them on the indirect side for 20-25min in a hot grill. Then move over to direct grilling. Keep turning every 4-5 minutes over medium heat or as necessary. Poke a toothpick between the bones to test tenderness and take them off when it’s to your liking. It should take about 40-50min.
    Count me as another one who prefers to chew it off the bone like an animal. If it doesn’t come off the bone completely, it wasn’t done. If it falls off the bone, maybe you don’t like ribs and throw a chunked up pork shoulder or boneless country ribs in the crock pot or smoker next time. It’s a lot cheaper and easier to use pork shoulder if your end game is actually pulled pork.

Wayne Daul
    Green Bay, Wi

I season and put on 1/2” cookie sheet on 1/4” rack add a little water. Two hours at 250 add more time if extra thick. Cool for a few hours and finish on the Weber or gas grill with your favorite sauce. Tender, juicy meat almost falling off of the bone. Easy system with no mess. You can also make a extra rack in the oven and freeze it for later.

Wayne

Mr. Derek
    NULL

You could smoke them for a couple hours one night then finish them in the oven the next night before you eat.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

What I would recommend Bearcat is to smoke em for as long as you can afford to do. Even if thats just 20 minutes to get the smoke flavor on em then put them in the oven.

If I’m struggling with wind and temp control when smoking in the winter I will sometimes finish things in the oven to get them up to internal temp but it still tastes smoked

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I baked in over double wrapped in foil at 275 for just under 3 hours with a shot of apple juice in the foil. Then opened them up and broiled for 15 minutes and sauced them and cooked for another 5 to 10 minutes. Turned out perfectly sticky and ate them off the bone.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Tonight will be more ribs the same way along with some chicken wings and potatoes

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I air fried chicken wings last night, 20 min at 250 let set 20min and then 10min at 400. Mixed Baby Rays with Franks red hot 3/1. Man best wings I have had in awhile. Got the cooking temp and times off a FB post.

sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

where was the sale on them?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

where was the sale on them?

County market. As much as I think that place has crazy high prices, they have great deals on meat

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I air fried chicken wings last night, 20 min at 250 let set 20min and then 10min at 400. Mixed Baby Rays with Franks red hot 3/1. Man best wings I have had in awhile. Got the cooking temp and times off a FB post.

I’ll try that tonight with the wings. Sounds awesome. Did you add the sauce at the very end or last few minutes of the cook ?

Wayne Daul
    Green Bay, Wi

Missed important step, cover with tinfoil so that it actually is steam cooked.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

2 hours wrapped in foil at 275. Remove foil and cook a 1/2 hour at 350. Remove and sauce them bad boys up, bring the over to a broil and throw in for a additional 10 minutes. Ribs turned out amazing

riverbassman

Competition Ribs are not that great in my opinion. I mean, I will eat them but I prefer more towards falling off the bone. I think competition ribs are penalized for falling off the bone because it is too easy to cook them to that status. Getting them to be tender, done correctly and taste good without falling off the bone is not that easy…. hence the competition part.

KP
    Hudson, WI

I agree with the above that competition style ribs are not that good. I use to always cook them to fall off the bone and then I started watching those BBQ shows haha and started to make them so they dont fall off the bone. Now I’m back to making them fall off the bone because in my mind they taste better.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I want them to not fall off the bone but to be incredibly tender. And I was pretty successful at that. All ribs are not created equally. I could fork mine off the bone if I wanted but I did not want that. I want to cut between the bones and eat them how ribs are supposed to be eaten.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Agreed! Fall off the bone ribs? This is like BAKING Sunfish!

You guys that like fall off the bone ribs…just stay off my lawn!

picklerick
    Central WI

Sinners! I can’t decide which is worse, ribs cooked nearly 3hrs in the oven when they can be grilled in an hour or ribs cooked until they’re pulled pork.

And don’t get me started on those that put pork chops in a crockpot either. Takes 20 min to grill a 2″ thick pork chop. It’s a pig’s backstrap or NY strip steak. Nobody should be slow cooking those cuts either. And get off my lawn!

Just kidding. Eat and cook whatever way works for you.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.