Axel Repair Recommendations

• sbr_it

So I discovered this on my boat trailer during my recent Backwaters trip. Any local suggestions on where to get it fixed? Only place I found I think is Kullot’s down by the airport.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20180519_091324781_HDR.jpg

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Where ever you find to fix it I would recommend not pulling it there. 2nd make sure to get the other side done to. Looks like basic trailer bearings. Just about any garage should do them.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

If you can find a new hub, you should be able to do it yourself. Just need a hammer and chisel to pop the old bearing races off. Maybe some sandpaper to polish the bearing journals smooth again.

Sorry, don’t know where you can get it done.

Been there, done that. At least 3 times with my last trailer. It was always at least 4 hours from home too! Good riddance!

gordonk
    Inactive

I have a dual axle trailer and I have had issues. I use axle and spindle repair in S. Mpls. They do very good work and do it relatively fast. I have become something of an expert at removing the axle and taking it in but they can pretty much repair anything and get you back on the water fast.

Phone: 612-670-4073
    Phone: 612-330-3639

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Jack it up under the axle an behind the wheel. Take the nut off and slide the whole wheel/hub off together. If the inner race is stuck to the axle you’ll need to get it off. As mentioned a hammer and a chisel or punch will work but you may also need to heat that race with a torch. One of the home size propane torches will work for heating it before pounding the race off.

Once you’re down to an axle, no races on it, use a strip of emery cloth to polish the axle, then wipe it clean. You’ll need to know the axle size [1″, 1 1/16″] for either replacement bearings of replacement hubs.

Judging by the appearance of the hub I’d just pick up a pair of new ones with the bearings in place already, making certain that the bearings come pre-packed. Pack them if needed before re-installing them in the hubs. Put the hubs on and hand tighten the nut, then spin the wheel while turning the nut clock-wise to the nearest keyway and insert and bend the cotter key.

Bearing maintenance is a must on small trailers like your’s Andy. It’s an absolute. Depending on usage thru the season at least twice, once at the start of the season [or when you put the boat away in the fall] and again at mid season. These bearings haven’t been serviced in a long time.

If the trailer is park down there somewhere or at home and you need help give me a holler and I can help out this weekend…..Saturday is best.

sbr_it

Here my updated progress with a new hub. Just need to get a new codder pin and I should be wrapped up. Hoping I got it greased up enough. My assembly does not have zerk fittings, so I’m guessing I’ll have to pull apart the hub each Spring to grease up. I got two kits to replace the other, but when I took the cap off it was still we’ll greased. Should I leave as is and shoot some new grease in through the fitting or go ahead an replace that one to? Thanks for all the help.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20180610_170120980.jpg

CBMN
    North Metro

Replace the other side also.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Here my updated progress with a new hub. Just need to get a new codder pin and I should be wrapped up. Hoping I got it greased up enough. My assembly does not have zerk fittings, so I’m guessing I’ll have to pull apart the hub each Spring to grease up. I got two kits to replace the other, but when I took the cap off it was still we’ll greased. Should I leave as is and shoot some new grease in through the fitting or go ahead an replace that one to? Thanks for all the help.

Don’t wait till spring to do bearings. Do them in the fall when you winterize motor. If there is water in them you will have to replace the bearings if you wait till spring. Do them in the fall and you will never have to replace them. Also come spring you are good to go.

iowa_josh

to truly inspect a bearing, you take it out and wash it off and check the bearing and race for pitting or other wear.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.