Plow on 2WD ATV???

• ottomatica
    Participant
    Lino Lakes, MN

Has anybody here tried a snow plow on a 2WD ATV?

I’ve had the chance to use a 2WD ATV w/ chains for ice fishing and it can get around pretty good, pull a trailer on the snow covered ice, no problem. The tires spin until you hit ice and away you go.

I’m thinking I might be able to put a plow on it and still have enough traction. My biggest concern (aside from not having enough traction) would probably be tearing up my driveway with the chains.

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

I am thinking that wouldn’t work too well, unless you were pushing 4 inches or less, with no ice on the surface under the snow. JMO.

big g

nick
    Participant
    Lakeville, MN

Hmmm I’m skeptical how good it’ll work, a plow is certainly going to add some weight to the front end, making the rear end a bit lighter. I’m sure someone will come along and say how it worked for them.

fishinallday
    Participant
    Montrose Mn

Our sportsman 500 won’t push the plow in 2wd. Atleast not much.

ottomatica
    Participant
    Lino Lakes, MN

Are you using chains?

deerwoody
    Participant
    Deerwood,MN.

I have a 87 honda trx 250 that has plowed snow its whole life.It is not the best in deep stuff but it can handle more than you think with a little weight and chains.I have plowed 6-8 inches with it before.With a little snow chains arent needed.

mikeh
    Participant
    aitkin mn

Ive plowed snow with both a Honda 200 2wheel drive and Honda 300 2wheel drive. Bought the 200 in 1992. We haven’t had a snow since then I haven’t been able to plow. I’ve never used chains.

TazTyke
    Participant
    Central Minnesota

I plow with my 500 in 2 wheel all the time. If it is under 6″ and light no problem. More then 6″ and heavy you may need 4 wheel. I use the slope of the driveway when plowing. I think it depends on the wheeler to because I had a 300 that couldn’t back up the driveway in 2 wheel with the same plow.

As far as chains you can do it but it would mark up the driveway. If it isn’t to much an investment I would give it a try. If it doesn’t work then it gives you a good reason to go and get a new wheeler. She’ll understand.

the_grump
    Participant
    Le Center

Biggest problem you will see is getting stuck, when trying to back away from pile. It works better than shovling.

ottomatica
    Participant
    Lino Lakes, MN

Are these plows universal such that I could move one from a Polaris to a Honda? Also, for the guys who have plowed with the 2WD, what style blade did you use?

I wish I would have asked this years ago, thanks guys!

deerwoody
    Participant
    Deerwood,MN.

I would say to stay away from the bigger plows,I think mine is a 42″ cycle country.Pretty sure you could put my plow on any wheeler.

jesse
    Participant
    mn

I had a Warn plow. It was universal you just need to buy new mounting brackets if you switch atv’s, they run around $50.

coot
    Participant
    North Central Wisconsin

Check out the Cycle Country plows. I have one and am very happy with it. Goes off and on with two pins and the hook on the winch. I believe the plow and push tubes are universal, but the mounting hardware is 4-wheeler specific. Relatively easy to install. I’m not very mechanical and installed both the winch & plow myself. Link to their site http://www.cyclecountry.com

steve-fellegy
    Participant
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

My opinion, based on moving my “shift” button from 4wd to 2wd, is you will eventually have a heart attack getting the 2wd un-stuck. You will never move any banks in two wheel drive. It’s hard enough to do it in 4wd. 1-4″ snows? Maybe…but the banks will eventually get to big for 2wd.

Just my opinion…generally.

Steve Fellegy
    218-678-3103

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.