atv winch

• rubberduck
    Participant
    east bethel

Hey y’all.
    Curious on input on a 2500’3000 lbs winch for a wheeler. I love wern but Do any of you happen to have any other suggestion that may be a bit cheaper? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Gitchi Gummi
    Participant

I bought this venom winch for my ranger and am very happy with it… going on year 3 with it and no complaints. A buddy of mine has the same one and he bought it a year or two before me and its worked well for him too.

Mine is used primary for plowing. 6k lbs might have been overkill but the incremental price from a 4,500 lb winch was minor, so I figured why not. Looks like you can get a 3k lb winch model for around $200.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274441230208

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

My last 2 wheelers I put a 2500lbs badlands winch and plate on from harbor freight. Used the hell out of both them and never had a hiccup also has a wireless remote.

Putting a winch double the weight as recommended is OK until you get buried and bend your frame pulling your self out.

Gitchi Gummi
    Participant

Good call out BC. I should clarify I put a 6k lb winch on a Polaris Ranger. Yes, 6k would be way too much for an ATV.

General rule of thumb is at least 2X the weight of the machine and then adjudt from there as you see fit. You won’t ever find me stuck in the mud in my Ranger, so I’m not worried about bending a frame yanking out of suction mud. I use mine for plowing and hunting.

404 ERROR
    Participant
    MN

Harbor Freight winches are the real deal. A little loud, but I have used mine dozens of times to get some REALLLLLY stuck machines out with no issue. I own 2 currently and have had multiple others on older machines. They just keep working and the price can’t be beat.

I had my SXS buried to the top of the doors in a mud hole that had maybe 2″ of water this summer. The ZXR 5,000 winch pulled it right out without a problem.

John Timm
    Participant

My favorite winch was a 2500 lb super winch, but can’t find them anymore for cheap. Used to pay like 100-150 for them from Cabela’s. I have a harbor freight one now. 1 st one lasted about a month, second one is still going. Jury is still out!

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

I also have 2 of the Harbor Freight badlands winches. One on a utv, one on an ATV. Both have been great and the newer model on the utv came with a remote control which is very handy.

A lot of guys seem to want to massively overkill winch power. Bad idea. Only bad things will happen. It would not be hard to significantly damage something.

robby
    Participant
    Quad Cities

I know several guys that have bought them at Harbor Freight and love them. Some are repeat customers also.

rubberduck
    Participant
    east bethel

I’m pretty much sold on the harbor freight.My favorite store besides the gun store. I’ve heard of warns going out after little use also. Harbor freight it is🤞
    Appreciate the suggestions!

supercat
    Participant
    Eau Claire, WI

The biggest limitation to a winch is the battery. If you buy a winch bigger then what your battery can provide amperage you are just throwing your money away.

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

The biggest limitation to a winch is the battery. If you buy a winch bigger then what your battery can provide amperage you are just throwing your money away.

Great point.

Also the wire and all electric components like terminal blocks and splices MUST be sized correctly and done correctly so they don’t cause current-robbing resistance.

If your battery is located in the back of the UTV, plan on spending 💰💰💰 for the wire that is 100% copper and sized right for the length of the run. Don’t be suckered into buying el cheapo audio wire on the internet. That crap is plated aluminum and will melt under high current loads.

I paid over $100 for all copper wire to install my Honda’s winch last winter. It has probably gone up from there.

404 ERROR
    Participant
    MN

If your battery is located in the back of the UTV, plan on spending 💰💰💰 for the wire that is 100% copper and sized right for the length of the run. Don’t be suckered into buying el cheapo audio wire on the internet. That crap is plated aluminum and will melt under high current loads.

Both Polaris and Can-Am UTV’s come pre-wired now. I believe others as well, but cannot confirm.

rubberduck
    Participant
    east bethel

Thanks grouse. Will def get good solid copper wire.Have had the last 2 installed at Larsons for free. Think
    I’ll do it myself this time. The reviews on harbor freight winches are fantastic. Plus they are 89 buckaroos right now. yay
    That time of year tonbe a cheap wad for personal purchases. Xmas is coming soon

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.