Are they driving out on Minnetonka?

• BoatsHateMe
    Participant
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

Yes I understand all parts of the lake can be completely different but are there parts of the lake people are driving out on to now? Thinking about some panfish and maybe some tip ups if I can manage to score some of the elusive Sucker Minnows.

If not any recommendations for a bay that might produce within walking distance of a landing or entry point pulling a Clam and gear? Many years ago I used to tip up fish North Arm and I entered from the north end. Still an entry point up there?

Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

Not sure about tonka, but I saw some pickups out on Prior Thursday.

BoatsHateMe
    Participant

Yeah I saw some on West Rush yesterday with about 14” of good ice but heard up there East Rush was much worse. It sure can vary.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

If I was going to drive on Tonka (which I’m not going to, ever) I’d stay a significant distance from any channel connecting 2 bays. Those channels are so dangerous with thin ice all winter long.

matt
    Participant

Have heard there is some driving happening on Carsons Bay.I have not been down there to verify but Id guess there would be a couple other options also.Usually I jump in the truck and take a tour of the lake to see whats going on,havnt done so yet this winter.

crappie55369
    Participant
    Mound, MN

Trucks all over. From the smaller bays to the big bays.

Couldnt say about the access on the north side of North Arm. There is a small fire lane on the west side of the bay and that is still in tact.

I havent been out since last week. At that time i was finding around 11″ most places i went. Ive heard tell of 12-14″ in most places from reading online discussions. Looking out my window now i can see a half dozen trucks or so. As with much of the metro ice isnt 12″ of crystal clear nice ice. Its cloudy with frozen slush making up some of it. I wouldnt be too worried about driving out right now personally but i will wait a week or two myself partly because i drive a Yukon XL and partly because i tend to be more cautious.

Good luck. Find a weedline and you should find fish.

BoatsHateMe
    Participant

Plenty of vehicles and trucks out there with 14-16” of good ice on Excelsior Bay. Sadly I could not enjoy driving to my spot as the Public launch was closed so I had to drag my load out from the park. Not sure where the trucks were getting on, saw them head north when they were leaving so maybe one of the Marinas.

crappie55369
    Participant
    Mound, MN

Plenty of vehicles and trucks out there with 14-16” of good ice on Excelsior Bay. Sadly I could not enjoy driving to my spot as the Public launch was closed so I had to drag my load out from the park. Not sure where the trucks were getting on, saw them head north when they were leaving so maybe one of the Marinas.

Yup the excelsior launch is closed. A few other launch spots nearby

BoatsHateMe
    Participant

Yup the excelsior launch is closed. A few other launch spots nearby

Mind if I ask where to get on in that area?

moustachesteve
    Participant
    Twin Cities

I’ve accessed Phelps and Spring Park bays via Sherven Park in the past but haven’t been there this year.

Dan Baker
    Participant

Does anyone have info on how to access West Arm by vehicle, or if it is one of those don’t drive on it bays?
    Dan

zooks
    Participant

I’ve accessed Phelps and Spring Park bays via Sherven Park in the past but haven’t been there this year.

I was out there on Monday morning, it was in good shape. Roads are plowed to the usual spots and there was some goat trails going other places. I had 16″ of ice where I was fishing, could have kept a meal of sunnies but was just a C&R trip with my boy.

If the downtown Excelsior launch is closed, I’d try to get on at Tonka Bay Marina, I’ve used that plenty in the past.

crappie55369
    Participant
    Mound, MN

Does anyone have info on how to access West Arm by vehicle, or if it is one of those don’t drive on it bays?
    Dan

fire lane about 40 yards north or Rockvam boat yard

Dan Baker
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dan Baker wrote:</div>
    Dan

Thanks!

crappie55369
    Participant
    Mound, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>crappie55369 wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dan Baker wrote:</div>
    Dan

Thanks!

NP. as far as driving on that bay i couldn’t say one way or another. Not a lot of traffic out there and there are a lot of shallow areas in that bay. I wouldn’t feel comfortable in my truck personally but im not the type to blaze my own trail on the ice so to speak.

matt
    Participant

Used to be a dead end fire lane on the northwest side of Gideons Bay that would be the closest to Excelsior that I can think of

zooks
    Participant

Used to be a dead end fire lane on the northwest side of Gideons Bay that would be the closest to Excelsior that I can think of

Tonka Bay changed the classification on that one a few years ago to no motor vehicle traffic, snowmobiles/ATV’s only.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.