Are crappies back on Red?

• Netguy
    Minnetonka

Good luck with that theory on Red. Last census put Waskish at 139 people. Other areas like Alex and Brainerd, yes, Red no.

When you get out in the boonies “locals” is a relative term. When Red got fished/netted down my fried’s uncle from Rapids said they’d take off after work, drive up to Red, go out to the first break, catch a limit and be home by midnight. They’d do that 3-4 times a week. That’s local enough for me. Bemidji’s even closer.

tswoboda

When you get out in the boonies “locals” is a relative term. When Red got fished/netted down my fried’s uncle from Rapids said they’d take off after work, drive up to Red, go out to the first break, catch a limit and be home by midnight. They’d do that 3-4 times a week. That’s local enough for me. Bemidji’s even closer.

Minnesota’s divided into 2 populations:
    South of St. Cloud is Citiots
    North of St. Cloud is locals
    No one claims St. Cloud.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

No one claims St. Cloud.

LOL, that is pretty accurate, though you need to extend that west, too. We have a cabin near New London, and my wife is from Belgrade. There is definitely plenty of disdain for Citiots out there and further west. rotflol

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I can relate to this, but thankfully I live in Sartell.

Sartell has become just a ‘burb of St. Cloud, now. My family moved there in the mid-90s, the population was under under 6K, and I recall “making a trip into St. Cloud.” Now, the two are basically intertwined!

CaptainMusky

Sartell has become just a ‘burb of St. Cloud, now. My family moved there in the mid-90s, the population was under under 6K, and I recall “making a trip into St. Cloud.” Now, the two are basically intertwined!

Yep, we moved here in 98 and the population was under 10K. IDK what the current census is, but I know its double that.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

We moved there in ’93 or ’94, and I graduated in ’99. I am amazed every time we visit my folks–more housing and more roundabouts!

AK Guy

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>AK Guy wrote:</div>
    Good luck with that theory on Red. Last census put Waskish at 139 people. Other areas like Alex and Brainerd, yes, Red no.

I didn’t realize I was a local on Red. During the crappie boom, I would day trip it from Brainerd and be home by midnight too. I guess it’s better than being a Citiot…

CaptainMusky

We moved there in ’93 or ’94, and I graduated in ’99. I am amazed every time we visit my folks–more housing and more roundabouts!

Ha! The city of roundabouts for sure!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

No one claims St. Cloud.

That made me actually LOL! We moved to Sartell in 1991 and the population was like 1200-1400, and like Ralph said you left Sartell and drove thru cornfields to get to St. Cloud now they are connected. And I graduated Sartell in 2001 and the population was around 12-14k. My parents moved to the cabin about 10ish years ago, so I don’t get back often but when I do it is hardly recognizable and I want to say over 20k population.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tswoboda wrote:</div>
    Crappie life span is 7-9 years in MN. Good growth rate is 10″ at 5 years old. How big are the crappies coming out of Red right now? Simple math tells you why the boom ended quickly last time and why it’s going to end quickly again.

Bingo. Crappies only live so long.

A successful spawn causes the boom along with the forage to support them and keep them from getting eaten. Successful spawns take the right conditions on a lake like Red and will not happen every year. Enjoy it when it happens.

x3 enjoy it while it lasts, it’s a good thing.

CaptainMusky

That made me actually LOL! We moved to Sartell in 1991 and the population was like 1200-1400, and like Ralph said you left Sartell and drove thru cornfields to get to St. Cloud now they are connected. And I graduated Sartell in 2001 and the population was around 12-14k. My parents moved to the cabin about 10ish years ago, so I don’t get back often but when I do it is hardly recognizable and I want to say over 20k population.

Its growing very rapidly for sure! They seem to be putting up dozens of apartment complexes every year. The most frustrating part is there are only 2 North/South routes through town and they closed one all summer to work on it. What a nightmare that was! Took me over an hour to get to work during that stretch and its a 15 mile drive. They need to figure that out and ASAP!

FinnyDinDin

I’m not saying anglers have zero effect on the population, just that it’s miniscule compared to nature. Even with 100% C&R that 12″-14″ year class will be gone in a couple years. And the lake only gets a good year class to maturity once every 10ish years.

This isn’t the first time people will claim red is fished out by hook and line and won’t be the last. Simple logic for that lake will tell you that’s just not possible.

I got a good laugh out of Gim’s post on page one. I resisted making a snarky response,

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

No one claims St. Cloud.

Thought I gave up the Citiot label almost 30 years ago, but now I am back!

peace

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tswoboda wrote:</div>
    I’m not saying anglers have zero effect on the population, just that it’s miniscule compared to nature. Even with 100% C&R that 12″-14″ year class will be gone in a couple years. And the lake only gets a good year class to maturity once every 10ish years.

This isn’t the first time people will claim red is fished out by hook and line and won’t be the last. Simple logic for that lake will tell you that’s just not possible.

I got a good laugh out of Gim’s post on page one. I resisted making a snarky response,

Oh that’s so sweet of you, pat your self on the back.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Sartell even puts roundabouts in the school parking lots! Heck of a thread going on though, somehow managed to start talking sartell and red lake in the same discussion, who would have thunk.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Heck of a thread going on though, somehow managed to start talking sartell and red lake in the same discussion, who would have thunk.

Lol, it just happened.

FinnyDinDin

Oh that’s so sweet of you, pat your self on the back.

I have always thought you were a pretty cool member on here but you have made some dueschy remarks lately. What’s up, someone pee in your cheerios or something?

Ripjiggen

You stick around long enough and comment enough it’s bound to happen.
    I wouldn’t take it personal.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Yeah I am sorry, I was being a ass. Don’t take it personally, I was a crabby ass. Worked to many hours and needed to not read everything negatively

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.