Are crappies back on Red?

• queenswake
    Participant
    NULL

I have seen a lot of pics recently of nice crappies being caught in Red. And not just one or two stragglers caught, but a lot. Does anyone know what is going on? Any info from the DNR about what might be happening?

crappie55369
    Participant
    Mound, MN

I too have noticed more photos and resorts talking about the crappie bite. Our group caught some hogs when we were up in December and none of us had ever caught crappies on red before. I sure hope they stick around

biggill
    Participant
    East Bethel, MN

Heard the exact same thing. Might have to take a spring trip up there and give it a try.

Joe Jarl
    Participant
    SW Wright County

We were just talking about this today at work. A fair amount of posts on social media about it. Enjoy it while it lasts!

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’m not sure I’d say they are back, but there has been seemingly more media about it out there this year. We got into them pretty well when we were up there as well.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Not for long

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

Not for long

Bingo.

The crappie boom time that quickly was fished out took place with far fewer anglers, minimal social media, and no livescope type tools to nail suspended fish down constantly.

The uptick in their population will be short lived

FinnyDinDin
    Participant

It didn’t get fished out during the crappie boom. And won’t getted fished out this time. It’s a big fishery. Non-natives can fish small percentage of the lake. We aren’t fishing out the lake with hook and line and being restricted on small one portion. Fish swim.

The crappie population is up. It should kick out some monsters next year.

Ripjiggen
    Participant

They were never gone. The giant year classes got fished hard and got old. They have had a couple great spawning springs in last tenish years and there has been a good uptick in catch rate this year. Have to have just the right weather on that lake to have a great crappie spawn.

Ripjiggen
    Participant

The crappie boom time that quickly was fished out took place with far fewer anglers, minimal social media, and no livescope type tools to nail suspended fish down constantly.

The uptick in their population will be short lived

Trust me there was plenty of people out there then. Maybe not in dual axle house but it was packed. It wasn’t a secret by any means. They had back to back perfect springs when the walleye population was at an all time low. Perfect storm so to speak.

FinnyDinDin
    Participant

We can fish 40% of a 120,000 acre lake, not to mention lower red. If you guys can entice the crappies on the native side of URL to come bite and fish em all out on hook and line, I want to know what you’re fishing with.

The crappie population is dependent on spawn and forage. There has been a ton of suspended forage the last few years. Must have been a good spawn or two and conditions aligned.

Joe Jarl
    Participant
    SW Wright County

Regardless of the cause of the crappie boom and bust cycle, I think we can agree that history tells us it’ll likely be short lived. I got in on the tail end of the last one 20 some years ago. Was a good time!

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

We can fish 40% of a 120,000 acre lake, not to mention lower red. If you guys can entice the <em class=”ido-tag-em”>crappies on the native side of URL to come bite and fish em all out on hook and line, I want to know what you’re fishing with.

The crappie population is dependent on spawn and forage. There has been a ton of suspended forage the last few years. Must have been a good spawn or two and conditions aligned.

Sorry we got you so worked up.
    But the boom didn’t last long the first time and it won’t this time either. Never did I say it was deleted of crappies. But as a fisherman we watched the boom turn to a bust. This time it’ll be quicker.

Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

I was up there at the end of the Crappie rampage and before Walleye opened again.
    We were eating breakfast at the resort and some locals were at a table next to us talking on how they would go get there limit of Crappie before going to work then go out after work and catch another limit.

Yeah, it won’t last long.

FinnyDinDin
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Feathers and Dots wrote:</div>
    We can fish 40% of a 120,000 acre lake, not to mention lower red. If you guys can entice the <em class=”ido-tag-em”>crappies on the native side of URL to come bite and fish em all out on hook and line, I want to know what you’re fishing with.

Sorry we got you so worked up.
    But the boom didn’t last long the first time and it won’t this time either. Never did I say it was deleted of crappies. But as a fisherman we watched the boom turn to a bust. This time it’ll be quicker.

Who is worked up? Just having discussion on a discussion forum…

I agree it will be short lived. But it won’t because we fish them out. Just like that wasn’t the cause of the end of the crappie boom last time.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

But it won’t because we fish them out. Just like that wasn’t the cause of the end of the crappie boom last time.

So if anglers aren’t causing the decline in the “boom”, what is? I love it when people start blaming other factors when the real cause is right in the mirror. Maybe the muskies are eating all of them? coffee

CaptainMusky
    Participant

We wont fish them out but their numbers will be greatly reduced meaning they will be harder to catch plus they will die off. To think their disappearance or rarity isnt because of lack of numbers is not because of angling pressure is ridiculous.

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

His point is valid in the fact that there is a whole lot of lake we can’t touch. Will we decimate what is swimming around our portion, maybe but there will still be crappies in the system, just harder to find and hench the boom will be over.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

His point is valid in the fact that there is a whole lot of lake we can’t touch. Will we decimate what is swimming around our portion, maybe but there will still be crappies in the system, just harder to find and hench the boom will be over.

The crappies have most definitely always been in the system. And won’t get fished out. But who’s to say the natives probably take 10x what we take so you have to consider that as well.

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

But who’s to say the natives probably take 10x what we take so you have to consider that as well.

True. Ok so now that we have discussed it can someone nuke this thread and for god sakes all the idiots on Bookface stop posting about it. Red gets enough pressure already!!

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Are crappies commercially harvested on Red Lake like the walleyes are? Or is there a significant amount of by-catch crappies being caught and/or harvested in the band’s nets when the walleyes are taken?

Something else to consider here is that crappies are not stocked in this lake, while walleyes are/were. And crappie season never closes, so they aren’t protected during their spawning season, whereas the walleyes are. So not only are they reliant solely on natural reproduction, but they also receive year round pressure.

tswoboda
    Participant

Crappie life span is 7-9 years in MN. Good growth rate is 10″ at 5 years old. How big are the crappies coming out of Red right now? Simple math tells you why the boom ended quickly last time and why it’s going to end quickly again.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Some of the crappies Ive seen are pretty big but I dont think nearly as big as they were in the boom timeframe.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

The ones we caught this year were 14 plus

the_hat
    Participant
    SE Metro

Curious as to what you guys consider “long” for a time frame?

Gregg Gunter
    Participant

“the real cause is right in the mirror.”
    Thank you! It’s not Natives, locals, citiots or any other names. It’s all of us. Point the finger at yourself and quit belly acheing. Use some self restraint and model that to the people who have to inherit the mess we leave behind.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

“the real cause is right in the mirror.”
    Thank you! It’s not Natives, locals, citiots or any other names. It’s all of us. Point the finger at yourself and quit belly acheing. Use some self restraint and model that to the people who have to inherit the mess we leave behind.

I don’t know who said otherwise.

mark-bruzek
    Participant
    Two Harbors, MN

So explain how that same theory applies to the decimation of the walleye population circa 2000… ya know the whole reason the crappie boom happened

But overall it is all factors combined, tribal, wheelhouses, portables, resorts, technology, internet…
    The only way to protect what you want is to keep your mouth shut.
    Bringing to light on public forums via word and pics will only add nails to the coffin.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

Are crappies commercially harvested on Red Lake like the walleyes are? Or is there a significant amount of by-catch crappies being caught and/or harvested in the band’s nets when the <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleyes are taken?

Something else to consider here is that crappies are not stocked in this lake, while <em class=”ido-tag-em”>walleyes are/were. And crappie season never closes, so they aren’t protected during their spawning season, whereas the walleyes are. So not only are they reliant solely on natural reproduction, but they also receive year round pressure.

They are also extremely easy to find with live imaging sonar units. Suspended fish like crappies are way easier to target now than they were during the boom days on Red…hence why I’m guessing their populations will take a pretty quick hit.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.