Archery for kids

• crappie55369
    Mound, MN

All my boys went to YMCA camp this week. The middle boy came out of it with a passion for archery. I told him about cabin fever (shop near me) that has a shooting range and bows for sale. Hes asked me 3x today when we can go. I definitely want to pounce on this enthusiasm but before I take him there wanted to come here and ask for some feedback or advice from those that have had their young ones get into archery. Hes 10 and shoots left handed just for reference.

I shot bow a bit about 10 years ago but I don’t know much. Basically looking for advice to avoid pitfalls in the purchasing process and maybe some do’s and donts to ensure he has fun and hopefully finds a lifelong hobby.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Definitely go with something like the Genesis youth bow. Easy to learn on and can grow with him a bit. How big of a 10 year old is he? That’s that age where they could still look like they’re in 2nd grade or look like they should be driving depending on their genetics.

Definitely get him to the shop to shoot a bit and even to WATCH some people shoot. A bow that is easy to draw/shoot, and a nice big target should lead to quite a bit of fun, but not be too spendy if he decides he doesn’t like it down the road. I work in the industry and have tought at a few youth camps, and that genesis bow seems to be the best option for kids trying to learn.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

There’s a few adjustable bows that are commonly recommended, my boys aren’t old enough yet so I haven’t looked too much. I know Cabin Fever well (need to stop in myself) and they are GREAT with kids. I also think kids shoot there for free and/or they have some kids sessions or leagues or something. I’d just plan on going there and Leaning on their experience.

dbright
    Cambridge

The archery community is very helpful to new shooters and especially youth shooters. That goes for archery shops and seasoned shooters shooting at the shops.

Musky Ed

Mathews Genesis is a fantastic bow for kids starting out. Biggest advice I could give is to not get to strong of a weight bow thinking he will grow into it. Doing that will quickly destroy his enthusiasm for archery. He had a great time with the Y equipment, maybe call them to see what they used. The last archery club I belonged to used to do alot of free shoots for kids. We even had bows and arrows for them to use, and most all club members came out to help the kids on those days as most parents knew little about archery other than their children were interested. Also the bows we used were mathews Geneses.

Kelly Jordan
    Fort Atikinson,Wisc

Genesis is a great bow to get started with. Its also what is used in the NASP.
    National Archery in Schools Program.
    You can always move up later on.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Great advice everyone. Thanks!

deertracker

Genesis is a great bow to get started with. Its also what is used in the NASP.
    National Archery in Schools Program.
    You can always move up later on.

If you end up getting a Genesis and they want to shoot archery at school, make sure you get the original Genesis. That is the only one allowed for competition.

DT

JEREMY
    BP

My kids have PSE MiniBurners. Great for young kids. Draw length is adjustable from like 16-27 inches and draw weight like 10-40lbs. Not all do at home adjustments Cabin Fever did ours.

Ben K.

I bought my 8 y/o a Mission Hammer with the “grow into it” philosophy in mind (dw of like 5-70lb). It is a sweet bow and seems to be working well for him. I bought my 6 y/o a used Diamond infinite edge with the same thought in mind. That was a mistake as it is way too big for him. He shoots a simple little plastic Bear bow and has a blast with it.

If I could do it all again I would go the Genesis route.

Mike Gioia

I know this is an older post. Did you get him a bow yet? The genesis bow thing is great but eye dominance is more important than hand dominance.
    Also kids see things different. I’ve taught many kids, and am certified NASP and USA archery. If you need help just ask. Easier to avoid probs than correct them but best to know what may happen to avoid it.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I just bought my 11 year old a woman’s hoyt. And it’s a perfect fit. He’s a big boy at 5ft 9, I had a buddy who had the bow sitting on the shelf since his divorce 2 years ago. Brand new in the box 100 bucks. Only issue it’s pink so It’s in my old ladies body shop getting sprayed black at the moment

ThunderLund78

I’m exactly where you’re at, Crappie! My boy was gifted a very nice used youth bow, which might be a little much for him to start with. I don’t bow hunt myself but he really wants to get into it and I want to take advantage of this interest. I may even end up getting into it with him (gulp – last thing I need is another expensive hobby!) I’m also planning on going to Cabin Fever. I love that place, but I’m usually going there for fishing stuff. Always admired their bow dept in the back of the store. I think we’ll be going there over xmas break. I’m going to have them take a look at his gifted bow and see what it will take to get it tuned-up and maybe look at an intermediate option to get him started.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’m exactly where you’re at, Crappie! My boy was gifted a very nice used youth bow, which might be a little much for him to start with. I don’t bow hunt myself but he really wants to get into it and I want to take advantage of this interest. I may even end up getting into it with him (gulp – last thing I need is another expensive hobby!) I’m also planning on going to Cabin Fever. I love that place, but I’m usually going there for fishing stuff. Always admired their bow dept in the back of the store. I think we’ll be going there over xmas break. I’m going to have them take a look at his gifted bow and see what it will take to get it tuned-up and maybe look at an intermediate option to get him started.

Depending on the bow to get it tuned for him is 25 bucks at my local archery shop. That’s if it’s set up for his draw length and weight. That’s including him tuning to paper targets

BigWerm
    SW Metro

May as well shoot a couple yourself while you’re there… whistling IMO bow hunting isn’t too expensive, unless you try and keep up with the Jones’. You can get a solid bow with arrows second hand for a few hundred, and then the only on-going expenses are replacing broken arrows, broadheads and an occasional restring.

Dan
    Southeast MN

In the experience and opinions of you all here, at what age do you really get a clear picture of eye dominance? My oldest is 4 1/2 and shoots right handed with toy bows and my youngest (2 1/2) does the same because I think they’re both shaping up to be right handed. I’m just not sure exactly when I can expect to know for sure which eye will be dominant and don’t want to go too crazy on spending before I do. I know I could try the old eye test to try and figure out dominant eye but I’m not sure the kid would really grasp it and give me a good idea.

Mike Gioia

You can check eye dominance on young children, testing might need to be different than the typical adult tests because of their ability to understand what you’re asking. The make a triangle w the fingers and look through it at your nose may or may not work if your by yourself. You can’t show them and have them frame your nose.
    Never mention anything to anyone about testing their eye dominance but another way ask him to keep both eyes open standing 10 feet back and point at your nose tip. His finger will be under dominant eye. That’s the method I use on kids.
    Another easy way is get a cd or something tell him to look through hole at the doorknob across the room or something. The dominant eye should be the one he uses. You need to be sure both eyes stay open when you test. Check a few times using dif tests if possible and make sure both eyes are open

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Took the kid to do a techno hunt on Monday and he fell in love. He had a blast. Will be doing that once a week with him and 3d as well. Kills a couple hours and is cheap fun. Highly suggest to bring the kids in and try it. Him and I are going to join the league by us and start doing it competitive

deertracker

Took the kid to do a techno hunt on Monday and he fell in love. He had a blast. Will be doing that once a week with him and 3d as well. Kills a couple hours and is cheap fun. Highly suggest to bring the kids in and try it. Him and I are going to join the league by us and start doing it competitive

Surprise him for Christmas and put one in the basement. I found one online for 15k. I didn’t buy it of course.

DT

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

Surprise him for Christmas and put one in the basement. I found one online for 15k. I didn’t buy it of course.

DT

If they will take 7500 payments of 2 dollars I’d totally do it lol. Till then I like the one at full draw for 10 bucks. Little easier on my wallet

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.