Arbys

• Aaron Kalberer
    Participant

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodnews/arbys-has-a-new-menu-item-%E2%80%94-and-the-internet-is-quacking-up-about-it/ar-BBOtuTC?li=BBnb7Kw

Has anyone else heard about this? Cool that they serve venison and now duck at a few locations, and they did run a few pro hunting adds that now seem to have been removed from the internet. I do like that they partnered up with Ducks Unlimited, not that they give specifics on what they are doing with them. I just thought it was cool to see a chain like Arbys do something like this and somewhat support hunters even if it is not a complete direct method.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

It is a neat thing to see but it sure gives me the willys thinking about buying duck or venison from a fast food joint. You think they will serve me my duck sandwich rare

1hl&sinker
    Participant
    On the St.Croix

There goes the cost of duck at the store. coffee I won’t contribute to a restaurant chain that increases the cost of food at the grocery store. Remember when that chain introduced brisket to their menus and the price of brisket went up considerably more than any other cut of beef. Hate to see what beef short ribs are going for right now.

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

It was interesting to see how much demand there was for the original venison sandwich. I guess it was basically sold out in a day at the locations that actually had it in the first place.

It’s interesting to me that by and large in the US wild game has been seen as a poor man’s meal and traditionally hasn’t been viewed by many as top class table fare.

Mrs. Grouse is British and their view of wild game is completely different than most people over here. She would say who would eat beef if you could get and afford venison or other wild game?

I get a lot of eye rolling from Mrs. Grouse at deer season. Did you see any deer? Yes, I saw deer. Well, when do we eat then? The idea of mainly hunting for sport is completely alien to her.

I was absolutely amazed when I was down in New Zealand, the number and size of the deer farms down there was astonishing. I spoke with one farm manager while I was out fishing and he said the demand for venison was basically unlimited. Almost everything New Zealand produced went to German, Switzerland, and Austria. And that was a LOT of dang venison by the look of things. We’re the ones who are coming to the party late in the US.

Grouse

crappie55369
    Participant
    Mound, MN

It is a neat thing to see but it sure gives me the willys thinking about buying duck or venison from a fast food joint. You think they will serve me my duck sandwich rare

Something tells me the handling, processing, and preparing of duck and other wild game cant be any worse than beef and chicken that is served every day.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

As soon as I heard about it I looked up locations for the Venison burger and nothing was near me. I would have liked to try it.

Aaron Kalberer
    Participant

Oh I agree, and I am sure they will be well done, the way everyone seems to cook duck.

There goes the cost of duck at the store. coffee I won’t contribute to a restaurant chain that increases the cost of food at the grocery store. Remember when that chain introduced brisket to their menus and the price of brisket went up considerably more than any other cut of beef. Hate to see what beef short ribs are going for right now.

Guess I never looked at it that way, never have bought much duck, but can see the cause for concern.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

It’s interesting to me that by and large in the US wild game has been seen as a poor man’s meal and traditionally hasn’t been viewed by many as top class table fare.

This is an interesting dichotomy. A lot of fine dining establishments have wild game (and for very expensive prices), but the general public will often turn up their nose at actual (not pen raised) wild game. One of my favorite things is sharing game with people who “don’t like it”, and usually their opinion changes after one well prepared meal.

Reef W
    Participant

You think they will serve me my duck sandwich rare

It says it will be cooked sous vide so maybe. The temperature recommendations everybody thinks of, like 165° for chicken, is the temperature that instantly kills salmonella. Lower temperatures also kill salmonella but it takes longer. Sous vide lets you cook things at very precise temperatures for long periods of time.

If you ever want to make a perfect steak that is exactly 140° medium rare from edge to edge sous vide is a great way to do it. I’ve made 145° chicken and it’s quite different. Definitely the juiciest chicken I’ve ever eaten but the texture being so different than 165° chicken was a little odd to me at first.

Check out page 34 of this PDF: https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/wcm/connect/bf3f01a1-a0b7-4902-a2df-a87c73d1b633/Salmonella-Compliance-Guideline-SVSP-RTE-Appendix-A.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

That Arby’s sauce don’t sound half bad on some venny.

I’d try it once. Not gonna wait in line for it or go out my way, but if it’s there I think most anything won’t be bad with some curly fries next to it.

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

America was not always snobbish toward wild game… our ancestors thrived and survived on it. We have become too soft… case in point. Watch the TV show Alone and watch how they fawn over eating a mouse that they trapped… or even better, a chipmunk cooked over open flame. (now back to dismantling my hammock to make my fish net… wondering why I didn’t just bring a fishnet ?) jester

slipperybob
    Participant
    Lil'Can, MN

Unfortunately the duck is not coming to MN…

ajw
    Participant

Buying a duck or venison sammich from Arby’s is not eating “wild game”. It’s farm/pen raised just like cows or chickens. Let’s not kid ourselves. I don’t care if people eat it and I might try it but calling it wild game is akin to high fence “hunting” operations calling it hunting. It’s shooting

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

I think we realize all the workers at Arby’s are not burning their tags on sandwich deer… of course the deer and ducks are pen raised… someone above mentioned the attitude overseas and eating “wild game”… and another how he likes to sneak it into ones diet, who won’t eat “wild game” (who is not guilty of this one) devil it also would be a crime to “sell” wild game, its a form of poaching. doah crazy shock smirk

B-man
    Participant

Their new motto:

Welcome to Arby’s, come try another new meal that will give you instant diarrhea

slipbob_nick
    Participant
    Princeton, MN

I’d try the venison sandwich. Back in the day they had a deal that was 4 for 4.95 or 5 for 4.95 something like that it was great. I remember being in a class at Scsu and my buddy joe saying I have some fries and a shake in the Corsica hopefully the fries are still warm and the shakes still cold.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.