Apple Pie – the perfect winter drink

• sji
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Denny O wrote:</div>
    WOW Bucky, you have already down a whole batch?! shock Steady boy steady. rotflol

jester jester jester jester

That was my first reaction too toast

He is a badger after all.

Denny O
    Participant
    Central IOWA

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Randy Wieland wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Denny O wrote:</div>
    WOW Bucky, you have already down a whole batch?! shock Steady boy steady. rotflol

jester jester jester jester

That was my first reaction too toast

He is a badger after all.

hah Amatures!
    toast We Hawkeyes have never lost a tailgate party yet! toast

Deleted
    Participant

So, I’ve got a single 1.75 liter left out of a 4 gallon batch….. tomorrow’s fish fry for 14-17 in my heated garage…….probably gonna need to do another batch to get thru the winter.

Sharon
    Participant
    Dakota County, MN

Fish fry AND apple pie?? What time should I be there? 😉

Deleted
    Participant

Fish fry AND apple pie?? What time should I be there? 😉

Sorry, was very last minute (to mainly my neighbors), some just got invited the day before and surprisingly everyone made it. Luckily nobody had to drive home. We made that 1.75 disappear with ease. Good times.

Denny O
    Participant
    Central IOWA

Ok, I gotta put a batch together. I need to put a list of “The Quality” ingredients together now.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

Bump. It’s time to dabble with my recipe from last year. I’m opening my last jar tonight.

Who else has intentions of mixing up a few batches of Apple Pie?

bigpike
    Participant

My wife has been making large batches of choke cherry liquor. It gets better with age.

sji
    Participant

I’m late but better than never? I also tried some mixes this year. Apple, peach, cherry and pumpkin spice which only lasted a week after the word was out.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

Bump.

The time has come to start whipping up another batch. This year I think we’re going bigger and inviting some family friends over to the newly finished garage to make a huge batch (~20 gallons or so) with growing requests for a jar or bottle.

Who here still makes apple pie? We use it as a reason to gather and drink a bit too much while making more to drink toast

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

I made some “cherry pie” 2 weeks ago–it’s fantastic. Pairs well with a Coke. I need to make a batch of apple, too, and I am all out.

Jimmy Jones
    Participant

We Hawkeyes have never lost a tailgate party yet!

How’d you and the Hawkeyes do last Saturday?

supercat
    Participant
    Eau Claire, WI

Bump.

The time has come to start whipping up another batch. This year I think we’re going bigger and inviting some family friends over to the newly finished garage to make a huge batch (~20 gallons or so) with growing requests for a jar or bottle.

Who here still makes apple pie? We use it as a reason to gather and drink a bit too much while making more to drink toast

Yes make mine in large batches I have a 64 quart stock pot and a turkey fryer.

Attachments:
    1. PXL_20211202_181308717-scaled.jpg

Gerty
    Participant

I make peach pie. Usually do 2 or 3 batches a year.

IceNEyes1986
    Participant
    Harris, MN

I just made a few gallons of apple pie on Friday. By the sounds of it, I need to make more next time. The stuff sure is delicious!

KP
    Participant
    Hudson, WI

What recipes are people using? the one the original poster posted?

404 ERROR
    Participant
    MN

What recipes are people using? the one the original poster posted?

That’s mostly what I use for a recipe. However, I always add orange slices and some peppercorn when simmering. It adds some really good and interesting flavors.

About time I head to Prescott for some clear. cool

Hard Water Fan
    Participant
    Shieldsville

Thanks for bumping this thread. I am definitely going to try this.

Any recommendations for Everclear substitution? I don’t plan on making a road trip.

The variation with vanilla vodka sounds interesting but the flavored vodka craze has died down. Anyone know where to pick some up?

rubberduck
    Participant
    east bethel

Tough not to have the check liver light come on just by reading these recipes.;)

Last one I made was “Creamsicle”
    2 gallons orange juice
    (Simmer) add 1-1.5 cup French vanilla coffee creamer, vanilla extract to liking, 1- 2 cups white sugar stir well until ingredients are desolved.
    Add in everclear once cooled.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Well I guess I’ll be making a batch this weekend. To hard not to. The neighbors brought over a quart the other night. The 4 of us passed it around a few times and it was gone. Delicious

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

Thanks for bumping this thread. I am definitely going to try this.

Any recommendations for Everclear substitution? I don’t plan on making a road trip.

The variation with vanilla vodka sounds interesting but the flavored vodka craze has died down. Anyone know where to pick some up?

I’ve seen it cut or made with a combination of alcohol from Everclear, Fireball, and Vodka…but I think having some amount of Everclear is a key to getting the alcohol content that doesn’t overwhelm the taste.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

To reiterate, two keys I’ve found to making this work are to never mix in the booze while the solution of ingredients is above lukewarm, and to try and find a way to filter out a bit of the sediment that inevitably ends up in there when you use things like cinnamon sticks. We take a large bowl that has a pour spout on one side and let it settle in there for a good 30 minutes or so before bottling. Jars work decent, but I’m a fan of bottling it if you can as it’s easier to transport and not spill. I tell my neighbors and friends that if they want some, they better provide me with a clean glass bottle for it.

buck-slayer
    Participant

Does this have to be refridgerated when storing?

buck-slayer
    Participant

Alot of sediment in batch. Straining it through coffee filters is the right?

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

Alot of sediment in batch. Straining it through coffee filters is the right?

We put ours into large bowls with a pour spout on the side and cover them in the garage for a few hours. Then we slowly pour it through a coffee filter into glass bottles. You catch a majority of the sediment this way and it gives you a chance to catch up on beverage consumption while letting things settle toast

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

I leave the sediment in mine.

Viewing 28 posts - 61 through 88 (of 88 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.