Apple Pie – the perfect winter drink

• Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

Too many people ad their booze too early when it’s too hot.

If you’re going to add the Everclear when it’s hot, lean over the pot and inhale deeply. You’ll be drunk in no time! rotflol

Rodwork
    Participant
    Farmington, MN

I just made a batch of the Apple Pie last weekend and it is good. Don’t worry Mr. Beads I used almost a 1.75 to make it stronger for you. I will bring some to the Sturgeon GTG. I will have to try and make Sharon’s recipe next. That sounds great Sharon.
    I used to have a recipe for Kahlua that was also good.

sji
    Participant

Thanks to Tom for the recipe and starting this thread. Thanks to Gerty,Sharon and Randy for their recipes. I made a batch of each last night they tasted so good I was having a hard time deciding which one was my favorite. Now the problem is have several gallons of ” pie “. What I’m I going to do?

Deleted
    Participant

sji – that’s a good problem to have. I gotta get over to Wisconsin & buy some everclear, so I can make some this week.

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

I’ve got a pot on the stove right now…

Deleted
    Participant

Getting there. Got the everclear and the cinnamon sticks. Should be able to get the cider and apple juice this weekend and then it’s time to make some apple pie. Takes a while when you live 45 minutes from everything.

Attachments:
    1. B3B62D75-E943-4864-80D7-09055F115657.jpeg

sji
    Participant

Hear that! 20 mins for me but wouldn’t have it any other way.

Deleted
    Participant

I’ve got all the ingredients now for almost two full batches (1 1/2) ….. then I discover that the biggest pot I have is only 6.5 liters. So I’ve got to borrow a cooking vessel big enough for the job of at least one batch at a time. Good thing is I’ve got one I can borrow. I will have it done by the weekend!

Deleted
    Participant

Finally made two batches today, to split with my favorite neighbor. I bought all the stuff and he had the burner & big pot. Just in time for this sub zero nonsense !

Attachments:
    1. 6114B7D5-44F4-49CD-AF9F-CEB9355FEB1B.jpeg

Sharon
    Participant
    Dakota County, MN

Awesome! Looks good, Thomas! waytogo

1hl&sinker
    Participant
    On the St.Croix

So, I had this pie thing and not to impressed with the sugar thing. I think samples are In order. I can toast trade.

Deleted
    Participant

Officially had my first taste today & it definitely makes a difference if you used better cider & Watkins Cinnamon sticks. I used musselmans cider , the thick pulp at the bottom type! Me & my neighbor split the roughly 4 gallon batch. Here’s my half. I’m not giving any away except for visitors to the garage, so it’ll last a little while.

Attachments:
    1. 4EF6CEB3-ADD5-40B3-B25C-BFC21E89DC46.jpeg

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

I’m looking to make a batch this weekend between plowing runs. I’ve got a couple questions for those who have made it.

1. When you say “good cider” you’re referring to the thicker more natural looking stuff, correct?

2. After simmering the mixture and getting the temperature down to 120 or 130 and adding everclear, are you leaving the apple pie in the large container to cool or are you pouring it into the sterilized booze bottles pretty much right away while still quite warm?

3. No need to refrigerate I’m assuming?

Deleted
    Participant

We just never let it boil, getting it hot enough just so everything mixed well and stirring it worked just fine. We used a very small flame on the propane burner.

I went with musselmans cider from Walmart, any thicker pulpier quality should be fine. The darker the apple juice the better too. The thicker cider & darker juice carries more flavor. I also used Watkins cinnamon sticks from Menards.

When we got it hot enough , basically the cinnamon sticks start to unfold. You’ll see it cause they float on top.

Then we set ours outside, right in the pot, to cool to the touch. Left the lid cracked about 1/4. Stirred it outside too. Once you could put your finger in and it was Luke warm we brought it in and added the everclear. Stirred it up real good and used a glass measuring cup with a handle to scoop into the funnel and bottle everything.

I don’t refrigerate mine. I just stash it in the garage. It’s on the floor so it will stay cold enough to take a nip here and there. I keep a stack of Dixie cups in the window sill out there too.

dirk-w.
    Participant
    Minnesota

So you guys and gals drink this stuff warm or cold most of the time? I was thinking on ice in the pontoon, but maybe warm, or both. I’m so confused…

Sharon
    Participant
    Dakota County, MN

Both! It’s the kinda drink that you can enjoy cold or hot and they’re both delicious. I keep a jar in the fridge, then just have a small glass with no ice when I want a cold drink. And in winter months if I just can’t warm up, I like to heat up a cup on the stove (careful not to over-heat as it will burn off the alcohol) so it’s just warm enough like a cup of coffee and enjoy!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Sharons tip on cooling to 120 degrees is very important. Alcohol evaporates at about 170 degrees, much cooler than water. Too many people ad their booze too early when it’s too hot.

174 degrees is the boiling point, but evaporation will be greatly accelerated at 20 degrees less than that. Be careful how much you heat the stuff with the booze already in it. A microwave will likely promote evaporation moreso given the fan inside and the heating.

Deleted
    Participant

I like mine cool to cold. Garage is heated to 52 degrees so having the bottle on the floor or in the window sill – I’d say it stays the perfect temp.

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

If you can get fresh cider, you’ll have a better batch. Getting away from all the processed BS has much better flavor. Prefer mine cold. But the warm apple pie with cinnamon is a great 2nd place for me

sji
    Participant

Bitter cold days when you’ve been working outside and are chilled to the bone warm a mug up and let it do it’s magic.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

I started a batch about 20 minutes ago.

For those who have put it in mason jars, there’s no need to hot bath them or “can” them is there?

dirk-w.
    Participant
    Minnesota

Made a batch last night and I thought it was pretty good. Having some now, and, only a day later, it’s better – really tasty. So far, I’ve had it only on ice. With a liter of Everclear its plenty potent for me.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

Here’s what I went with:

-1 gallon apple cider
    -1 gallon apple juice
    -2 cups brown sugar
    -1 cup sugar
    -1 tablespoon apple pie seasoning
    -6 cinnamon sticks

All the above is simmering for about 45 minutes.

Once it’s cooled to room temp:

-750ml of 190 proof everclear
    -250ml fireball
    -500ml kettle one vodka

Stirred and added to mason jars and other sterilized bottles. I’m not sealing the jars in a hot bath. I’ll report back once samples are taken

sji
    Participant

If you wait to add booze until the mix is room temp could set the jars in fridge. Temp difference should make them seal if that’s what you want.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

If you wait to add booze until the mix is room temp could set the jars in fridge. Temp difference should make them seal if that’s what you want.

Put the jars in the fridge ahead of time? I’m not a “canner” at all so any details are appreciated.

sji
    Participant

nope, you need the jars to cool after the mix is in and lids on. The air inside shrinks as it cools pulling the lids down to seal. Just needs to lower the temp. can be 120 F to room temp or room temp to 32 F. For canning it has to be boiling from canner to room temp or hot water bath temp for acidic foods to room temp. For the amount of booze in this mix I would not be concerned.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

One batch down. It definitely looks pretty dark though.

Attachments:
    1. A2E1EDDC-C5A7-4A36-BD8A-84BAE1C71922.jpeg

Denny O
    Participant
    Central IOWA

WOW Bucky, you have already down a whole batch?! shock Steady boy steady. rotflol

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

WOW Bucky, you have already down a whole batch?! shock Steady boy steady. rotflol

What better way to make sure the batch is consistent across every pour, than consuming each one yourself!?! whistling

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

jester jester jester jester

That was my first reaction too toast

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 88 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.