Apostle Islands

• yahbuddy
    Holmen, WI

The wife and I will be heading up to Bayfield the end of September for our anniversary. We would like to check out some of the island and caves. We have never been up there so kind of clueless about what is up there to see and do. If anyone has some info or ideas it would be appreciated.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

You can go on a cruise boat or rent a canoe/kayak. Just google Apostle Islands and you will find lots of info. Done a couple short cruises that were just fine for a honeymoon.

EDIT ! For Sept trips around the fall color season, book now. Those trips fill up. Especially on weekends.

-J.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

There are a handful of light houses on the islands (Sand, Devil’s, Raspberry, Outer & Michigan). Devil’s Island by far has the most impressive caves. You’d really want to paddle in them to get the best experience but they’re on the north side of the island so there is big exposure to the main lake and it’s a fair distance out there. If paddling it would be a multiday camping trip. It’s open water paddling so I wouldn’t do it if it was only two people (when at sea take three).

There’s a regular ferry to Madeline Island (with vehicles). State Park for camping as well. Bayfield is pretty compact so a lot is within walking distance (bars, restaurants & shops).

I don’t know if they have such a thing but some type of sailing excursion might be worth looking into.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

The caves are very cool! My wife and I went up in the winter a few years back and could walk out on the ice into the caves. Maggie’s in Bayfield has good food too

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Funny the wife and I are headed up last weekend too. Staying at the rittenhouse inn. Got tickets for a cruise.

yahbuddy
    Holmen, WI

That’s cool crappie! We are staying at the Le Chateau the 3rd weekend. Thanks for the info!

yeahbuddy
    Holmen, WI

Does anyone have any info or experience with any of the cruise tours that we should look into?

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

Look up Escape Excursions…..It is Shelly Holland and she does a great job with tours of the Apostle Islands and that area.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.