Anyone still fish Francis?

• Jeff Schomaker
    Participant

I never see any recent reports on Francis. Does anyone on here fish the lake anymore? We are looking at heading up in a few weeks and were wondering if anyone could give us any tips?

Thank you

Jake D
    Participant
    Watertown, SD

Yes its open, Yes the fish are biting. Follow Allens on Facebook

Justin Laack
    Participant
    Austin,mn

I just got back from a 3 day trip out there on Sunday. Sharpe was still locked up tight. We stayed at Allens. Fishing was decent, mostly a jig a minnow bite, however I caught the majority of my fish on a jig and strike king baby z2 jerk minnow. Caught most of the fish in 18-20ft, water clarity was pristine. Nothing of any size really though, with the biggest going 18.5″, lots of cookie cutter 14-16″ers. The only landing that was open was up at fort thompson, then we had to boat back down 12-14 miles to the good fishing areas. However there was guys catching a few fish up by the dam in the fast water. We had to dodge quite a few icebergs on thursday and friday. Thousands and thousands of snow geese around.

Jeff Schomaker
    Participant

Thanks for the info! We will be staying in Platte Creek & Pease Creek area. Possibly fishing below the Fort Randle dam.

Browndog
    Participant
    Omaha, NE

Thanks for the info! We will be staying in Platte Creek & Pease Creek area. Possibly fishing below the Fort Randle dam.

If you’re going in a few weeks I would focus north of Platte Creek. The fish will be post spawn for the most part and funneling out of the bays to feed. I wouldn’t waste my time in the fast water. The majority of those fish will be heading back down river also. There are some flats inside of Platte Creek that would be decent. 15-20 FOW is where i’d start.

Michael Best
    Participant

Out here now for the first trip of the year.
    Took us 5 hours to get our limit. Caught 30 today. 15 to 22’ of water. Crow creek area was the best. Kiowa has sone fish on it as well.

Campground access in town has been open for a week or two.
    The access in the bay in town opened up today.

Justin Laack
    Participant
    Austin,mn

Crow creek area was the best. Kiowa has sone fish on it as well.

Kiowa has been getting pounded like crazy, for the last month. Try back downstream towards town past the bend, go about another 1/2 3/4 mi. 15′-18′. We did really well there once we left everyone up at Kiowa and got on some fresh fish that hadn’t been getting pressured.

Michael Best
    Participant

Fished up at Crow creek yesterday.
    Took us 2 hours to get our limit. Jigs/minnow did best. Did get some fish on a jig with a Kalins jerk minnow.

Was checked by the warden yesterday. It was good to see him out there making a presence.

Water temps in town and by the pump house were a couple degrees cooler than up by crow creek.
    Warmest water we seen was 38 degrees.

Jeff Schomaker
    Participant

We leave next Thursday the 20th and of course the weather is taking a turn for the worse. Just my luck…..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.