Anyone own an RT model?

• Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

Looking at the potential of selling the Reata and getting an RT model…not sure on 178 or 188. For how I fish the river the Reata isn’t the best option. I’d like to be able to get into skinny water year round.

I know this is more of a bass boat but I’m typically casting year round so the layout seems good. Anyone running one of these for walleye or on rivers? Would love some opinions.

We originally bought the Reata for fishing and family but with a family pontoon the Reata has become a fishing boat only.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

I have a 2015 Ranger RT178 with a 75 hp 4-stroke merc. Bought it new in December 2015 so I’ve had it for almost 6 seasons now. Since it’s a mod v, it’s not great in choppy water but I didn’t buy it for that purpose. I primarily lake fish in it. It drafts very shallow. Accesses that are tougher for standard V hulls are fine for me. I have been happy with the boat since I bought it. One thing I would change is the rod locker. It only holds 7 and it’s off to the side. I believe the 188 has a bigger center rod locker. You can PM me if you want for more info.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

A local stick here did the exact opposite (or close). He had the RT for walleye fishing backwaters, wingdams, and for running out of the channel between some islands to fish panfish. I think it served its purpose and he liked it, but found himself starting to troll more and fish more open spots with rougher water so opted for something deeper. It was a nice rig that never gave him issues and always looked nearly too nice for what he used it to do.

Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

I have a 2015 Ranger RT178 with a 75 hp 4-stroke merc. Bought it new in December 2015 so I’ve had it for almost 6 seasons now. Since it’s a mod v, it’s not great in choppy water but I didn’t buy it for that purpose. I primarily lake fish in it. It drafts very shallow. Accesses that are tougher for standard V hulls are fine for me. I have been happy with the boat since I bought it. One thing I would change is the rod locker. It only holds 7 and it’s off to the side. I believe the 188 has a bigger center rod locker. You can PM me if you want for more info.

That’s great info…might PM you as I get closer to pulling the trigger. Pricing out both the 178 and 188 but will need to see them in person I think. What are you running for a trolling motor? I’ve never been a foot pedal guy but I know you can get an ultrex with I pilot.

Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

A local stick here did the exact opposite (or close). He had the RT for <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleye fishing backwaters, wingdams, and for running out of the channel between some islands to fish panfish. I think it served its purpose and he liked it, but found himself starting to troll more and fish more open spots with rougher water so opted for something deeper. It was a nice rig that never gave him issues and always looked nearly too nice for what he used it to do.

Sounds about right. I rarely find myself trolling anymore and you don’t really worry about big water on P2 anywhere. If I end up on a big lake I have a bunch of buddies with big glass boats. I’ll pickup the gas!

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

That’s great info…might PM you as I get closer to pulling the trigger. Pricing out both the 178 and 188 but will need to see them in person I think. What are you running for a trolling motor? I’ve never been a foot pedal guy but I know you can get an ultrex with I pilot.

I have a 70 pound thrust Maxxum. The Ultrex was not out until 2016 otherwise I would have gotten that instead. I have a 12 foot talon on the stern too.

Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

Trying to decide on the talon. I have one on the Reata but the only thing I use it for is when I launch where there isn’t a dock. With a lighter boat a talon may be more useful though.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Trying to decide on the talon. I have one on the Reata but the only thing I use it for is when I launch where there isn’t a dock. With a lighter boat a talon may be more useful though.

The primary reason I bought the talon was because my bow mount didn’t have spot lock. If I had an Ultrex with spot lock, I would probably forego the talon.

On this particular model, they are unable to mount the talon directly to the transom because of how irregularly shaped it is. I have a sandwich bracket. At the time, I was unaware that using a sandwich bracket voided the Mercury factory warranty. Obviously now its a moot point since I have had it for 6 years but if I had known that at the time, I would have done it another way. Just something to keep in mind if you are getting a new Mercury outboard.

Here are some photos of my rig if that helps. I’m sure some of these features are different now. At the time, the max size screen I could flush mount was only 7 inches. I would highly recommend the polymer-vinyl interior instead of marine carpet.

If you have room for the 188 version, I would go with that one. I don’t have room for a bigger boat in my garage so I bought the 178. The 188 can handle a 115 hp outboard and has a nice big center rod locker.

Attachments:
    1. boat-spare-tire.jpg

2. boat-motor-talon.jpg

3. rod-locker.jpg

4. boat-brand-model.jpg

5. boat-console.jpg

6. boat-layout.jpg

Ripjiggen
    Participant

Matt,

Are you looking at anything else or just the Ranger?

Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

Matt,

I might look at something else. I’ve just had such good luck with the Ranger and buying TBC I haven’t looked at a lot else.

Thoughts?

Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Moen wrote:</div>

The primary reason I bought the talon was because my bow mount didn’t have spot lock. If I had an Ultrex with spot lock, I would probably forego the talon.

On this particular model, they are unable to mount the talon directly to the transom because of how irregularly shaped it is. I have a sandwich bracket. At the time, I was unaware that using a sandwich bracket voided the Mercury factory warranty. Obviously now its a moot point since I have had it for 6 years but if I had known that at the time, I would have done it another way. Just something to keep in mind if you are getting a new Mercury outboard.

Here are some photos of my rig if that helps. I’m sure some of these features are different now. At the time, the max size screen I could flush mount was only 7 inches. I would highly recommend the polymer-vinyl interior instead of marine carpet.

If you have room for the 188 version, I would go with that one. I don’t have room for a bigger boat in my garage so I bought the 178. The 188 can handle a 115 hp outboard and has a nice big center rod locker.

Super helpful. Thanks for sending.

Ripjiggen
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>
    Matt,

I might look at something else. I’ve just had such good luck with the Ranger and buying TBC I haven’t looked at a lot else.

Thoughts?

Don’t get me wrong I run a ranger. I just have not been nearly as impressed since they sold, and frankly others have stepped there game as well. Was just curious if you were dead set on that boat as I feel like there are some good river options out there, but can’t say I am the guy to give those suggestions as I am a deep V guy. whistling

I just believe I wouldn’t buy a tin boat from a glass company as I would not buy a glass boat from a tin company. I would buy a boat from TBC though. 😀

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

The other two models I was looking at when I bought this boat in 2015 were a Crestliner mod V and a Bass Tracker mod V, both in the same 17.5 foot class. I went with the Ranger because at the time their dealer and service location were closer in proximity to my house. I didn’t really like the Bass Tracker because of the lack of options even though it was about $4,000 less.

Another boat worth considering now is the Lund Renegade series. This was introduced a couple years after I bought my boat. The same size Lund Renegade can handle a 90 hp outboard, and the trailer is significant shorter for storage. Just something to think about.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Don’t get me wrong I run a ranger.

What model and year to do you have?

Ripjiggen
    Participant

2020 620. Before that a 2015 619.

Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

I had a Lund tin boat in the past…wasn’t overly impressed. Like I said, the current ranger has been a great boat and the dealer service has been great. Ranger has been making run boats for awhile now and I’ve never heard any say “I wish I wouldn’t have bought the ranger.”

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

I know a couple people that have gone to Skeeter from Rangers lately. They said fit, feel and storage were their reasons. Sorry I have nothing to offer other than I would love to own your Ranger, just can’t afford it for now. Good luck with your search Matt.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.