Anyone know where to get these

• Sam
    St.Francis

I have been looking everywhere to buy these pike hooks and can’t find them anyone know where to buy some

Attachments:
    1. image8.jpg

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

The last time I got some of those was at vados bait in Blaine MN

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Those are crazy, are they for really big pike or just some design that makes it tough for the pike to swallow the hook?

Jeffrey Trapp
    Milbank, SD

Those are crazy, are they for really big pike or just some design that makes it tough for the pike to swallow the hook?

Right? I’ve never seen such a thing!

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

I feel like that’s used for putting a decoy sucker on. Looks like it’d work pretty nicely. Otherwise, maybe put it on a tip-up and run it the full length of the sucker so the barb comes out of its back fairly far back?

MN DNR Fisheries – Lake City
    Lake CIty, MN

Just as a heads up for folks. Those hooks are often called “pike hooks” or “Swedish hooks” and were used primarily because they held a dead bait horizontal. There are a number of studies that have been done comparing them to trebles or other single hooks and every study I have seen links them to HIGH hooking mortality rates. (See link below to a study done in the 1990s by the WI DNR that showed them to have a 33% hooking mortality rate compared to <1% for treble hooks) I think they have primarily been replaced by quick strike rigs that cause much lower mortality, yet retain the ability to hold a dead bait horizontal.

http://documents.mx/documents/hooking-mortality-of-northern-pike-angled-through-the-ice.html

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Learning more on Ido by accident then other places by design.

Thanks Nick!

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

I have 4 of these left over from the old days…..worked so-so using smelt…..haven’t used one in many years….

Sam
    St.Francis

I use them with shad and smelt I love using them I just found a couple in my grandpas old tacklebox and would like to get some more as far as the high mortality rate I take almost every pike I catch since they are mostly around the 24-30 inch range

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I had about 50 of these hooks in the antique shop when it was in Red Wing. I sold them to a guy for a quarter apiece.

404 ERROR
    MN

Quick strike rigs are much more effective and much safer. Better hook sets and like stated above, MUCH lower mortality rate. 6 hooks compared to 1? I’ll take the six. If you are still set on these, Sportsman Guide sells them and you can pick them up in their warehouse in South St. Paul.

Sam
    St.Francis

they look ridiculous but I have never broke one or had one bend on a fish these are the only hooks my grandfather ever used and they always got the job done

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

we used them growing up with frozen smelt. you have to be close to tip up and strike fast. They spit them out when they cant swallow bait. They do kill fish the cam action makes them go right into the top of the head right between the eyes. We switched to treble hooks in WI and did not worry about how the smelt hung horizontal vertical. The pike did not care but we caught more fish with most in corner of jaws etc.

Mwal

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Ow crap now I feel old.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.